How do I upgrade my Dereelight DBS?

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
I have a DBS V2 that I got about 3 1/2 years ago. It is listed as DBS V2 w/3SM Cree XR-E module R2. I'm under the impression the 18500 extension tube will fit and allow me to use (3) CR123 batteries. But it stated the extension will only increase the run time. What would I need to get more light (lumens). Thanks.

fvdk

Newly Enlightened
For more lumens, you should get the DBS V3 700 lumens series XM-L module but it will give less trow.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Plenty of options for the DBS, as they take a standard sized P60 drop-in. Choose what you want from the many, many different available drop-ins (you aren't restricted to just those made/sold by Dereelight). Factors to consider include: lumens/lux, current draw/run time, spill/throw, battery voltage, price/reliability, availability, shipping costs etc.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want more throw you need to get the aspherical head or get a pill with a Cree XP-C in it. That will give you less lumens, but more candlepower(lux). If you want more lumens and you are ok with losing a little throw get a XM-L drop-in. That would give you a noticeable increase in lumens output with a pretty useable beam. The hotspot would be a little bit less bright than your current setup and also a little bigger in diameter.

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Well the lumens and lux thing has me confused - I want more light to show up at a distance. What do I need? Thanks.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the lumens and lux thing has me confused - I want more light to show up at a distance. What do I need? Thanks.

Lumens is the overall light comming out. Usually really bright lights with a ton of lumens won't throw as far like my Tripple XM-L lights at 2000 plus real OTF lumens gets spanked in throw by 200 lumen lights

Lux is the intensity of the beam. More intensity will throw light further. Usually less lumens but optimal for throw are my throwers

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lumens is the overall light comming out. Usually really bright lights with a ton of lumens won't throw as far like my Tripple XM-L lights at 2000 plus real OTF lumens gets spanked in throw by 200 lumen lights

Lux is the intensity of the beam. More intensity will throw light further. Usually less lumens but optimal for throw are my throwers

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
What bigchelis said. Lux is the parameter you need to be concerned about for distance. 1 lux at 1 meter is equal to 1 candela or 1 candlepower.

If you are looking for more distance from your DBS I highly suggest getting the aspheric head. I have one and it gave a noticeable amount of throw vs. the reflector. For instance, my Thrunite Catapult V3 throws farther than my DBS with reflector but gets spanked by the DBS with the aspherical head on it. The aspheric head will give you a beam that is shaped like the LED chip(wires and all). You will have all hotspot and almost zero spill. The high contrast helps see farther in the distance in addition to the increase in candlepower.