Insomnia.

signal 13

Enlightened
Never been a problem until this last week. Usually sleep like a baby. Been up for two days. :tired:

I feel like Edward Norton in Fight Club. Nothing's real. Everything's far away. Everything's a copy of a copy of a copy...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get on a train for a long journey - never fails.

Failing that - lettuce is a natural soporific - they say eating a lettuce sandwich is good.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Persistent insomnia can very often have a medical cause so go to a doctor is it keeps on for much longer.

As I have said before never get medical advice from a forum unless you want to do home brain surgery on yourself -- mostly because it can't get any dumber than that. Just way too many things can go wrong from getting medical advice from amateurs (including me).

That said if it's just for a day or two try searching for help on a decent medical website (RxList is just one - look under "Diseases and Conditions) for info and suggestions.

What has worked for me most of the time:

You can't force yourself to sleep and still get rested.
Avoid alcohol. Sorry but it just doesn't solve the problem in the right way. You might sleep but don't get restful sleep.
Avoid caffeine for 6 hours or more before sleeping.
Lose the stress as much as you can.
Don't "oversleep" -- in other words sleep until you feel you've had enough rest but then get up. Too much sleep can make it harder to sleep later.
Don't smoke -- at the very least not in the last half of the day before you want to sleep. I don't smoke but can't sleep if I've even been around smokers.
Keep the bedroom setup for sleeping -- keep it dark and warm (but not too warm); lose the TV, computer, etc.; and so on.
Don't go to bed hungry.

There are other things but you get the idea.

Good luck and like I said if it keeps up just go to the doctor.

Let us know how you make out.

I agree with everything chmsam posted. :thumbsup:

I'll add one thing that never fails to put me to sleep. Get real comfortable on the couch in a dark room and watch a stock car race on TV. Round and round and round....:tired:...:sleepy:

~ Chance

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Burn off accumulated adrenalin (exercise). It metabolizes when resting, but under stress, it accumulates faster and builds up, keeping your mind (and other organs) racing.

Make sure you're getting enough vitamin D (milk or liquid supplements)

Avoid blue light sources after sunset. Especially computer/pad/phone/tv. Most are calibrated for day use and will tell your brain that the sun is still up - unless you can install flux:

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Persistent insomnia can very often have a medical cause so go to a doctor is it keeps on for much longer.

As I have said before never get medical advice from a forum unless you want to do home brain surgery on yourself -- mostly because it can't get any dumber than that. Just way too many things can go wrong from getting medical advice from amateurs (including me).

That said if it's just for a day or two try searching for help on a decent medical website (RxList is just one - look under "Diseases and Conditions) for info and suggestions.

What has worked for me most of the time:

You can't force yourself to sleep and still get rested.
Avoid alcohol. Sorry but it just doesn't solve the problem in the right way. You might sleep but don't get restful sleep.
Avoid caffeine for 6 hours or more before sleeping.
Lose the stress as much as you can.
Don't "oversleep" -- in other words sleep until you feel you've had enough rest but then get up. Too much sleep can make it harder to sleep later.
Don't smoke -- at the very least not in the last half of the day before you want to sleep. I don't smoke but can't sleep if I've even been around smokers.
Keep the bedroom setup for sleeping -- keep it dark and warm (but not too warm); lose the TV, computer, etc.; and so on.
Don't go to bed hungry.

There are other things but you get the idea.

Good luck and like I said if it keeps up just go to the doctor.

Let us know how you make out.

By your own definition, he can not take your advise :crackup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
By your own definition, he can not take your advise :crackup:

LOL - I was about to post that when I read your post beating me to it by a few hours.

Really, insomnia is not something you should lose sleep over.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I usually plug in one earbud (so not to bother my wife) and listen to some light jazz, classical, or Coast-to-Coast. Soon I'm asleep.

Geoff

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't think there are talk radio shows discussing flashlights OR torches though, so they should be dull enough to sleep to.

:D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm up late every night. You get used to it. Having Cable helps pass the time.

Flashlight Enthusiast
to OP:

what changed ? can you identify the reason ?

if not, go get full bloodwork, thyroid, liver, kidneys, A1C done immediately.

insomnia for no reason could indicate some organ or hormonal issue that has reached
a threshold and now can become a threat

rock_007

Newly Enlightened
The main reason for Insomnia is the worry or anxiety about a certain thing and stress on the mind until you will clear all that stuffs from your head and relax it just half and hour before a sleep you may not have a sound sleep, other ways you can apply hairoil on the head and toes and have a good massage to your head just before sleeping it gives you restful and sound sleep.

Latest posts