flashlight mounting clip for mountain bike handlebars?

extrastout

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if there are any companies that provide a handlebar mounting kit, or clip to be able to attach a regular flashlight. I do a lot of night trail riding and camping. I would rather have a quality flashlight rather than sacrafice lumens and operating time with a headlamp. I want to invest in a good quality flashlight and would like to get the most out of my investment. I plan on using this setup with a cheaper $30 petzl headlamp I already own when riding, and then detach the flashlight for use when camping.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
klarus has a product called klarus B1A or klarus BD1.
it's a bike mount, please google

extrastout

Newly Enlightened
The fenix holder looks good, but am worried about plastic holders cracking. The light I have been looking at is the Fenix PD 32 so being the same brand is a bonus. I also came accross a hose clamp setup on this fourm that seems pretty tough and foolproof. I am a little nervous about the Fenix holder, or any holder that is plastic but for $15 and the shock absorbing rubber mats I'll probably give it a shot.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens sells the TwoFish BikeBlocks (inline) and Lockblocks (90-degree) in packs of 3 for ~$16 HERE. The former are for thicker tube lights, the latter smaller tubes like AAs.

... I would rather have a quality flashlight rather than sacrafice lumens and operating time with a headlamp. I want to invest in a good quality flashlight and would like to get the most out of my investment....

Agree with that... hate my Petzl and Black Diamond stuff now.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Depending on the angle of your handlebars at the mounting point you may wish for the ability to adjust the angle of the light horizontally so the the centre of the beam is shining straight ahead (otherwise you may find the light shining off to one side).

Helmut.G

Enlightened
The fenix bike mount works but inserting and removing the light is a bit cumbersome and you can easily lose the black screw nuts in the dark (that's why it comes with two extra, I suppose).
It's also pretty big.

I can't speak to durability as I don't really use it much.

I've got another bike mount I bought in a local bike store made by LED Lenser. I don't own any light of this brand because they are totally overpriced for the relatively low quality, but the bike mount actually works pretty well. I use it about every second day in the winter.
The downside is it isn't adjustable but fixed to a 1" flashlight diameter so it should work with a Fenix PD32 and most "tactical" 2xCR123 sized lights but not with every flashlight.
It's this one: http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/led-lenser-accessories/bicycle-torch-holder.html

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight Mounting Clip For Mountain Bike Handlebars?

I have a friend that has been talking about something like this, so thanks for posting this. I will pass along the information to him!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am doing rides for years now with flashlights on the bars,
started with 8X/9N, now the smaller (but way brighter) 6P with 18650 and led insert lights.
it simply works so good, that I see no use (for me) to get those "real" bike lights which I could only use for biking (single-use lights) ;)

Fenix Holder: bulky and ugly, useless
2-fish: can not be tilted sideways --> useless
cheap (but best) holder from dealextreme: dealextreme med sized light bar holder
this is what I recommend.
... to be on the safe side, better put a rubber band front over light, under bars and at back again over light

and the best holder overall is homemade
(small, light, cheap, still works perfect)
ayv2m3ij914er12tm.jpg

(also to be used with "safety" rubber band)

Last edited:

extrastout

Newly Enlightened
Thanks the dealextreme looks much better to me than the Fenix and for 3 bucks. Now that I seem to have a good grasp on the clip problem (but keep the suggestions coming), does anyone have any recomendations from experience for a flashlight to go in the clip. I just canceled the order for the Fenix PD32, I want to look around a little more, being that there is still snow on the ground for another month or so. Looking for a good solid flashlight no more than $150 for night trailriding/camping light. THANKS AGAIN!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can give a plus to the twofish lockblocks, I like mine a lot. I've been using my P-Rocket XM-L as a bike light, and it works just fine. Nice spot with plenty of flood, low is good for people seeing you, medium is plenty for lighting up your area, high is there just for fun ;) Check out the review in my signature.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If You want to have a light which should also be small: 1* or 2* Cr123 battery
if You want to USE a light --> running costs --> 1*18650 Li-Ion.
way more power, less "small" parts, same size of light
Thats it.

night trailriding/camping light.
headlamp:
Zebralight H600

light for bars:
* 18650 bored SF 6 P bodies
+
* a lightbender XM-L led insert --> Lightbender's order thread

one of the XM-L high power, three stage inserts, like I ordered with post #27 there, will blow You away.
The headlamp is just for additional fun.

PS:
* 18650 bodies in less mechanical quality can be ordered for much less.
* I would advise to order the option "McKlicky switch" when getting a bored 6P body from oveready
* 2 * 18650 cells + charger cost a 20-30,-- together. Cheapest rechargeable setup possible. (+ best one, as most power in smallest package)

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Just my 2 cents. I got this one from Lighthound http://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Force-Bike-Mount_p_3901.html it was cheap dont forget to use CPF discount. I added some thin spongy strips that I had around the flashlight before inserting it to make a tighter fit. Oh and +1 on getting an 18650'd 6P with a Nailbender drop-in for a bike light set-up get one with two modes low of a not so packed bike path/trail and high for when no one is around you can possibly blind.

LCT

Newly Enlightened
I have used both versions of the fenix handlebar mountings and the two fish lockblock. The newer fenix AF02 has a special screw that does not comes out. It stay on the mounting when unsrewed. Alittle bulky but solid. I use both fenix models for mounting 18650 lights for off rd riding. The two fish lockblock is good only for small single aa or single rc123 on the handlebar, i use it for helmet mounting 18650 lights though.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I am doing rides for years now with flashlights on the bars,
started with 8X/9N, now the smaller (but way brighter) 6P with 18650 and led insert lights.
it simply works so good, that I see no use (for me) to get those "real" bike lights which I could only use for biking (single-use lights) ;)

Fenix Holder: bulky and ugly, useless
2-fish: can not be tilted sideways --> useless
cheap (but best) holder from dealextreme: dealextreme med sized light bar holder
this is what I recommend.
... to be on the safe side, better put a rubber band front over light, under bars and at back again over light

and the best holder overall is homemade
(small, light, cheap, still works perfect)
ayv2m3ij914er12tm.jpg

(also to be used with "safety" rubber band)

That looks like a great setup, but I'm not certain I recognise the plastic parts used there (conduit pipe clips?), so can you elaborate on what the original use for them is? Plus any other suggestions in putting them together? When it comes to bikes, I like to use things that are easy to replace, and also to have experienced advice on what is liable to come apart on the road....

R