Please comment: Quark Mini AA "PWM"

clip_point

Newly Enlightened
So I ordered a 4Sevens Quark Mini AA in High CRI form and am kind of excited in anticipation of it's arrival in the mail. But lately I've been reading about the fact that low to medium modes on this light are controlled via PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). I would appreciate it if current (and past) owners of the Quark Mini AA would chime in and post their experiences with the PWM driven modes of this light.

How noticeable is it?
How audible is it?

I don't care whether it's PWM driven or not, so long as I can't notice it.

Thank you for any input! :)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Seven's owner, David, has mentioned that, for their lights that use PWM, they are set at very high frequency, so it's not really going to be noticeable.

Also, PWM doesn't create audible noise. The high-pitched whining noise that you might hear from some flashlights are from the inductor. It won't affect the performance of the light but some people, myself included, find the noise annoying.

yifu

Enlightened
It's audible but not visually noticeable, unless you wave it around or watch the beam through a camera.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's high enough frequency not to notice at all unless you wave it infront of your eyes really fast while looking at the head in the dark, even then hardly so. I haven't had issues with it being audible either, though on 14500 I can hear it if I hold it to my ear. I know inductor whine can cause the whining noise (PWM itself is neither necessary nor sufficient to guarantee a whine) but PWM switching of different frequencies is certainly responsible for whining on some lights, no question about it. On my iTP A3 3 mode the freq is so low on low mode I can almost distiguish it as individual click click noises, just very fast, on med it's more of a traditional whine, like a very quiet chaingun actually! On high there is no whine as it doesn't use PWM. This same pattern but at higher relative frequencies is apparent on most of my 7135 linear driver based drop-ins to varying degrees. This does not however mean that all lights using PWM will whine, only some. It's usually correlated with the power going through also, (the iTP A3 is much loader on 10440 than ni-mh) so a light with low output like the Mini AA you would be unlucky to find audible PWM.

On a side note, if you have any PWM based lights and can't hear the whine, try switching it on while pointing it closely at a black or dark fabric. This somehow amplifies the audible whine, a massive amount in some cases.

Also, if you have a light that whines but aren't sure why, then try the same thing. The amplification should only work for whines caused by PWM switching and not ones caused by an inductor.

Last edited:

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I don't normally see or hear it. But I have seen and heard it. I can see it when I shine it on running water in a sink. I can hear it when I tail-stand the light on a wood shelf which acts as a sounding board. I don't think of either case as an annoyance but as a reminder of the PWM.

purelite

Enlightened
I dont think the noise you are hearing is PWM. I believe it is called conductor whine. You can get micro vibrations which can produce a high pitched whine which many times only the younger can hear

Theorem29

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a couple Preon 1's for a few of my family members for Christmas (they make excellent gifts!) and I of course had to test them out first! :)

Both of my Preons had PWM for low and medium modes. From my experience, this PWM was very noticeable. Its not really an issue if you are shining the light on non-reflective surfaces (like clothes for example) but as soon as you shine it on something that has reflective properties of some kind, the PWM stands out like a soar thumb.

It isn't so much directly noticeable, but your brain does pick up on it and you immediately know something isn't right. Its actually a very strange effect, if you weren't expecting it you probably wouldn't think the light was pulsing, but if you know about PWM, then it does stand out and is very obvious.

Either way its a very high frequency, and while my preons had this PWM, it was still a nice little light and the PWM is easily overlooked.

As for any noise, I do not believe PWM generates noise, that is inductor whine. Just FYI, neither of my preons had inductor whine.

Last edited:
I have a quark CR2 it has PWM on low and med. The only way i really notice it is if i shine it on the water coming out of the sink or shower. I always thought 4 sevens used current regulation but i guess not on the mini and preon.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm not seeing any PWM in my QMini ww, no matter how fast I shake it. Is this only in the high CRI version?

Geoff

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the led when you shake it, and use big movements (20-30cm atleast) . All mini's/preon's uses pwm in med-lo mode.

Im sensetive to pwm, and see it in my sidewiew everytime i walk past something reflective. But the preon/mini's are one of the better pwm light's so i dont think you need to worry.
Have had 6 different minis, 5 of them was almost dead quiet (i need to hold it close to my ear to hear it.), one had THE most loud whine i have ever heared.

clip_point

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys, seems like it will be a non-issue, especially considering it will be a secondary light to the main Quark AA2. Now I just have to wait and see for myself once I get the mini AA in hand.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark's use a very high frequency PWM - it's extraordinarily unlikely that your eyes will notice that it's there.

On a HCRI light like the one you purchased, you should be grateful that the levels are PWM-controlled. Constant current drivers cause noticeable tint shift as you decrease the output, meaning you might get an ugly orange instead of a creamy white. Any PWM-generated levels will have the same tint as full brightness.

clip_point

Newly Enlightened
On a HCRI light like the one you purchased, you should be grateful that the levels are PWM-controlled. Constant current drivers cause noticeable tint shift as you decrease the output, meaning you might get an ugly orange instead of a creamy white. Any PWM-generated levels will have the same tint as full brightness.

Ah, very interesting. So does that mean the current regulated HCRI Quarks, say Q123, would have this tint shift at low brightness modes?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, very interesting. So does that mean the current regulated HCRI Quarks, say Q123, would have this tint shift at low brightness modes?

Probably, though the amount of shift varies by each emitter so you might wind up with a model where it's not even noticeable. It's pretty random, but I don't like rolling the dice on whether it turns green at a low setting.

I'm personally of the opinion that if I'm buying a light for it's premium tint (like a HCRI) then I want that tint at all levels, even if it means losing some runtime. McGizmo's Sundrop or HCRI Haiku is a good example of a light where I'm glad he went with a PWM driver.

clip_point

Newly Enlightened
Probably, though the amount of shift varies by each emitter so you might wind up with a model where it's not even noticeable. It's pretty random, but I don't like rolling the dice on whether it turns green at a low setting.

I'm personally of the opinion that if I'm buying a light for it's premium tint (like a HCRI) then I want that tint at all levels, even if it means losing some runtime. McGizmo's Sundrop or HCRI Haiku is a good example of a light where I'm glad he went with a PWM driver.

Agreed on not wanting to roll the dice. I ordered this mini AA as part of a two light kit for travel, not even sure why I went with HCRI for that particular purpose. I might just relegate the mini AA HCRI to a first aid kit and get cool or neutral whites for the AA powered travel kit.

FIREFIREFIGHTER15312

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys i am interested on buying the High CRI Quark MiNi AA and i was wondering if there any other difference between the regular Quark MiNi AA.Can i use the 14500 li-on cell as we did to the regular quark mini or not?
thanks in advance.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are only a small handful Of people sensitive to pwm, I'm glad I'm not one of them. I don't notice it in my hi cri preon1. I am photo sensitive to sunlight though, I wear sunglasses even on over cast days :(

davecroft

Enlightened
I don't see it unless I move the light really fast, and the whine is only audible when I hold my flashlight right against my ear.