Lighthound AAA Cree R5 Keychain Light

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
After trying several searches, I came up empty. Lighthound has been out of iTP AAA lights so I ordered a Lighthound branded keychain light.

It's slightly larger then an iTP, but seems to be rated for a 14400 LiIon cell, maybe due to its greater mass. The three levels are close to an iTP, but unfortunately for my needs, it starts on high, then med. and low is last. Others may prefer a bright start.

Threads are smooth and the light seems solid. Comes with a lanyard attachment ring and removable clip. At $25 it has stiff competition.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I am actually looking for a light that starts on high. The specs on their website shows only 2 modes. I just want to confirm with you that there are indeed 3 modes. At 2.9'' long, it's longer than many AAA lights and almost at long as some AA lights.

What's is beam profile of this light? Does it have a big or small hot spot? Does the hot spot transition smoothly into the spill? I am asking because I need this light for up-close uses. Thank you.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Davidt1, yes it has three, not the advertised two modes. With an NiMH cell high beam is very useful up close (medium hot spot?) and not too concentrated, with good spill to the sides. It's similar to the iTP beam profile. The slightly larger size provides extra heat sinking for use with a LiIon cell, which provides an intense light up close. I can understand where default to High is useful and I'll switch back up lights according to possible need. I also like the grip of the head knurling. It's easy to twist and the threads have the feel of quality. There's a small bulge in the middle, but it provides an index point for quick switching.

Scary, any recommendations or sites you like for the iTP and other products?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try here if you are looking for ITP A3 EOS lights that are still available.

I see that Shopwiseguys.com has the Olight i3 version for a very attractive price with shipping included.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some data points on the Lighthound 1xAAA XPG-R5 flashlight. After simple tests, I understand the limitations better. I have limited data on low output - no interest. I rarely use the lowest output of any light I currently have. For that matter, I prefer lights that initially turn on in high mode - if there is a required sequence. The Zebralight UI is a better system than a strict sequence. BTW, This light has a soft-start which is especially noticeable.

All cells freshly charged

Output:
- The output on LiIon/ICR on high is very impressive, well over 200 lumens by ceiling bounce comparison with several lights. It makes a 10440 in an LD01 on high look faded. However the runtime on high is <5 minutes due to the heavy current load which slopes down the output quickly
- The output on LiIon/ICR on medium is above the output of an LD01 running a NiMH on high - noticeable difference, but not overwhelming.
- The output on Imedion NiMH on high is about the same as the medium output of an LD01 using 10440.
- The output on Imedion NiMH on high is well above that of an LD01 on high using an Imedion NiMH.

Runtime:
- new AW ICR 10440: 5+ min on high. ~30 min on medium.
- older Ultrafire 10440: maybe a minute or two on high - the output drops so fast that it is difficult to determine the crossover to an equivalent medium output. 20 min on medium. These Ultrafire 10440 cells still perform a standard duty in my LD01, although I have tossed a couple already based on too-short runtime.
- older Imedion NiMH 800mah: 11 min on high. 30-35 min on medium.

Current draw:
- Imedion NiMH 800mah: 2.2A-2.4A on high. 0.75A on med. 0.06A on low.
- AW ICR 10440: 1.6A on high. 0.5A on med. 0.018A on low

Beam pattern:
- about 2 LD01 spots could fit inside of the spot of the Lighthound 1xAAA XPG-R5 light.

Beam color: good, not cold or blue. warmer than an LD01

Shortest analysis: This light will not displace the LD01 on my keychain.

Slightly longer analysis: The light circuitry may tolerate the voltage from a 10440, but in my view it was designed to compete/beat the LD01-type lights when 1xAAA NiMH cells are employed. This light certainly demonstrates the limitations of a single AAA cell in any chemistry. Maybe the R3 version of this light would be more usable?

For a broader comparison: The Lighthound 1xAA XM-L T6 light on a 14500 cell provides an output well beyond other 1xAA lights. Frankly rather good for the same price of $25.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
moldyoddy,

Thanks for the review. The large hot spot seems ideal or at least adequate for up-close uses -- the reason I buy small lights. It seems like a good light for the price, but I might have to pass though since I don't use 10440 cells and the 2.9'' length just defeats the purpose of buying a small AAA light.