Was I expecting too much?

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
So, went to going gear store (which was great experience by the way) and bought my first "good light"
Is a 4sevens quark x aa2.
Yep, is decently bright, but have some remorse. Was I expecting too much from a $65 light vs my previous cheaper lights?
Didn't expect it to scratch when I took off the clip. Nor the clip to bend so easy.
Didn't expect the batteries to rattle inside.

Sure it's bright, but just not sure it's worth it.
Did I buy the wrong brand, or am I expecting too much for that price range?

And I'm seriously asking opinions, not griping about it. I bought it, I scratched it, it's mine now.
:thanks:
JD

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I've never owned that light, in fact I've never owned a sevens light. I really like a good clip, and the 4sevens clips always looked kinda flimsy to me... Regarding battery rattle, that can happen when you put a couple cr123's in an 18650 tube. The only 2aa light I have is a Fenix TK20, and the batteries don't rattle (plus it would take a tool to bend the clip on that thing).

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
I own several 4sevens lights and my experience is similar. They have many really good ideas and on paper these lights are just awesome. I love my Preons or my Qmini CR2 (bought it three times, because I lost it twice), there are no comparable lights out there. Build quality, however, has always been a little bit disappointing. Last week I was examining a patient with a few other students. I was the one who paid the most for their penlight, yet I had to borrow one because mine did not work (Preon2 with a loose contact). The Qmini CR2 does not always make a solid impression either.

Despite all of that, I buy more lights from 4sevens than from any other manufacturer, and thats not just because I have a habit of losing them. It's kind of a love-hate relationship.

SouthernNights

Newly Enlightened
JD

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am new to CPF also. For $65 dollars I would be disappointed also. I have owned a 6P Surefire for several years and thought it was bright till I found this sight LOL. I will be doing some future upgrades to it. For now I have a Klarus Mi X6 Titanium on the way for keychain use. Hope I am not disappointed.

Websniper

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the lights are priced fairly for the quality and (from what I hear) the customer service is decent (I've had no need for it so far).

They aren't Surefires and the price reflects that.

That being said, I just checked and the batteries in my AA2 rattle, as do the batts in my Preon 2. They are both currently running Duracell alkalines until I get my lacrosse and Eneloops. I do sometimes run lithium primaries, but can't recall if the rattle was present with those or not.

I happen to think they're great lights for the money. I'm not disappointed with my purchases(ok, I wasn't taken too much at first with the Preon2, but after reassembling the switch and using it some, it's grown on me).

duro

Enlightened
Most 4sevens lights are expensive for what you get. Yes 65 dollars for that model is a little steep. In terms of value for your money, I think 4sevens has some room for improvement. Keep in mind I've spent 160 dollars for an HDS, yet that light is worth every penny.

As far as the scratch, I wouldn't worry about it. Use the light and enjoy it. Some 4sevens lights already come with missing finish. If aa is your thing, have a look at shiningbeam's caveman. IMO it's more light for your dollar. Now if that 4sevens aa light was 45-50 dollars I would think it's a decent value.

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
I've never owned that light, in fact I've never owned a sevens light. I really like a good clip, and the 4sevens clips always looked kinda flimsy to me... Regarding battery rattle, that can happen when you put a couple cr123's in an 18650 tube. The only 2aa light I have is a Fenix TK20, and the batteries don't rattle (plus it would take a tool to bend the clip on that thing).

They did away with 18650 compatibility, I really wish they didn't.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, went to going gear store (which was great experience by the way) and bought my first "good light"
Is a 4sevens quark x aa2.
Yep, is decently bright, but have some remorse. Was I expecting too much from a $65 light vs my previous cheaper lights?
Didn't expect it to scratch when I took off the clip. Nor the clip to bend so easy.
Didn't expect the batteries to rattle inside.

Sure it's bright, but just not sure it's worth it.
Did I buy the wrong brand, or am I expecting too much for that price range?

And I'm seriously asking opinions, not griping about it. I bought it, I scratched it, it's mine now.
:thanks:
JD

Hello! Sad to hear about your first experience with the Quark AA2.

It is actually more durable and brighter than the cheap ones. Did you just pull it off? There's a ring that holds that clip down, you're supposed to remove that before taking out the clip. I'm not a clip person so i take clips off the moment i take the light out of the neat box. The rattle is actually the slack they allow for some odd-shaped high-capacity rechargeables that are a bit bigger than regular alkaline primaries. If it was snug on alkalines, some rechargeables wont fit in it. If the rattle bothers you too much, you could roll the two AA's in a piece of paper to hold the cells together. That should muffle the rattle.

The light you bought is the same one i use to this day, over a year later. Sure it has scatches and dings from being dropped, but it runs just as good as the day i got it. Still water tight and switch still working.

For it's price, its worth it as a starting light.

It now shares the EDC limelight with my Sunwayman V10A, but hey, i still carry it wherever I go.
img00090201201181107.jpg

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
They did away with 18650 compatibility, I really wish they didn't.

Yes, i wish they brought it back. if they had an issue with flat top cells, then come out with quarks with dual springs!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Preon2 with a loose contact)

Hello! Owning our next-gen lights require meticulous attention too, they need to be cleaned and greased (o-rings) from time to time to ensure proper operation.

You might want to check out the DeoxIt Gold and (the red one) which they sell on the 4Sevens website. It will keep your light properly lubed and free from problems due to oxidation of contacts over time.

4Sevens are not the absolute best lights out there, but you can't help not visiting their website (and end up ordering) nor watch youtube videos of nutnfancy about the 4Sevens lights. :)

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
you pay a little more for a 4sevens flashlight but you get a 10 year warranty so in the long run...it's a good buy.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I've had only good experiences with my 4Sevens lights, but I do think that your expectations may have been a little on the high side.

That said, the battery rattle is something that might annoy me, but it's hard to gauge how much they rattle since you haven't owned anything at a similar price point to compare with.

The apparent weakness of the clip does sound like a bit of a let down. As for the clip scratching the body, that would seem to be pretty normal, and usually guys will put a little piece of plastic or something between the two before unscrewing the head.

Anyway, if you're not happy then I'd contact their CS and see what they say, especially in regards to the battery rattle.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There what I call good bang for your buck lights, good warranty and great output for the price. I own 4 quarks and with an XML it makes an awesome light. I still consider them as good or better than most lights in the same price range and output.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
60+ bucks for 10 years, that's a good investment, to think that the light is quite good already to begin with, its a steal actually. :)

Tommygun45

Enlightened
+1 with everyone else here. Ive gotten a few quarks and currently have that AA2 XML Neutral. Its a good light and puts out a solid beam. Illuminates a good deal. But yes, the quality of the light is not exactly of the highest. I feel like it might break if it treat it rough. That being said, its priced just about exactly where it should be. Considering a Surefire on the low end now runs 95, Id say they are about 30 dollars more in terms of quality, for the G2X say. Thats why at 65 they were probably a steal a while back. The Quark gets you the 10 year warranty and its interchangeable with all other quark parts, which is nice. Its a tough game my friend. The first light I bought was a Quark Turbo 123x2, but then I wanted more. About 5 grand in a year later and its all HDS, Malkoff's, Overready stuff, and those two quarks I mentioned. Gone through a lot else but they still serve their purpose. In that range Id trust them more than Nitecores for instance. Jetbeams are similar but are falling off lately. Zebras are alright but are just different. For what they are, Quarks have a nice little niche and thats about what you should expect to pay for that quality level of light, relative to all of the other lights out there.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should try buying a light during the Black Friday Blitz Sale!

I got the 85-dollar TurboX for a little over 50 bucks! WOOHOO! :)
quarkturboxsale.jpg

clip_point

Newly Enlightened
With all due respect, I think you definitely were expecting way too much.

The light is made out of aluminum, any light made out of that metal will scratch easy, just the nature of this particular metal. You could pay hundreds of dollars for a light and if it's made out of T6/aircraft aluminum, it will scratch in the same manner. As for the bent pocket clip, I'm not sure how you managed to do that when there is a ring you can unscrew and easily remove it. As for the clip itself, I personally think it's a fairly well designed clip and I'm not new to pocket clips, being a knife aficionado and being familiar with clips on Spyderco, Cold Steel and Benchmade folders, pocket clips are something I pay attention to.

The battery rattle is unfortunate, however I think it might have something to do with the fact that Quark parts are interchangeable between CR123A (17mm diameter) and AA (14.5mm diameter) powered lights; if I remember correctly Overready has battery sleeves that would eliminate this rattle.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
The Quark I have does not rattle ( or I have not noticed it). However, comparing it to a Fenix E21, I get the impression that the E21 is more durable and feels better in the hands as its heavier. However, it is just my IMPRESSION and not tested in any scientific way whatsoever.

Its a great performer and has nice modes. Do I think it is worth $69? Personally, $50 is what I would consider reasonable for it but then again, with the guarantee they are offering, it is something that has already been included in the price of the flashlight :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, if you stay near Going Gear, you could easily drive down to 4Sevens since they are nearby too. You can get them to replace you a clip and I am certain they would.

If you are indoctrinated to the world of highend flashlights and the prices they cost, you would come to the realization that 4Sevens really provide a pretty fair deal. Their lights are not the best made, but they are one of the best amongst lights manufactured out of the US. Plus the 10 years warranty provided and the free shipping anywhere in the world, if you order direct from 4Sevens, makes them real value for money. I buy mainly USA made lights which costs a lot more but 4Sevens and Zebralight (another reputable brand made outside the US) are the only manufacturers I continue to throw my money into.

MIKENC

Newly Enlightened
I understand that people have different opinions and experiences. Here is mine; 4Sevens products are just ok, definitely nothing more. There are many choices available which are far better. I have given them several opportunities with different models and now do not own any. And I also know others who have had good customer service, but not me! Not bashing, but just trying to give you a fair and honest opinion that you requested. I'm sure you will get other lights and develop your own opinion. Good luck.