Can Anyone Identify this Light?

aguynamedmike

Newly Enlightened
I recieve this flashlight as a tip from a service call I did lastnight from a cash strapped Military Guy. Pulled it right off his Bushmaster and would not let me turn it down. Half the base here is already on lock down cuz of missing Night Vision goggles, lol.
Its a Surefire light, theres numbers on the side that google knows nothing about.
I would like if someone could tell me what model and what mods I have so I can research it myself, or if u just wanted to tell me what I got, how old it is and the quality and value, then/now would be awesome.
Thanks in advance.
399993_366643280017416_100000152400601_1633994_855917999_n.jpg

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
M951 (I think 951 is the thumbscrew, 952 is the throw lever). Nice light. Retails for around $300. Used, they go for around $125-$150. Your upgrade options with the bezel you have, which is an older one, is limited to lower out-put drop-ins (Like the Malkoff M61L/M60L). Also, the SW01 tail-cap on the back are pretty rare now a days, and the tail-cap alone will sale for around $85. Yeah, you got a pretty sweet rig for it being free. He was probably issued it, and didn't care for it...It took me a LONG while to get one of these lights, and I love it.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!!!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll +1 what AOW said. If you plan on mounting it on a railed forearm, do some research here (or take AOW's advice) and get an LED drop in for it.

Nice score.

aguynamedmike

Newly Enlightened
I am a Automotive Roadside Service Tech, jumps, locks, tires, ect. And this Gentleman called for a jump, turns out his Batt was good and I wasnt getting paid, I was already there and already dirty so I help him establish it was a faulty fuel pump wiring and butchered my trucks wiring harness for enough wire to get his pump hot again. He very thankful, and I couldnt have been happier to help.
So, with my job I need a good palm-able flashlight and I thought I had a bada$$ one untill I got my hands on this SureFire. My other light takes 3 lith AAA's and I want to say it is 140 lumens, and this SureFire outshines the heck out of it.
I see these lights are like lego's with interchangable parts, can the barrell/weapon mount/battery enclosure be swapped out for somthing regular?
I feel a new hobby comming on....
Thanks for the input and the welcome.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I see these lights are like lego's with interchangable parts, can the barrell/weapon mount/battery enclosure be swapped out for somthing regular?....

Yep, that one would take C-series compatible parts (like a C2 body, for example). Like AoW mentioned above, you have a vintage bezel and tailswitch which happen to be older (collectible) versions of those parts. There are a variety of P60/D26 drop-in options, if you want to update/upgrade the lamp to an LED.

SikDMAX

Newly Enlightened
Mike... get ready... the hobby is about to hit hard LOL.

Id probably sell that light here in the marketplace and then buy something a little more suited to your use as a roadside tech. Just my opinion.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,

Check out the SF Diagram in my sig for some ideas on what you can do. If you don't plan on using it as a weapon light, you can sale the MH90 (The body) and the tail-cap, and the LU60 adapter (the part that gos between the body and the bezel), and use the money towards a C2 or C3 Body, a drop-in, and a tail-cap. But, given that the bezel is limited to lower powered LED drop-ins, and the tail-cap is not really suited to hand-helds (kind of takes away from the combat grip "squeeze to activate" design) your better off A) Keeping it and using it as a weapon light, or B) Selling the whole thing out-right (in parts will net you a little more) and using the funds for a complete hand-held and a decent drop-in. If you like the look and desgin of the weapon light, the HA-Grey lights will be for you, like the stock C2/C3-HA's.

aguynamedmike

Newly Enlightened
What kind of shop/store do You recommend I visit to possibly find mods/parts for this light? I feel the margin of error for ordering wrong parts online may be too big for me lol

Vesper

Enlightened
M951 (I think 951 is the thumbscrew, 952 is the throw lever). Nice light. Retails for around $300. Used, they go for around $125-$150. Your upgrade options with the bezel you have, which is an older one, is limited to lower out-put drop-ins (Like the Malkoff M61L/M60L). Also, the SW01 tail-cap on the back are pretty rare now a days, and the tail-cap alone will sale for around $85. Yeah, you got a pretty sweet rig for it being free. He was probably issued it, and didn't care for it...It took me a LONG while to get one of these lights, and I love it.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!!!

Wow, nice answer man!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Vesper...I choked on the SW01..."Fatty"...Duh... LOL!

What kind of shop/store do You recommend I visit to possibly find mods/parts for this light? I feel the margin of error for ordering wrong parts online may be too big for me lol

Check-out "cpfmarketplace.com". Best place on the web to buy lights PERIOD, and great people to deal with. You'll have to re-register, but it's well woth it. I;ve done hundreds of transactions, and everything has always gone super smooth. But, just a heads up...if you haven't figured it out yet, a tail-cap for a Surefire will cost more than a "nice" light at Wally-World. But, as you may have also noticed as well, these aren't your ordinary flashlights. They will survive things you won't. 99% of the soldiers I saw in Iraq had these exact models (or the 9Volt M96x) on their weapons.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I concur the AOW's identification, I always wanted to say concur. I know LED drop-ins and upgrades are great, but if the OP is cash strapped himself, I ran a night time training class last year with a stock 951 with P61 lamp assembly. I think everything worked great and I didn't feel under-gunned. The 951 is a good light and is probably better with upgrades, but it isn't bad in stock configuration.