High Speed Photography Pictures

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
jolt-explosion-1.jpg

bullet-10.jpg

banana-1.jpg

Greta

Flashaholic
WOW! Very cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Did you take those, Peter?

Chengiz

Enlightened
Peter,
were you using a 9mm?

Very pretty shots. Though I believe the Queens would have survived as long as they didn't have organs in common.

I have other calibres if needed. Hollow points too. Just show me how to get my instamatic to capture these.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
It broke my heart to see that poor can of jolt die in such a senseless manner. On the other hand the banana was just asking for it.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting site... I wonder what a shotgun shell impact would look like? If I remember correctly Popular Science (or Mechanics?) had an article on High Speed Photography sometime over the summer.

-Mike

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashes_balloon.gif

(It's a bit hard to tell but that's a baloon breaking)
Doc Edgerton was one of the nicest professors you could meet at MIT. I didn't work with him but at least I got to meet him before he headed for the big strobe light in the sky.

That Jolt Cola pic is so appropriate for the product it should be used in an ad. Those are great new pictures!

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
Can you get a bird's eye pic of a bullet hitting a razor blade?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a pic of an SOG Bowie. The ad ran in a few magazines in the early 90s IIRC.

faced5eb.jpg

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doctor Edgerton made the apple with the bullet passing through it famous. It was an amazing feat and was done I think with a series of strobes and many, many tries.
Not to take away from his achievement at all as it was amazing. Here are some pictures from I think around the early 60's that were taken in one try.

another apple

armor plate

aluminum

bag

fish in tank

plexi

glass

more glass

Mike

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
I have a large stack of strobe picts from 1952 around here somewhere. Along with other junk.

Back then a fellow $127/month Great Lakes sailor and myself wanted to get strobe flash units. Having just blown my savings on a Speed Graphic we got creative. We called Life Magazine and asked where they got their studio units from and they directed us to Strobo Reasearch in Millwaukee. Next liberty we headed off to BeerTown and looked up SR. We found them, they looked open so we went in and introduced ourselves. They were setting up shots of a baseball breaking a window and asked us if we wanted to stay and help. Spent the rest of the day with them and left with schematics and drawings of their upcoming "Portable" model.

We made up a pair of units in the Base Hobby Shop with parts from Chicago's surplus market and Allied Radio. The four main Capacitors were surplus Sonar ones rated at 12mF @ 2500V charged to 2000V with an oscilloscope transformer. That's 96 wattseconds! The finished units were about the size of a breadbox and weighed in at 15 pounds, the flash head was a coffee can with a cut down auto headlight reflector, and LOTS of insulation. Total cost was around $60 including the GE flash tube. I used mine for about ten years until the caps finaly died. The SR guys were really impressed with what we did and gave us a lot of tips and practice time in their lab. Lots of bits of fruit and veggies, broken glass and Cordite fumes. Ah, the joys of my mis-spent youth...

One of the best shots we helped with was a bullet leaving the barrel of a .38 S&W halfway to my buddy's head, a double exposure of course.

The company sold out to Graflex after we left Great Lakes and later became part of Honeywell.