help - 3D maglite battery cover stuck

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect brute force will be the answer. If you have a vice to clamp the tail cap in, then you'll be able to get more rotational force onto the body tube.

If you've got some penetrating/dismantling fluid, then it might be worth spraying the join with some.

varmint

Enlightened
Soak in Kroil Oil for awhile or Zep penetrating oil. It will work wonders if given time. From time to time hit the thread area with a a non metallic mallet.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
To do little or no damage try some penetrating oil (not WD40 since it's not a lube), wait several minutes, and try using strap wrenchs. You can find strap wrenches at Harbor Freight and other places for very little money.

If it's still not moving, apply a bit more oil and tap the end gently. Wait a few more minutes and give it another try.

Let us know if that doesn't work and someone will give another suggestion.

sniper

Enlightened
Kroil, then Vise Grip pliers, padded with a layer of thin leather to avoid marring the cap ...just turn it the right way. (Don't ask how I know this!)

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the penetrating oil use a cannon wrench (used in avionics) or strap wrench, or a rubber pad. I've also wrapped pliers with duct tape. If none of that works, try dipping the end cap in boiling water for a short time. Brute force and penetrating oil will work over time.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you dont have a strap wrench or similar. Try to push the battery cover hard against a rubber surface and try to turn it to open. That work for me once.

Rayman

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Break-Free is an excellent product. It's never failed to unstick anything I've ever used it on. Glockboy, however, does have a point.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
If they are one a few brands batteries, such as Duracell and rayovac, maglite will replace the light for free.

Neal

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get the light open and the batteries are stuck, don't panic. There are threads that have been posted here over the years on how to get 'em out. Just do a search. The tube in a Maglite is pretty durable.

But yes, if you don't want to hassle with it check the Maglite website and/or the website of the manufacturer of the batteries.