Amperes on LED's ran in series?

lonnie_y2002

Newly Enlightened
Ok, say that you ran 3 LED's in a series. Each LED is rated at 3 AH. Will the series have a total amp draw of 9 AH? Or would it still be 3?

It may seem like a stupid question, but I have argued with myself all day about this...LOL

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I dont know what you mean by "AH" but if you had a led you wanted to drive at 3A and then you wanted 3 of them in series then current is the same at any point in a series circuit so you would still want only 3A. However you would need 3 times the voltage across the three leds.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
AH is "Amp Hours" which is a measure of battery capacity. "Amps" is all you need for this conversation.

LED's in series or parallel work the same as batteries. In series you get/need more voltage, in parallel you get/need more capacity/current

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Yeah your right about the amp hours,for some reason I thought it was Ahr but when I just wrote it that way it looks wierd. But thats not really the measurement were talking about here.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for future reference....amp-hours or milliamp-hours are abbreviated Ah or mAh because of the fact that it is generally accepted the a lone H is the symbol for Hydrogen. Such as in NiMH to describe Nickle Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of it like a pipe - things in series see the same chunk of water. Electronic components in series add voltage and share the current of one. Electronic components in parallel share the voltage of one and add current (Or capacity, for batteries)

lonnie_y2002

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! As for the chemistry annotations, I am very familiar with, for I am a chemist. Like I said though, I beat myself up all day over this... LoL. As many would put it, I had a blonde moment.

Any good suggestions on a quad XML heat sink/pcb?

I think you guys will be thoroughly happy with what I'm building. Kind of hushed until my patent results come back though.