Lightest throwy weapon mountable light?

entoptics

Enlightened
Been awhile since I've been searching for lights.

I'm looking for the absolute smallest light I can find with ~150 lumens (more is obviously better of course), that will throw as far as technologically possible.

I'd like to mount it on my LAR-8 (.308 AR15). This gun is a pet elephant, and already weighs 13 lbs loaded with a scope and sling, and much of the weight is up front due to it's heavy barrel.

I'd love to find a light that weighs very little and has a tight hotspot.

Criteria in order of importance...

1) Light weight
2) Very throwy. I need ~100 yds through a scope
3) Interface = whatever works as long as it has quick access to high mode via button or twisty

This isn't a combat weapon system, it isn't for hunting, it's for recreational purposes. If a light exists that is up to zombie apocalypse standards, then of course I would be interested, but this is mainly for fun.

Battery isn't important. This won't get used enough for me to worry about cost or other factors. I have 14500, 18650, and 18500 already though (and NiMH AA and AAA), so if it works with those then that's a great bonus. Runtime isn't important either, so as long as it will run regulated for at least 30 minutes, I'm good.

Other than the hotspot, a pleasing beam isn't important. The scope will only see the hotspot.

Budget is tight, but if there's something real nice I might spend more. Lets start with $50-$75 and work from there. Cheaper is better, more would require strong justification.

I already have a TD15 R5 Lumintop and all the extenders and Li-ions out the wazzu, so don't suggest lights in that family. I'm looking for something light weight. Length is not an issue either. Weight is the key.

My dream light would be something the size of of my NiteCore D10 that ran 14500 Li-ion, had 150-200 lumens, and a disgustingly tight hotspot for long throw.

Any ideas or is this a pipe dream?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2 Nitrolon, Z44 Cryos cooling bezel, custom overdriven XP-C or XR-E P60 drop-in from nailbender or vinhnguyen54, and some copper tape.

Polymer body to reduce weight, custom P60 drop-in for maximum possible throw, and Cryos bezel and copper tape to keep the emitter from toasting itself.

Total cost comes out to around $150. Expensive, yes, but you get a nice light-weight light that will do something like 26,000 lux, which translates to approximately 322 meters of throw.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
Oh come on guys, just tell him about the DEREE ASPHERICAL and save him a lot of grief. Check out the dedicated throwers thread . Then email Jay at flashlightconnection.

entoptics

Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas.

I googled them all, and what I found is either real expensive (3 x my budget), or just as large as the Lumintop TD15 r5 beast that I already have. My Terminator is lovely, but it weighs 6 ounces with 1x18650.

My D10 weighs 2 ounces with 1x14500.

Does someone make an r2 or r5 "D10" with a big reflector that weighs 3 ounces? That's what I'm after. $200 is not an option.

A "Quark Mini 123" with a big reflector?

Anyone have a weight for a quark AA with a 4.2v capable turbo head? 14500 in that might be the best option if it doesn't weigh a ton. Can you lego that together?

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
Have you seen the new Streamlight TLR-1 HP? Aside from being a bit more than your initial budget (although it doesn't require an additional mount,) and not using the rechargeable batteries that you already have, it could be perfect. Plenty bright, shock proof, weighs less than 6 ounces, but is also ugly as sin.

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System
Entoptics, would you prefer a single cell light? I know of one that's in that price range but is more of an EDC type light that can run on a single rcr123 or 14500 cell(with the optional extension tube). You can get the smooth reflector for some very good throw and 250 lumens of output. You can get even more throw if you purchase the Javelin head. The light is modular. It's the Dereelight C2H. Here's a link.

http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...-G-R5-Flashlight-Black-HAIII-finish-p307.html

http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...avelin/Javelin-empty-head-with-lens-p321.html

Jay at flashlightconnection is great to deal with and is extremely helpful. Anyway, good luck in your search.

RRA LAR-8...ah now that's a gun!

Last edited:

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
lumapower incendio v3u ($50) and lumapower GT upgrade kit ($33). the upgrade kit comes with an 18650 extender, if you desire more runtime, and a turbo head which allows the incendio become somewhat of a thrower.

entoptics

Enlightened
Incendio looks interesting, although it looks like the XML is all that's going now from my cursory search. More photons, less concentrated.

The Javelin head on the C2H looks interesting too.

Unfortunately for me, nobody gives definitive weights in what I found while googling around. Also, none of the small offerings appear to have exceptionally tight hotspots from the few beam shots I found. Hard to tell of course.

My XPG Terminator throws like an mfer with a 350ish lumen potency, so unless I can cut the weight in half (~3.5 ounces loaded), then what you all have suggested so far probably can't beat what I already have.

This LAR-8 has turned into a frightening beast of a gun. Hell, bare from the factory the thing weighs 9.5 lbs. With bullets and iron sights, it would be about 11 lbs. As I have it, it's 14 lbs with my sling, light, bipod, scope (big mama jamma Bushnell), and 20 rounds of 308. Obviously I'll rarely want to run all that stuff at once, but still. The thing lands more than a pound heavier than my 7mm mag bolt gun.

It's a chunky girl with nothing extra, so I'm trying to shave ounces on my accessories (especially ones out on the front) wherever I can before I go to a lighter scope.

On the bright side, the recoil is negligible. :thumbsup:

abinok

Newly Enlightened
How about a D mini? run it from CR123s, RCR123s, or 18650s with the longer body. You can go to the turbohead if you need insane throw, and there is a remote avalable for it. Its a one inch body, so theres a million options avalable to mount it. If youre interested, you can borrow mine to try out.

I personally am using a Quark turbo X 123 with a 16340 body in a gear sector mount. Its the lightest and best throwing combo, but the runtime is the sux.
A lower cost option is a jetbeam BC10 in a gearsector mount. I was using this combo for a while before switching to the Quark. You can lego a AA body with the BC10 head to allow even more versatile options for power.
Any of these options will easily throw more than 100yds.

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System

entoptics

Enlightened
14500 C2H Javelin looks promising. I'll hunt down some more info. With 14500 extension, it might work out well since I have those already. Price looks good, and reputation is sound.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Supertac would give you the throw ya need, not all that heavy but large reflector.
How about a Sipik68, can run on a 14500, not sure if it would stay focused for the second shot unless you epoxies it in the throw position.

looman

Enlightened
If you want throw look no further than the Deft EDC.

The OP wants to hunt with it and he is using a .308 calibre.

The Deft has a hot spot and nothing else so it is perhaps inadvisable to use solely as the weapon light as it has no spill so you cant see something that is in the danger zone.

I have an original DEFT and whilst I use it for shooting it is used in conjunction with a longer range thrower that has spill.

Once i spot eyes, I will use the DEFT to spot light (literally) to confirm ID and to take the shot.

.308 is a kicky round too especailly without a decent moderator to abssord some of the recoil so rechargeables are usually advised against due tot he shock basically making them fall to bits.

I would do your home work before selecting a deft even though I reckon it is the best kit on the market is you want an aspheric thrower.