KingPelican Lite Pro

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have one of these?
Hows it do?
What I'm looking for is a light for my father to use at his camper.
Preforably using D or C cells. Bright with a long runtime.
I dont want to say size isnt an issue but a micro light it doesn't have to be.(sounding like yoda today I am)
I'm working on converting him to buying better lights than the 4 for a buck lights he usually buys.
I've got a good start by buying him a SL twin task 2L which he constantly raves about.
When he askes how much my lights cost (A2 for example)I usually just say, "qualitys' expensive Pop" (he just Looves it when I call him pop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
Sorry if this type of light should be in one of the other threads but I couldnt really decide what its classified as.
it looks like a light that uses lantern batteries but actually uses D cells. Pelican calls it a "large flashlight"

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm.. if you were gonna go that route i think the Laser Pro Rechargeable would be better.. i know it isn't quite as bright, but, it's lighter, and rechargeable.. doesn't run quite as long as the King PeliLite either.. keep that in consideration..

but i think one of those lights would be great to keep on a camper.. good idea.

-Ryan

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I have one of these lights here somewhere. The lamp draws about 1.2A if I remember right. Lots of light but the beam is not that nice. A sort of long oval with a none too bright hot spot in the center -if you are using the filament that is correctly placed. You see, it uses a dual filament bulb. Only ONE can be correctly place at the focal point of the reflector. The other is hopelessly out usually (you have to refocus for the other filament or you get a doughtnut). The ususl problem is the lateral rather than axial position. The later you can compensate by re-focusing, but there is nothing you can do for the former. Mine is the dive light version, so it really is waterproof. Run time is great with 9 Ah NiMH cells but the light is a bit yellow (voltage too low). Very reliable.

batterystation

Enlightened
You might browse around the Pelican lights on our page or browse around Pelicans site. I really like the M8 3C alkaline. It is about 20K candles as I recall and much more size/battery friendly. Very nice.
http://www.batterystation.com/pelican_flashlights.htm
If you decide on one, email me and I will take care of you.
There are lots of very knowledgeable people here to answer your questions. (and mine)

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
I have one and they are great lights. I use mine mostly for game tracking since I try to be an avid bowhunter. It is good, heavy, and bullet proof. The beam quality is not perfect by any means but you could signal passing aircraft with it!
Once of mine I bought at a pawn shop for $10 . . . it had been run over on the bezel in by a pickup truck. I called Pelican and explained how I had gotten it and they said, "It does not matter how or who . . . we'll fix it!" They sent all the replacement parts free of charges or shipping!! Hard to fault a company like that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Azreal911

Enlightened
yeah pelican's pretty good on backing up their lights since i guess they are pretty big in the diving world just like UKE.

83Venture

Enlightened
These three come to mind for a C cell light.
*Pelican #2020 SabreLite™ 1 Watt LED (3C 6Hr)
*StreamLight Twin-Task 3C (Up to 3 hours (xenon), Up to 160 hours LED)
*Streamlight 3C-XP™/LED 3C (5Hr 3-watt Xenon, 300Hr LED)

Skyline

Enlightened
I've got the AquaKing Lite Pro, which is basically the submersible version of the KingPelican. It uses 8xD, same dual filament bulb (I have the LaserSpot), etc.

It's quite powerful for a D cell light, imperfect beam, and the dual filament is hella cool. It's very heavy, but totally solid. If I had to guess, the light output is somewhere between a Surefire M2 HOLA and M3 HOLA, but more focused for longer throw.

Honestly, it pretty much sits under my desk gathering dust and I hardly use it. It's just TOO heavy to be convenient.

I would recommend getting a 3C or 3D Pelican or a rechargeable instead.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a King Pelican, it's the only incandescent I have right now.

I've no complaints with the beam, it's fine with me. It throws very well, and is quite bright. It's just that since I got into LEDs, it sits under my bed, waiting for use.

It is extremely robust, and the handle is switchable between lantern style & spotlight, pistol grip style.

The dual filament bulb is great for backup, and a spare bulb can be stored in the bulb housing.

Every time I look at it, I think about putting four 5 watt luxeons in it. There is a lot of room for mods in a King Pelican, and 8 D cells, well, that's considerable capacity...