Computer Question --> CD burner for Win98

avusblue

Enlightened
OK I don't know who else to ask, so I'll post this to the collective wisdom of the group. (pretty much every topic I've ever asked about here, has found an expert with great advice so far!) Thanks in advance for your help.

FACTS:

1) My home PC is a 5+ year old IBM ThinkPad 390E laptop running Windows 98. It has Pentium II at 366mhz. It has a removable internal DVD-ROM drive. While this machine is old and slow by current standards, it has been reliable, and it meets my needs just fine --primarily basic dial-up surf, email, letter writing, Quicken, and light spreadsheeting. As a result, I have no current intention of replacing it.

2) I use a zip drive to regularly back up the hard drive (the main thing I need to protect is my Quicken files and financial records).

3) Having recently gotten "into" digital photography, the amount of pictures now stored on my hard drive has exceeded the size I can back up on a zip disk.

4) I want the capability of burning CD's so I can organize and store picture files "off the computer" and so it is easier to share pictures with others (I use dial up internet so emailing pictures is cumbersome).

QUESTIONS:

1) Is an external USB CD burner a good solution for this old computer? What are your experiences with external USB CD burners?

1.5) Ideally, I'd like to find a used actual IBM CD burner drive module that could slot into the computer's "ultrabay", but there doesn't seem to be one available. Ideas?

2) The external USB burners I've seen (at Best Buy and Wal-Mart) say on the box that they are for Windows 98SE and above. I have Windows 98 (non "SE"). Could I use one of these burners anyway? What are the risks or differences in compatibility?

3) How prudent, or foolish, is it to buy something like this on eBay, when I don't know much about them (or installing them?)

4) [Feeler] Any CPF'ers have something like this laying around they'd be willing to sell?

Again, advice and feedback is much appreciated. I feel out of my comfort zone when it comes to these things.

Thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

was_jlh

Enlightened
Dave, in reference to 1.5, have you gone to ibm's site, put in your model number and let it search for applicable drives? If those are too pricey, there may be something in their recertified section.

Joe

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
was_jlh said:
Dave, in reference to 1.5, have you gone to ibm's site, put in your model number and let it search for applicable drives? If those are too pricey, there may be something in their recertified section.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

I did look -- no joy, as far as I could find. I don't think they offered a CD RW for the Ultrabay FX. I could certainly be wrong.

Dave

PS -- BTW, I do offer kudos to IBM for their excellent support of long out-of-production PCs. Their support site is excellent. This for me, is one additional reason I'm loyal to ThinkPads.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Was worth a shot.

The first question in the USB FAQ may be helpful, if you go that route:
http://www.usb.org/faq/ans3#q1

If you do buy one, I would keep an eye on the "deals" forums and find one at a good price, but I'm tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Joe

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put win98se on that notebook. just buy an OEM FULL Win98SE via eBay. Then you can go ahead and use those USB cdrw drives or {DROOL} DVD burner!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found eBay very reliable. Just check the sellers feedback (sooner or later every seller ends up with negative feedback). The question is how much and how often. That will tell you all you need to know.

I haven't gotten burned, yet, buying on eBay, and I have bought quite alot that way.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

Don't forget, that laptop only has 1.1 usb ports. So an external burner will max out at 4X. I've used an Iomega external CD burner on an older Win 98 desktop that was for Windows 98 SE or above and it worked just fine. You could probably pick up an older 1.1 usb external CD burner on Ebay for around $20.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend that you look into updates from IBM and Microsoft before you do anything. Updates for yor BIOS as well as operating system related updates from both IBM and Microsoft. This is to ensure that you at least have the latest updates for your USB port/ports.

Along with a USB burner, you might want to look at an external USB hard drive. Maxtor (to name one)has some nice USB external hard drives that are backwards compatible with the older USB standards. Or possibly a USB thumb drive for portability, they come in 16MB on up to over a GIG. The ones for 128MB and 256MB can be had for well under $75.00. Or maybe even a combination of these options as they are all good possibilities.

Mike

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
Hey Guys,

Don't forget, that laptop only has 1.1 usb ports. So an external burner will max out at 4X. I've used an Iomega external CD burner on an older Win 98 desktop that was for Windows 98 SE or above and it worked just fine. You could probably pick up an older 1.1 usb external CD burner on Ebay for around $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much. That's helpful. Here's what I went ahead and bought.

Wish me luck! Any advice on using the thing once it arrives, please feel free to chime in!

Dave

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to use name brand cd's, I have had good success with TDK. If it's important data, do not be afraid to back it up on multiple cd's. Cd's are not perfect and do fail, no media is 100% infallible. Here are a couple of links that you may find helpful......

burner help link #1

burner help link #2

Mike

was_jlh

Enlightened
If you go with TDK's, make sure to get the ones made in Japan.

Joe

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that if you use cdRW discs, they must be formatted by the packet writing software before you can use them for RWs. It is a waste to use RWs for CDR/ROM.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto with the brand name cd's. I have had a few fail me..not many, but a few. TDK's work very well and have had no problem with them. I've probably used as hundred or so. I've also had good luck with Imation for what it's worth.

As for burning software, you may find what comes with the burner may not suit your needs(then again it might). I use Nero 5.5 and wouldn't consider switching unless I could see a vast difference in features and stability. Accept maybe Nero 6. I don't however know if this software will work on a USB burner. It's worked well on all my internal burners very well but again, I haven't tried Nero on external burners.