RRT-0 w/XM-L your thoughts on SMO vs. OP with this light & emitter?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
My resistance is futile... I must order an RRT-0 XM-L. I tried to find beamshots comparing the SMO & OP reflectors with the XM-L, but couldn't find any.

With this light and emitter, is the SMO reflector ringy or does it give a nice, clean beam? I know it should throw better with the SMO reflector, which I would like, but I would choose the OP reflector if the SMO reflector doesn't yield a nice, clean, relatively artifact-free beam.

What are your thoughts on the beam profiles between SMO and OP with the RRT-0 XM-L?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend has an RRT-0 XM-L SMO.
Close up, on a white wall, it is ringy and messy.
Long distances, up into the trees, the beam seems clean.
It may throw further than an OP, but it isn't worth it.

My RRT-0 is an XP-G S2 OP, and it will easily out-throw the cooler white beam of my friend's XM-L SMO version.
My friend's XM-L does flood wide.

Two years ago, Selfbuilt tested RRT-2 and Jet IIIM R5's, SMO's versus OP's, and he often found that the SMO's did not throw any further than the OP's, thus he recommended we may as well get the OP for a cleaner beam...

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Jetbeam RRT-0 XML today. I ordered the OP, but received SMO by mistake. I didn't even notice it was SMO for a few minutes until I actually looked directly at the reflector. The beam on mine is nice, and quite smooth. There are a couple slight rings, but they're very uniform, and not noticeable at all except at close distance on a white wall. I was so happy with the SMO, I didn't even consider exchanging for the OP I ordered. I like the tint too. But, YMMV of course.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I have the RRT-O XM-L with the OP reflector and it has a great floody beam. If you're worried about ringy beams, just go with the OP reflector.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments, guys. I had decided to order with OP. But with your comments, gbelleh, I'm going to go with SMO, realizing that I can always order an OP reflector and have them both, if I should wish to subsequently. Looks like one can't really go wrong either way. Thanks again guys.