1st post and I already need an intervention.

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks to my lurking here for a scant 72 hours, and my lack of self control, I am now a few hundred dollars poorer, and have the following lights on their way to me...

1. A Maratac AAA Rev 2
2. A Novatac 120E (pewter)
3. A Novatac Storm (black...for $40 on sale, how could I not?)
4. This (hopefully as cool as it looks) ASP Tungsten 1...

asp.jpg

And last but not least,

5. A Jetbeam Jet III XML

I will likely not be keeping all these lights (open box sale coming soon!). My gut says the Jetbeam stays and becomes the house (tiny apartment in NYC) flashlight, the Maratac may end up on the keychain to replace a Streamlight Nano, and one of the remaining 3 will find its way into my EDC bag.

I have a good feeling about the ASP. Not much chatter about it out there, but what there is sounds good. One guy said it "blew away" his Surefire U2. I love the no nonsense design. It's very Leica-esque to me.

All I need now is the strength to NOT buy a Jetbeam ES3.

One quick question for all you torchheads...is it just me or is the Inova X5 kinda crappy? I've had one in my junk drawer for what must be 15 years. There was major hype about it when it came out, and that was long before the internet. But I never liked it. It gives off a terrible multicolored light, and the "beams" are totally scattered and uneven. I do still like the design though. Have they changed the light itself over the years? Would a new one be any better than my old one? And what's the consensus on its little brother, the X1? I like the design of it as well. My hunch is these are not bright lights at all.

mcdj

Last edited by a moderator:

egrep

Enlightened
Cool choices. Welcome to the slippery slope. Long before what? Some us have been on the net for like 30 years now! Some longer. ;)

Viper715

Enlightened
Your in trouble now hold on to your wallet. Your 120E Has an Easter egg where you can click it 120 times and it becomes a programable 120P.

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Cool choices. Welcome to the slippery slope. Long before what? Some us have been on the net for like 30 years now! Some longer. ;)

ok, I should have said long before JPEGs, in the time of 14.4 baud modems.

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
ok, I should have said long before JPEGs, in the time of 14.4 baud modems.

I've been on line since the 2400 baud modem which was a step up from 300 and 1200 baud. The days of a computer with 48k of memory and 180k floppy disks.... Those were the days! :)

To the OP: Welcome to the club. Been here a couple weeks and have the fever too. Upgraded the 2AA Mag with a Terralux drop in, picked up a couple cheap lights from Home Depot, a Preon 2 and have a TK45 on order. I've gone through my NiMH stash with the Maha C-9000, recycled a bunch and bought a bunch too.

It's becoming an addiction and I really don't need another! :)

HIDblue

Enlightened
:welcome: Welcome to the dark side...and yes, you should buy a Jetbeam E3S...it's calling your name. Just kidding.

Really though, I've got a Jetbeam E3S and it's still one of my favorite lights. Sleek lines, simple UI and solid construction.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
I hear you buddy. My first light I bought in November of '11... a TK15. Since then I also bought an E15, E05, LD10, P20A2, Preon 1, PC10, BC40, and an SR51. I am getting a T40CS at the end of this month, and have plans for a Tk41, M40A, Preon 2, TN11, Catapult V3, M3C4 triple XML.
Eventually a TK70 and SR90 as well. Good grief!!!!!

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Unload the Storm while it's still working...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
iNova X5 is fine for what it is. an older muiti 5 MM LED light that's well built. today's LEDs can get more power from a single AA cell than the older 2 CR123 lights.

dont worry about what you have done. looks like you have gained knowledge rapidly from your 72 hrs here!

WTG and welcome!

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
Seek counseling immediately.

I discovered CPF in October of 2011. The damage so far: Fenix e01, e11, e21, TK41, LD01, several ITP A3s, eagletac D25A and D25LC2, IllumimaTi AAA, Zebralight SC51w, SC600w, H600w, Jetbeam PC10 and PA40, 4sevens QuarkX2aa, Quark 123.

That doesn't count the several e21s, a PA20, an SC51, a ton of e01s and a buncha sets of eneloops that I gifted this year...

Or the Maha charger, a PILA charger, eneloops that appear to be breeding/multiplying at night, and a plethora of AW Li-ion protected cells.

Wow, I'd never done an inventory before... Anyone know a good therapist?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Anyone know a good therapist?

Therapist?!?!? As long as you're within the confines of the wonderful CPF forums there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Once you get out in the regular world, that's a whole different ball game.

Nice start to an expensive hobby.

diesel79

Enlightened
Im in the same boat, bought my first real flashlight in December (Elzetta 3 cell). Then I picked up a Quark AA^2 X in the marketplace and a bunch of eneloops and a charger for those. Now I sold the Quark and ordered a Sunwayman V10A XML, Pila Charger and 3 AW 14500's to go with it. Im just waiting for some more Malkoff Wildcats to get made and I will have one of those as well.

AaronG

Enlightened
:welcome: It's a cool hobby with lots to learn and experience. I'd suggest not buying anything else until you've tried the lights you've bought. That way you can get a feel for what you like and dislike. Then later you can try different manufacturers, types of UI's, battery types etc...

Also check out the reviews section and the CPF marketplace ;)

egrep

Enlightened
Seek counseling immediately.
[...]
Anyone know a good therapist?

In fact, I do know an excellent therapist (LSCSW). She's a friend of mine and a regular here. She's a wonderful person, an excellent therapist and a compulsive flashaholic of the first degree. I kid you naught.