Best EDC on a cruise ship?

JulianP

Enlightened
I have done a search of CPF threads, and I found comments about the recent Costa Concordia Cruise disaster. Rather than adding my comment, I decided to cut to the chase and ask CPF members for the best EDC to take on a cruise. Like in the Costa Concordia, any cruise disaster is likely to leave passengers in a dark rabbit warren, in desperate need of a flashlight. A few years ago I went on a cruise and made each member of my family take an EDC. I now realize the EDCs would have helped, but only a little. I think an ideal EDC would have the following properties:

1. Be waterproof.
2. Have different settings. An extra bright mode might be needed to find your way out of large areas, such as the dining room or ballroom.A low mode might be needed to save power, particularly if spending hours in the water.
3. A bright flash mode to attract rescuers.

Any suggestions for a make and model?
help.gif

sadtimes

Enlightened
I just went on a cruise this past October, in my pocket the entire trip was my Preon, even when I slept... Also in my bag was my streamlight micro...

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best EDC On A Cruise Ship?

My family and I are going on a cruise in a couple of months. I have been focusing on the communications aspect of it so, far. For example, I will have my Garminfone with me, which have Garmin maps loaded on it. While I don't plan on using the Garminfone for making phone calls, it is unlocked and I could by a pre-paid GSM SIM card, if necessary. I am mainly concerned with being able to call my wife or both of my two sons. So, I am bringing four extra Nextels that work off-network on Direct Talk.

I have been thinking somewhat about a light. So far, I might just bring my Streamlight Key-Mate. This is an example where it might be nice to have a flashlight function on the old Nextels. I plan on bringing them anyway and since they have a rechargeable battery, it would be nice to have a flashlight function on them.

Snareman

Enlightened
I don't think there would necessarily be any big difference for a light to bring on a ship vs some other EDC light. You might one one with a strobe and maybe an SOS, but many lights like those from Fenix have both of those. Most lights are going to be IPX8 rated and would do fine under water. you'd probably want different brightness settings. You don't always need 200lm. 5lm is surprisingly bright when its pitch black.

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw in my $0.02 here. I'd say some sort of small AA or AAA light with decent lumens and something that is easily carried in a pocket. I've been impressed with my Preon 2 - it's got great light for its small size, decent run times and runs on 2 AAA's. Only downside is it is somewhat easily activated. Had it in my pocket last night (we were moving storage units after dark before the snow) and we were driving and I wondered why my pocket was heating up. Took my cell out and it wasn't that. It was the Preon - apparently I had hit the clicky by accident and it was lighting up my jeans on high.

For cruise ship (and even vacation) use you may want to get something that uses the same batteries as your other electronics. That way if the SHTF you have a supply and maybe even some fresh charged ones. For me that's AA/AAA as my camera's flash uses AA. And I'm just about always charging a set in the room and have a few sets of spares. I would think that would be important as you don't want to leave with 1/2 dead batteries.

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need a zebralight headlamp that can go on the head or hang from your neck on a ship

you are gonna need both hands to save yourself, the light can hang from your neck and the 90 deg angle
of the zebra light makes sure it will aim forward.

look on the forums for inventive ways people have strapped up zebralights...they can go on hats,
lanyards, bars...can't beat them IMHO...you can get a strong magnet and slap it on the butt
of the light and then stick the zebralight against most any wall of the ship, giving you a streetlight
or overhead light.

if you end up in the water a [headlamp and 90deg lamp] is what you want, not a regular light

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
One that floats...
Any good torch that NEVER gets left behind in the cabin when your out and about.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Yes waterproofing is very important, just incase the ship keels over on its side and leaves you stranded in an underwater airpocket for extended period.

SOS beacon essential as well.

In all seriousness, just a small decent light from a reputable company that you feel comfortable with having nearby 24/7. Blackouts on ships are a lot more common than one might think.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there would necessarily be any big difference for a light to bring on a ship vs some other EDC light.

Maybe, but I'm still bookmarking this one along with previous threads such as: BEST LIGHT FOR a hurricane, flood, earthquake, fog, EMP, SHTF, LEO, EMT, mechanic, 2nd year business school student, male nurse, vacation, jogger, elderly lady's purse, cockpit, boat, backpacker, hunting trip, reader, dog walker, scuba diver, off-roader... every purpose distinct enough to demand the right tool for the job.

Best light for a Cruise? I'm thinking something in a Fenix... LD25? Low, High, SOS, plastic grip, IPX8?

brianna

Enlightened
I think a surefire E1B inside a see through waterproof bag around your neck is a good option. Or a real dive light. Also google the captain to make sure you actually have a competent person responsible for the lives of the people on the ship.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I'd carry a small light that's easy to carry and reasonably waterproof. The best light you own is the one you have on you in a shtf situation. Most dive lights I know are big bulky things that are likely to be left on a nightstand vs in your pocket.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
I would carry a small headlamp like a Black Diamond Storm. 2-way radios for each member of your party comes in very handy on a cruise.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
to those who posted that SOS is a must. Do you think they will disregard anyone because their beacon is not flashing ... --- ...?
I also cannot see anyone being remotely comfortable with a e1b in a plastic bag hanging around their neck. Additionally that will make for rather odd tan lines.

HIDC

Banned
Anything with super long runtime. This is a partial reason why I posted the AA with longest runtime query :) I'm still debating with the El Capitan (heavy) or Quark AA R5...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done a search of CPF threads, and I found comments about the recent Costa Concordia Cruise disaster. Rather than adding my comment, I decided to cut to the chase and ask CPF members for the best EDC to take on a cruise. Like in the Costa Concordia, any cruise disaster is likely to leave passengers in a dark rabbit warren, in desperate need of a flashlight. A few years ago I went on a cruise and made each member of my family take an EDC. I now realize the EDCs would have helped, but only a little. I think an ideal EDC would have the following properties:

1. Be waterproof.
2. Have different settings. An extra bright mode might be needed to find your way out of large areas, such as the dining room or ballroom.A low mode might be needed to save power, particularly if spending hours in the water.
3. A bright flash mode to attract rescuers.

Any suggestions for a make and model?
help.gif

On a personal point of view I find the post inappropriate as there is still a remote yet slim chance of finding people alive who just maybe trapped in an air pocket,once the rescue attempt is aborted would be glad to add my suggestion but not just now.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take a 200 Rotary carried in a Thor Hammer custom leather holster that will hold two extry CR123A's (or similar type holster, but don't know of one). However I'd bring along extry batteries in my suit case since the two extry batteries are for emergency use only!

IMO if they don't find you after using the two emergency batteries (on it's three click's beacon mode). I'd say you'll be more then likely, ... if you're real lucky, be a cast-a-way! ... or part of the ocean's food chain!

But as mcnair55 suggested, you'll be very fortunate to get on deck (unless you're in one of the above deck suites) of the ship's sink'in fast and or if your exit is blocked. In that case a loud whistel or ball pein hammer (to signal) may be a better thing to have on you as well!

Now if you're lucky to get on one of the ships life boats, problem solved since they have gps locator thing-a-mah-jig on board don't they?

But at the same time, aren't you suppose to be on vacation?

One last thing, I'd tie a constrictor knot to the Rotary so you've got a lanyard to strap it to your wrist!

Last edited: