XML optics

DKlaser

Enlightened
Looking for suggestions on optics for the XML emitter. I need a good suggestion for spot and a somewhat floody beam pattern. The optics have to be able to attach to a star board in some sort of fashion.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the only source but IMO the best is at led-tech.de

Selection of different brands on the left side, though the Carclo optics link above have lens holders available for them that make things easier for attachment. Also try ledsupply.com.

Toaster79

Enlightened
I would recommend you Ledil LXP RS optic. It gives "wide spot" an looks like this with XML at 3.5A

18662572.jpg

DKlaser

Enlightened
What kind of lumen do you think you are getting @ 3.5a? I like the wide spot look. It would be prefect for my project. A good mix of spot/flood. Can you please take a different picture showing how far it will throw?

I guess I should of stated reflector instead of optic as a reflector will suit my needs better for this project. Also aluminum will be a plus.

I would recommend you Ledil LXP RS optic. It gives "wide spot" an looks like this with XML at 3.5A

Last edited:

DKlaser

Enlightened
The wilderness pic is great just really looking to see how far it will throw. I would like to see it shined on an object that is 50, 75, and 100 yards away.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I just ordered that exact reflector from cutter to play with about a week ago (XML-10R). Any input on that one as it really interested me!?!?!?!?!

I really like the beam. The reflector is just a tad larger than my 2nd prototype could handle, so I am not using it on my 2nd prototype, but I look forward to making a light with this relatively "small/medium" size reflector ;)

DKlaser

Enlightened
I am not concerned with the size for my project, the 28mm diamater will suit me fine. I am more wondering what kind of beam it will produce? Is it more spot or flood pattern? Or is it a nice mix? I am Doing a project that will use either 36 xml emitters or 8, ssr-90 emitters. I am just trying to imagine how it would look with 36 xml emitters with that reflector on each one. Or if I should use that reflector for half and the other half use a different reflector for more spot or flood beam depending on how the beam is using the XML-10R.

You are right up the road from me in the DFW btw. Would love to check out your projects sometime.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
To me the beam is a good combination of flood and spot, but more so towards flood (like 60%/40%).

If you are using 36x XML's or 8x SSR-90's, I hope you have some serious heat sink for them :devil:

DKlaser

Enlightened
To me the beam is a good combination of flood and spot, but more so towards flood (like 60%/40%).

If you are using 36x XML's or 8x SSR-90's, I hope you have some serious heat sink for them :devil:

Not planning on running them for long periods. Thanks for the opinion on the reflector. I will test for myself when I get mine in. 36 of these may be ok with more of a flood pattern. I think that will still throw a good distance.....