Keyring/pocket light with Swiss Army Knife

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Ok, just joined a couple weeks ago...spending WAY too much time thinking about this stuff, thanks to this forum! Thanks. :scowl:

Anyway, just bought a Quark AA2, and love it.
But...
It doesn't ride in my khaki's pocket well enough.

So I'm thinking about a smaller light, keychain type, etc.
But I want to attach to my Swiss Army Knife, and don't want it to scratch my knife (I know...sad, eh?)

Anybody have a thought on this? Wrap a single AAA light with something? So its kind of a combo question on the light and how to keep it from scratching my knife all up...:stupid:

Thanks!
JD

varmint

Enlightened
If you must wrap it?? Try a small piece pf sugerical tubing like a blood pressure tournicut. (SP) cant spell it.!!

Viper715

Enlightened
a6898ee8-9ef1-370c.jpg

I've got my Vic Alox Classic SD attached to my Preon 1. It doesn't scratch my knife but the knife does leave marks in the light. You could wrap the light in some heat shrink tubing.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear double-pocketed cargos and keep everything in a separate pocket. Kind of an ocd :ohgeez:but it works

mbw_151

Enlightened
You could go with a coin cell light like a Photon Freedom, all plastic, no scratches. This also rides in pockets less obtrusively.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several good suggestions here.

You could cut a finger off an old glove and use it as a "slip pocket" (i.e., small sheath) for your knife.

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Yes, thanks for the good suggestions! Question, where can you get tubing? Just home depot, lowes?
Might try that route...
Derfyled, your link just brought me to the Vic main site...but if you were referring to the led SAKs, I read those were fairly low light...not great... Do you have one and think otherwise?

Thanks
Jd

SouthernNights

Newly Enlightened
Medical supply houses carry the tubing. You may also find some at the local drugstore. You might consider the fingers cut from a rubber surgical glove or for something a little thicker, a finger from a dish washing glove.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My High CRI Preon is on my keys with a Vic Climber SAK. The Preon is taking most of the damage :)

jcalvert

Enlightened
a6898ee8-9ef1-370c.jpg

I've got my Vic Alox Classic SD attached to my Preon 1. It doesn't scratch my knife but the knife does leave marks in the light. You could wrap the light in some heat shrink tubing.

excellent idea. just get big heatshrink the size of the light and zap it.

This idea does work very well and it's a clean look. I take it a step further on a Klarus Mi10 or 4Sevens Peon ReVo by slipping on 3-4 tight-fitting, small, plumbing o-rings (Size 5-7) and separating them ~1/2" apart on the body section. Then I cut an appropriately sized rubber heatshrink tube to cover all the o-rings, apply the heat until the tube is sufficiently tight. This method provides both protection and added grip.

Then I use one more small, tight-fitting, o-ring to stretch over the middle of the head, again for both protection and one-handed, head-twisting grip. When the light is not in use, especially in a pocket, I roll down that o-ring into the gap between the head and body which prevents accidental activation. If you do add this protection to new or "like new" light that you want to sell sometime down the road, removing the heatshrink will reveal a light virtually free of cosmetic flaws.

Note: The heatshrink I've used was from a multi-pack, so I can't offer a specific size, but I knew Home Depot carries at least one brand with packaging that you can open and trial. As long as you have your light with you, you can test fit the tubing for the perfect size. HD also carries the Danco brand o-rings that I prefer.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derfyled, your link just brought me to the Vic main site...but if you were referring to the led SAKs, I read those were fairly low light...not great... Do you have one and think otherwise?

Jd

Yes I was talking about their line equiped with LED

Never tried one with a white led but I do own one from the previous generation with a red led. Of course, it's not very bright but it's often handy to find the key hole or something you dropped. Also, the fact that its alll-in-one seems to me a big advantage for EDC.

If you want it a bit brighter, I *think* that LRI (makers of Photon lights)/Wenger knives might be brighter but they are the size of a Victorinox Classic, so no full size SAK with Photon technology.

Last edited:

SparkLite

Newly Enlightened
It's made by D22 gear and I got it from MonkeyEdge but they seem to have sold out...

They also made a titanium and a brass version...