Help a noob!!

UKPeeler

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been looking for a new flashlight for work (LEO) and stumbled across this site a few weeks ago. Up until then i thought maglites and led lenser were the ultimate in torches but i've been introduced to a whole new world!!

I've come up with a short list of what i think look like suitable lights. This will be my first 'proper' torch and I've deliberately gone for AA batteries. I have considered Lithium primary / rechargeables but they seem to much hassle for a noob like me plus they are expensive to get hold of here in the UK.

I was wondering if anyone who owns any of these torches could give me an insight as to what they are like in practical use. Reading reviews is one thing, actually having and using the thing is a different matter. The torches i'm considering are:

Klarus XT2A
Eagletac P100A2
Fenix LD20
Dereelight Javelin / C2H

I'm leaning towards the Klarus at the moment but can't find out much about them. I want to know how far it will throw, what the spill is like, build quality and if the UI is good. I'd like to keep it simple really - the last thing you need if you are under pressure is scrolling through 5 different modes to get the one you need - that's why i like the look of the Klarus. It seems to have a simple UI and three useful modes.

Sorry that these are really basic questions but i have no experience of LED torches and don't really know what to expect from them- i'm still using a minimag incandescent at the moment!!! Any advice would be really useful.

Cheers!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to send you a pm but seems I cannot,send me one with your email addy and I will point you in the right direction where to look in the UK.

Last edited:

UKPeeler

Newly Enlightened
Cheers mcnair55. I don't think i can receive PM's yet - not made enough posts to get full priveleges yet. I've seen some of the UK sites like piston heads. I suppose what i'm really getting at is are the lights on my shortlist suitable for LEO use or are they more designed toward hiking / camping.

GaAslamp

Enlightened

:welcome:

I was wondering if anyone who owns any of these torches could give me an insight as to what they are like in practical use. Reading reviews is one thing, actually having and using the thing is a different matter. The torches i'm considering are:

Klarus XT2A

I don't own one of these and I'm not an LEO, but as a self-defense-oriented person, I do have some thoughts and insights on the practical aspects of using tactical lights, for what it's worth. I'm assuming that a tactical light is what you're looking for--if it isn't, then let us know, but you might find the following interesting anyway.

First and foremost, in my view, is that not only should a tactical light be reliable in operation, it should be reliable to use by its owner while under extreme stress, which means for one thing that its interface should be simple and fault-tolerant--regular training always helps, but it's even better when you can't screw something up. ;)

I like Klarus flashlights (or torches for those across the pond ;)), and I like the XT2A in general because it has a dedicated mode switch located right next to the activation switch, which seems like a great idea for a general-purpose flashlight. But for tactical use, with your attention turned elsewhere, doesn't it seem like it's at least remotely possible that you'd hit the wrong switch? :thinking: Some tactical lights go to the extreme regarding simplicity by using a momentary-only switch (twist to lock on or off), and while we don't necessarily have to take it that far, I think that having a single switch on the tail is probably the best way to go.

Eagletac P100A2

The P100A2 seems nice and simple to me, as long as you remember to leave the bezel in the Turbo output position while on duty (a training issue, of course).

Fenix LD20

The LD20 has a "reverse" clicky switch (as opposed to the "forward" clicky found on the flashlights above), which means that it comes on only after you click it on and release the button. This means that it does not have a momentary function--you have to click it on and then click it off even when you need just a short burst of light, which is less than ideal for tactical situations (I don't mean to dramatize matters, making it sound like combat, but when you're checking things out in the dark it can be important to control your use of light). In addition, if you lightly depress the button at any time while it's on, the flashlight will switch into Strobe mode, which is not necessarily what you want it to do.

Dereelight Javelin / C2H

The C2H has a forward clicky but no momentary function because it uses the switch to change modes, I believe, so it has the same sort of issues that the LD20 does.

I'm leaning towards the Klarus at the moment but can't find out much about them. I want to know how far it will throw, what the spill is like, build quality and if the UI is good. I'd like to keep it simple really - the last thing you need if you are under pressure is scrolling through 5 different modes to get the one you need - that's why i like the look of the Klarus. It seems to have a simple UI and three useful modes.

In my opinion, I think that the UIs of three of those flashlights are suboptimal for tactical use. You have the right idea, but I'm harsher I guess. ;) There are other 2xAA flashlights that have similar UIs to that of the P100A2, such as the 4Sevens Quark AA² Tactical (also programmable for greater flexibility) and Klarus P2A, but it would be helpful to know more of what you expect out of your flashlight so that we can narrow the options down. You can start by filling out the following checklist:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276972-Flashlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated!!

Sorry that these are really basic questions but i have no experience of LED torches and don't really know what to expect from them- i'm still using a minimag incandescent at the moment!!!

I suspect that whichever flashlight you choose, it will prove to be a marked improvement. ;)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your line of work which might require long runtimes, especially in emergencies, i recommend you take a look at the jetbeam PA40. It's brighter than all the lights you mentioned and with a much better runtime. There's another one from Fenix, the LD40, but its half as bright as the Jetbeam.

There are other 4xAA or more flashlights, but those two are good for a start.

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System
What on earth is an LEO anyway?Presume you mean a plastic busy body.

LEO=Law Enforcement Officer. As an LEO, I think it is essential for you to have a forward clicky, with momentary on/off. Switching modes with the switch wouldn't be ideal for tactical uses. Just my .02 cents. Good luck in your endeavor to find the right torch for your needs.

UKPeeler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. McNair, as previous poster said LEO is a law enforcement officer. And no I'm not a plastic busy body - I'm a fully sworn one! Didn't think choosing a torch would get so complicated!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. McNair, as previous poster said LEO is a law enforcement officer. And no I'm not a plastic busy body - I'm a fully sworn one! Didn't think choosing a torch would get so complicated!

Thank god a proper policeman and not the plastic type that assist in the UK but with no power.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
For your line of work which might require long runtimes, especially in emergencies, i recommend you take a look at the jetbeam PA40. It's brighter than all the lights you mentioned and with a much better runtime.

I think that this is a great idea to bring up in general, although the PA40 specifically has some issues for certain situations. For one thing, although the switch is a forward clicky, it is used to change modes, so it has no momentary function, much like the C2H mentioned earlier. Additionally, one might not want to have a flashing red light when the remaining energy of the batteries gets down to 50%. Then there is the more general issue of actually having too much light while indoors, which could potentially dazzle the user even from a reflection off of a wall (you could use a lower mode, but multiple modes is another issue ;)).

There's another one from Fenix, the LD40, but its half as bright as the Jetbeam.

It may be half as bright, but it's bright enough for "tactical" use, and it has a momentary function. And while it has two switches on its tail, like the Klarus XT2A, the mode switch is smaller and not set as closely, so maybe it wouldn't be a major issue for tactical use. It's still not as ideal as flashlights designed for tactical use, however, as there may be other issues such as durability--for example, both the LD40 and PA40 have battery cartridges that may not withstand much abuse from dropping and banging the flashlight on things.

Thus far, my focus has been on tactical flashlights, but in the bigger picture many police officers carry more than one, not just as backup flashlights but for different uses. For example, in the US it is not uncommon for officers to have a relatively large rechargeable flashlight--as in one with a built-in battery that sits in a cradle to recharge for frequent use--as well as a smaller tactical flashlight. The former often has greater output and longer throw for inspecting and searching outside (and has less stringent UI requirements), while the latter is fully optimized for doing things like clearing buildings, which could involve low-light gunfights in the worst-case scenarios. Some LEOs use a tactical flashlight for both purposes, though, and increasing numbers of officers (at least in the US) are relying on purpose-designed weapon lights mounted on their pistols for tactical situations, in addition to their handheld flashlights. The one constant here is that you'll probably want at least one tactical flashlight of some sort (weapon-mounted or handheld or both) for the most dangerous types of low-light situations.

As an LEO, I think it is essential for you to have a forward clicky, with momentary on/off. Switching modes with the switch wouldn't be ideal for tactical uses.

That's right, and some would take this even farther, as I had touched on above--here is one such example:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...turers-please-make-simple-no-BS-lights-again.

vickers214

Enlightened
Hi, I'm an uk police officer and have been where you are and spent more money on dozens of torches than I would like to think about. The p100a2 it's an excellent choice and was my vest light for a long time.i used alkaline batteries but they are rubbish in high drain devices like these and didnt last long at all.so I went to eneloop rechargables which were far better,but then thought if I'm using them why not goto lithium with the higher voltage and the extra power they give, and never looked back. My old p100a2 was the q5 and it was fine but I now have the s2 version for the house and it is truly leaps ahead of the q5. I now use the the p20c2 with the interchangeable modules so you can change the led with out buyin a new torch and is a cheaper way of experimenting with new leds.with this one though I now use the clip to stop it falling into my shoulder adjuster on my vest as it is to short, the p100a2 is longer and was better for this.pm if you need to know more like whet to get it get it all and I may be able to save you time and money.story for spelling on phone soawkward to type

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Nowt wrong with LED Lenser. I have a P7 and it is excellent. They don't seem to like Lensers here, but it's definitely one of the best built torches you can buy. It's not regulated but with some NiMH installed it seems to work just like my regulated ones and with the flood/focus it's very good. I have a P3 as well, that's good to. But the best torch you will buy for the money, especially as a cop is: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_13&products_id=104721 Unbelievably good value, well built and very bright. it won't light up 100m away but is perfect for clipping onto a stab vest etc. I have 2 of them and would buy more if it wasn't pointless. It will light up a room and for £2.99 delivered it would be rude not to!

Good luck, Marc.

vickers214

Enlightened
Thats a great find, I had peli light for a whole day before I took a tumble with a customer and smashed it to bits! never bothered with out like that since, but a lot of people have them and very usefull for note book writing, and hands free walking along paths etc.

UKPeeler

Newly Enlightened
Sorry i've not replied earlier - seem to have been at work constantly for the past few days! I've had a look at the checklist GaAslamp provided and it's helped no end. At the moment i work in an urban area but we are surrounded by semi rural areas that we get called to help out at from time to time. Looking at the check list i need something easy to use, decent mix of throw and flood, a high and low mode and if possible a belt holster (got a terrible habit of dropping stuff just clipped /tucked into body armour). The light described by my colleague Vickers 214 sounds about right and i like the idea of being able to upgrade / alter the torch depending on what i'm doing. I'll take you up on that pm offer if that's ok mate.

The link to the other thread by GaAslamp was again very interesting. Weapon fitted lights are a no-no here - we don't have any guns (frightens people apparently) so we shouldn't be going up against criminals with guns unless we're very unlucky (our ARV teams deal with that - we just have to make sure we don't get shot until they arrive but that's for another thread...) so i suppose i'm after a bit of an 'all rounder' light. After seeing the posts there doesn't seem to be anything AA based that fits the bill - i'm now considering Lithium based lights - they seem to be designed more around police / military use - I just have to read up on how not to blow myself up! :eek:

Thanks again for all the advice guys - it's very much appreciated.