High school project: Need 2 example beamshots

gtjonathan

Newly Enlightened
For my optics class. I need 2 beamshots of 2 lights with similar lumen output but drastically different beam profiles. Eg. one very throwy and one very floody. No TIR lenses or aspherics please!

Also, it would be nice if both beamshots were taken by the same camera with same white balance, exposure, shutter speed, ect.

So I'm kinda looking for a link to a review or something that has this. Don't want anybody to go to any trouble for me.

Thanks!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check first link in my sig line for bunch of indoor shots w/various lights. I've posted the mfg. claimed lumens as well as indicated whether the light uses a reflector (in which case it'll be OP - orange peel or SM - smooth) or TIR if optic.

The camera used, shutter speed and aperature were identical for all shots, however the WB was adjusted from light to light in order to mimic what my eyes see as faithfully as possible. I'd think that would be more important vs. consistent WB in which the colors may be completely off.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project!

Cheers,
Tim

OneBigDay

Enlightened
You might be able to scrounge something off a thread I posted a while ago. Here is the thread.

I think post #2 in that thread with "The Trail" images is a really good picture of various beam profiles. Off the top of my head the Nailbender D36 SST-50 and the Download pocket rocket SST-50 have approximately the same output on paper, but the beam profile is very different - D36 reflector is a better thrower and the pocket rocket has a shallow reflector and is mostly flood.

You could also take a look at this thread with some smaller lights. You would have to look up the output on some but all are stock lights so shouldn't be too much trouble to look up. Something like the Xeno XP-G vs. the Xeno XM-L have approximately the same output with different beam profiles. The V10R (14500) vs. the Xeno XM-L (14500) I think also have similar output but the V10R tends towards throw and the Xeno XM-L tends towards flood.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

gtjonathan

Newly Enlightened
Thank you BVH, OneBigDay and turboBB.

Any of your photos would have worked perfectly but in the end I used OneBigDay's beamshots of the
Nailbender D36 SST-50 and the Download Pocket Rocket SST-50.

They worked great for illustrating the relation between beam/hotspot angle and parabolic mirror stretch factor in my presentation. My teacher told me I did very well on the assignment. So thank you OneBigDay for that!

And thank you again everyone who posted!