Really? Not much love for the Jetbeam PC10?

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
First real post after my intro...
I ordered this baby off an official Jetbeam seller on ebay, and I am very happy with the light. I have seen some reviews on youtube and not all of them were the most glowing of report. I also was very interested to read about this light's performance when using a RCR123, if in fact the other modes were still available other than tactical ( turbo ).
I heard that it did not tail stand very well, and the clip was too low and interfered with the rotating head.
Yes, the light is a little tricky to tail stand at times, especially with the lanyard I use. I am using a smaller Fenix lanyard than the one that came in the box. However, I can get it to tail stand with little difficulty.
The clip does in fact suck. I replaced it with the clip that came on my LD10. It works great as the clip is offset differently than the PC10 one. The PC 10 clip attachment point is at the top of the clip itself, making almost the entire length of the clip extend far down towards the head end of the light. It extends so far from its attachment point that it interferes with rotation of the head when switching modes.
The LD10 clip is offset in such a way that the attachment point is 1/4 of the way down the clip itself, with only 3/4 of the clip heading towards the head end, and 1/4 of the upper clip towards the tail of the light. This means that this clip which is about the same length as the stock clip, sits further towards the back of the light, making less of the light stick out of your pocket, and most importantly, clear the head. I will order another clip for my LD10.
Ah yes... the RCR 123 issue. Would it be like the PA10 which supposedly lost its user defined modes with a 3.7 volt battery?
Well I can confirm that with my PC10 and a Trustfire RCR123 3.7 volt, I got all the modes except for the high on the user defined modes. It appeared to be as bright as the tactical ( turbo mode ). I am more than happy with the available modes, and I don't really mind that the strobe and SOS aren't hidden.
It is very, very bright!
It is nice to know that I can use a primary battery, a Tenergy rechargeable 3.0 RCR123A, or a 3.7 RCR123a for maximum power. It is currently my favourite EDC.
I plan on getting the RRT 0 XML soon, and I figure that will become my newest favourite. I look forward to the infinite ring, the more battery options, and tactical combat ring I can put on the bezel.
But for $30 less, this is one heck of a light and well worth the money. I have not idea about the light's longevity. It appears as solid as a tank. It is shorter than the RRT 0 w/o the extender tube. Just a nice compact powerful flashlight with nice features. Just replace that clip!!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd be more interested if Jetbeam went back to the IBS interface and the floodier beam pattern of their popular old-school lights, but it's good to see they're at least keeping up in the insane-output-on-Li-ion category.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I too have been looking at the PC10, I even emailed JetBEAM the other week to confirm what modes you get when running on RCR123's.

It's definitely one I'm going to get.

Maxspam

Newly Enlightened
Not happy with it, The tail-cap construction is very shotty and I'm having driver issues. I think I might actually send it back...

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear you having trouble with your jetbeam PC10.
My first Eagle Tac was a P20A2 and it was gimped right from the start, still waiting for a replacement module. Kind of sours the whole Eagle Tac thing for me in one way, but I have to realize that it was a random lemon, and future Eagle Tacs should not give me grief.
I have two jet Beams and they are solid with no issues.

Maxspam

Newly Enlightened
I definitely don't feel I got what I paid for, Its bright as hell but they definitely cut some corners with this one. The tailcap switch flickers when you use it, the brightness towards the end of a cell tapers off dramatically only at 260 lumens (I would love to see some curves, what a joke) I was far more happy with the build quality coming from fenix in the form of the TA-30 which I paid almost the same price for.

Casebrius

Newly Enlightened
My tailcap works fine. I initially thought I had problems with the light but it seems I had a defective AW-RCR123. So far this light seems solid (besides the clip) to me.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Again I am not a JetBeam fanboy, but I believe you have a lemon. What you describe is certainly not applicable to my light. By saying ' THE tail cap switch flickers...' instead of 'MY tail cap switch flickers ' it makes it sound like this is a 'feature' of all PC10s.
I have a bunch of Fenixes as well, and my PC10 is just as good in terms of quality and performance.
I'd return it if I were you. Sounds like you have a defective unit.

I definitely don't feel I got what I paid for, Its bright as hell but they definitely cut some corners with this one. The tailcap switch flickers when you use it, the brightness towards the end of a cell tapers off dramatically only at 260 lumens (I would love to see some curves, what a joke) I was far more happy with the build quality coming from fenix in the form of the TA-30 which I paid almost the same price for.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
BullsEyeLantern said:
I ordered this baby off an official Jetbeam seller on ebay, and I am very happy with the light. I have seen some reviews on youtube and not all of them were the most glowing of report. I also was very interested to read about this light's performance when using a RCR123, if in fact the other modes were still available other than tactical ( turbo ).
I heard that it did not tail stand very well, and the clip was too low and interfered with the rotating head.
Yes, the light is a little tricky to tail stand at times, especially with the lanyard I use. I am using a smaller Fenix lanyard than the one that came in the box. However, I can get it to tail stand with little difficulty.
The clip does in fact suck. I replaced it with the clip that came on my LD10. It works great as the clip is offset differently than the PC10 one. The PC 10 clip attachment point is at the top of the clip itself, making almost the entire length of the clip extend far down towards the head end of the light. It extends so far from its attachment point that it interferes with rotation of the head when switching modes.
The LD10 clip is offset in such a way that the attachment point is 1/4 of the way down the clip itself, with only 3/4 of the clip heading towards the head end, and 1/4 of the upper clip towards the tail of the light. This means that this clip which is about the same length as the stock clip, sits further towards the back of the light, making less of the light stick out of your pocket, and most importantly, clear the head. I will order another clip for my LD10.
Ah yes... the RCR 123 issue. Would it be like the PA10 which supposedly lost its user defined modes with a 3.7 volt battery?
Well I can confirm that with my PC10 and a Trustfire RCR123 3.7 volt, I got all the modes except for the high on the user defined modes. It appeared to be as bright as the tactical ( turbo mode ). I am more than happy with the available modes, and I don't really mind that the strobe and SOS aren't hidden.
It is very, very bright!
It is nice to know that I can use a primary battery, a Tenergy rechargeable 3.0 RCR123A, or a 3.7 RCR123a for maximum power. It is currently my favourite EDC.
I plan on getting the RRT 0 XML soon, and I figure that will become my newest favourite. I look forward to the infinite ring, the more battery options, and tactical combat ring I can put on the bezel.
But for $30 less, this is one heck of a light and well worth the money. I have not idea about the light's longevity. It appears as solid as a tank. It is shorter than the RRT 0 w/o the extender tube. Just a nice compact powerful flashlight with nice features. Just replace that clip!!

Your story sounds exactly the same as the road I'm going down. After my first light (PC10) I was so impressed with its turbo brightness, I had to get a RRT-0 XML the next week. The brightness of the two on RCRs is the same but now i use the extender and 14500s in the RRT-0 (so I can easily switch to eneloops if needed). After having the benefit of multiple cell compatibility, I then purchased a Zebralight SC80 (gave my PC10 to my wife for her purse with a CR123) which is an awesome light and now I'm tempted to get a SC51. If only the JETBeam PA10 worked on all modes with a 14500, I'd buy that in a heartbeat but for now I bought a quark x AA2 and I'm waiting for the AA body. I hope whatever new lights JETBeam releases in the future go through a better quality control process to make sure these flaws get fixed before they go on sale.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having driver issues.

What does this mean?

The brightness towards the end of a cell tapers off dramatically only at 260 lumens (I would love to see some curves, what a joke).

What does this mean?

The PC10 has been tested as drawing 2.11A on an RCR123 and 2.66A on an IMR 16340.
That's pretty high, might cause problems with some batteries?
I plan on buying this light, so I'd like to know more.

Maxspam

Newly Enlightened
Maybe my cells are defective, I am using titanium innovation CR123A cells rated at 3.0V and 1400mAh. It seems to me that after only a few minutes on full brightness (with a cr123a NOT rcr123a, 260 lumens MAX) the light's brightness dims dramatically to the point where I cant tell a difference in light output between high and medium. This to me signifies that the driver isn't sucking the max current out of the battery until the end of the cells lifespan. I would like to see some brightness/runtime graphs of this light, that's what I meant by "curves" I believe my unit to be defective and I have emailed both battery junction and jetbeam requesting warranty service. Ideally I would like to get my money back and go with a Thrunite scorpion or T30, haven't decided yet.

FullAuto

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a PC10 about 2 weeks ago but it was on backorder. I'm hoping it ships soon.

Danielight

Enlightened
Not happy with it, The tail-cap construction is very shotty and I'm having driver issues. I think I might actually send it back...
Interesting that the tailcap construction is poor on your PC10. I purchased the BC10 around Christmas time, and ended up sending it back because of problems with the clicky switch on the tail. I wonder if Jetbeam is having QA issues here? [BTW, I also bought a BA10 for my daughter as a Christmas gift, and the switch on its tailcap seems fine.]

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it could definately could be a quality control issue. It might very well be a fluke that I have two great Jetbeam lights out of two. I guess one has to be careful to buy them from good dealers with amazing CS.

Snareman

Enlightened

You must have seen my less than glowing video. About 20min long? Glad to hear you were able to improve the clip but it should have been better designed from the beginning. Mine went back. Just seemed like it should have been better designed overall, but I'm glad you're liking yours. :)

HIDC

Banned
Don't bother with the RRT-0 XML unless you will run primaries only or IMR. I got it a few days ago and it's uncomfortable running with AW 16430. I've read so many reviews about it but running on max for more than 30 seconds makes the light quite warm/hot. The problem is you have NO IDEA where the "safe" 1.5a draw mark is with the variable ring. I ordered the RRT-0 R5 now and will sell the XML version when it arrives.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Love the PC10!

I leave it on turbo for tactical use, otherwise on the Extra Low setting for nighttime use - perfect low brightness for this use.

Runtime great with RCR's too!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding your tailstanding issue (jetbeam loves to make fake taistanders!), have you tried that trick where you press its boot down as you screw down the tailcap to keep as much air out of it as possible, so it doesn't bulge past the shroud so much? Makes any difference? Either way thanks for the awesome review B.E.L. Sounds like the PC10 deserves a 2nd look!

Maxspam said:
I definitely don't feel I got what I paid for, Its bright as hell but they definitely cut some corners with this one. The tailcap switch flickers when you use it...

What you describe is certainly not applicable to my light. By saying ' THE tail cap switch flickers...' instead of 'MY tail cap switch flickers ' it makes it sound like this is a 'feature' of all PC10s.
+1
We all thought he was implying that your tailcap flickered. No way to tell he was talking about his light really, unless you're some kind of master at deciphering context.

BullsEyeLantern said:
...and I am very happy with the light.
Wait, you're happy with all pc10's? Even Maxspam's, the one that flickers?1
y
:confused:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Following a thread posted here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?343372-JETBEAM-PC10-program-modes I recently realized even in Turbo mode you can cycle through the Daily Mode if switching off and on or soft-pressing repeatedly when off - just as you would normally cycle through when in Daily mode.
That happens with all flashlights of the same series . Find this to be a pretty major drawback. I'm just curious to find out if Nitecore fixed this with the MT series.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one about 2 months ago and I like it. The only issue I have is its tint, which is blue-ish. I also have a PA-10, which is basically the same light but with a AA instead of a CR123, but the PA-10's tint is neutral. Aside from that, I really dont have any issues with it.