NEWBIE question about XPE, XPG, XML and the Fenix Pd32

extrastout

Newly Enlightened
Googled it and got no answer, got to tuck my tail between my legs and find out how exactly XPE, XPG, XML and other abbreviations relate to flashlights:wave:. I get the impression that XML is better but have no clue why. On a different note I just ordered a Fenix PD32 and this is my first over $40 dollar purchase for an edc light. I can't find many reviews on this forum or anywhere else (besides the maker, and early prototype versions), so it would be nice to get some user impressions on this light. THANK YOU!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are different Cree LED lines.

XR-E: Older, less efficient. Best for throw due to optical reasons
XP-E: Less old, more efficient.
XP-G: Less old, less good for throw.
XM-L: Newest, quite efficient, worse for throw due to optics.

extrastout

Newly Enlightened
Just cancelled the Fenix PD32 order, did not know it was made in China and I don't care how good of a light it is. Thanks for the heads up though anapplesnail!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just cancelled the Fenix PD32 order, did not know it was made in China and I don't care how good of a light it is. Thanks for the heads up though anapplesnail!

Very few flashlights qualify as 'Made in US.' That requires that the essential parts be made in the US. LEDs and control circuits generally are not. Good luck! There are threads here that debate the USA-ness of various lights. I have one from HDS Systems on order.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The abbreviations you are talking about are the models of the LED each with a different size and brightness, Fenix is a good company if ur really set on a totally US company the only 2 I can think of are 4sevens and Deerelight but theres more.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The abbreviations you are talking about are the models of the LED each with a different size and brightness, Fenix is a good company if ur really set on a totally US company the only 2 I can think of are 4sevens and Deerelight but theres more.
And both 4Sevens and Deerelight are 100% made in China. What's the diff?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of things are designed and assembled in the US, with components manufactured in China. This has been discussed, At Length, in other threads.
Excuse me, if your reply was directed at me, I have no idea why you are telling me that. Please reread what ScaryFatKidGT's post which I have quoted earlier. I was merely correcting a misinformation when he claimed that 4Sevens and Deerelight are 100% US company. Yes, he is not wrong. They are indeed US company but their manufacturing processes are conducted fully in China. I gave my reasoning on the above reply because the OP had requested for a light that is not made in China, but by telling the OP that 4Sevens and Deerelight are both US company could lead to confusion and misinformation on the OP's part.

Just to clarify, I am FULLY aware of who made which parts.

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find many reviews on this forum or anywhere else (besides the maker, and early prototype versions), so it would be nice to get some user impressions on this light. THANK YOU!

The prototype & formal versions of the PD32 are same in the features(or specs.). You can see the related reviews or threads here in CPF and judge if it is suitable(or right) light for you by yourself.

Also you can use thishttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?135-Recommend-Me-a-Light-For....

Last edited:

extrastout

Newly Enlightened
Well I would at least prefer a U.S. company or manufacturing done in the U.S. I guess from what I am seeing you really can't win but this goes with most products these days (especialy products with electronic components). Work getting sent to China was a big reason I got layed off from a Union machine shop I was in for 7 years and my father who was there for 35 years, even at the new shop I am at the outsourcing to China from our larger customers is definetly has been affecting our workload. I alway try my best to support the American worker. My impression is in the flashlight world you can't be to picky if you want a good product for a respectful price point. It seems the quality control coming out of China is pretty good for the more popular brands of flashlights I have seen written about on CPF. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Correction Peak, Electrolumens and of course Surefire and Mag-lite. I thought dereelight was made in us? and 4sevens ha

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
The two most important components of any "Made in the USA" light are still produced overseas (the LED and the battery). I understand the importance of supporting the economy of the country in which I live (I think...), but then again maybe I don't.

The point is: I'm not going to buy expensive junk just because it's American. And I also won't buy Chinese junk just because it's cheap. I will, however, spend my hard earned money happily on a quality product at a competitive price, regardless of where it was manufactured.