Surefire Fury vs Olight M21-X

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
Which do you think is the better flashlight for overal durability, brightness, and throw?

Surefire Fury
-Long history of durability
-Always seems to throw more lumens then listed
-Fury has a Low-High-Low... interface
-30.5mm Bezel

Olight M21-X
-Very durable
-Twisty head interface
-40.2mm Bezel

Last edited:

packeagle

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in this as well. Anyone own both? Or maybe a m20s-x. (Didn't check but may have similar sized reflectors?)

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my new M21x for about a week now and it seems to work great. I'm not a huge fan of the small size, but I'v never been a fan of the 2x 123 sized lights in general. I have a M31 Triton that i use 3x123s in. I took the extender from the M31 and added it to the M21X along with a 123 spacer. I really like the feel of the light now. So far I have had zero problems with it. I only wish that there was a smooth reflector option. Now I just need to think of a reason to buy the Fury...

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
Imo, the Fury would be a good light if it has a glass window.. polycarbonate scratches to easy.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
Imo, the Fury would be a good light if it had a glass window.. polycarbonate scratches to easy.

Last edited:

flourite

Newly Enlightened
I would like an answer to this as well, I already own a fury and am very pleased, but would like the bezel front on the m21x.

nybucketman

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I have the surefire fury and the olight m20-x (sorry, not the m21-x). The fury is my Edc and the m20-x is my weapon light. They are both amazingly bright. I prefer the surefire's "feel" but you can't beat the olight's price. The olight is a bargain at about half the cost. Plus, it can use rechargable 18650's, includes a case, holster and spare o rings. And I love the side switch strobe feature on the olight.

If I had to pick one over the other, it would be the olight.

packeagle

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I have the surefire fury and the olight m20-x (sorry, not the m21-x). The fury is my Edc and the m20-x is my weapon light. They are both amazingly bright. I prefer the surefire's "feel" but you can't beat the olight's price. The olight is a bargain at about half the cost. Plus, it can use rechargable 18650's, includes a case, holster and spare o rings. And I love the side switch strobe feature on the olight.

If I had to pick one over the other, it would be the olight.

Would you speak on the beam pattern (throw vs flood) and build quality of the two lights? I'm considering these two lights.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fury and an Olight M20-S3. I have been very displeased with my Olight from the day I received it. I don't like the tint, there is no way it is 340 lumens as claimed, and the switch in the back is a nightmare to find in the dark, which is when you use a flashlight. The only feature it has that I like over the Fury is the middle 100 lumen setting. Other than that, the Fury is superior in every other way that matters to me. Smaller, Brighter, tint, and it throws farther. So based on this I wouldn't buy another Olight M20 or M21 unless Olight is doing things a little different.

If you know anyone that wants a Olight M20-S3 cheap, just PM me.

my 2 cents. Don't spend it all in one place.

Last edited:

packeagle

Newly Enlightened
Interesting assessment comparing to the s3 led. I wonder if the xml they are now using will increase performance enough. Still would love some direct comparisons. Maybe I'll hit the lotto and be able to buy both.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
There must be another thread comparing these exact two lights, because i remember mentioning there that JetBeam's bc25 might be one to consider too- I just wish the Fury had a low as bright as the bc25's, or that the bc25 was made by surefire (or at least not in JB's budget line).

shramj

Newly Enlightened
I have an M20 with the smooth reflector, an M20 with the orange peel reflector, and I just got my Fury last week. I do like my M20's but I really am impressed with the Fury. I paid 108 for the Fury and I think it's an awesome light for the money, can't beat the value. My Fury has a glass lense on it by the way. I think the Fury has great flood with pretty good throw, more throw then my M20 with the orange peel reflector and maybe more throw then the smooth reflector M20 but I haven't taken my lights out to a field for a side by side comparison on throw yet so I could be wrong. Regardless, the Fury is putting out as much if not more light then both my M20's together. The Fury completely lights up my backyard on high, it's like a search light. I do like the different light settings on the M20s but all I really need is a low and a high. The Fury has a perfect low setting for my taste and the high is like search light bright.

spc smith

Enlightened
I disagree on the olight M20 being a shotty light at best. Maybe the older ones. I have the newer Olight M20X utilizing the newer XML emitter, and it is flawless in performance, tint and tactical user interface. Ill be honest though, i do not have an SF fury, but i know off of my own merits, the newer Olight M20X is rated at 500 ANSI lumens (same as the SF Fury) well and probably very similiar in brightness if not better. Hands down a more intuitive user interface by far. Now the M21X? can't speak on that because i dont have it. And yes, my M20X looks like a hand held spot light as well* pretty cool that technology has afforded us that in this day and age.:whistle:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked out the Surefire video for the Fury and it seems to me that there is no real momentary mode on it. The model demonstrated it in low mode, then turned it off then on again (one second or less) for high mode. For me that would immediately disqualify it for consideration but I'm not sure if it would for you.

shramj

Newly Enlightened
The Fury has a 2 stage clicky like the Olight, push it half way in for momentary on and push it in all the way for constant on. If you want it on high, you double tab it for momentary on and then push it in all the way for constant on.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Fury has a 2 stage clicky like the Olight, push it half way in for momentary on and push it in all the way for constant on. If you want it on high, you double tab it for momentary on and then push it in all the way for constant on.

Yeah, a tactical light should always come on in HIGH, period...no matter what. No scrolling, etc...if the Fury doesn't come on in high as its default, its not going to work in that use. It WOULD make it work better for every one else, who typically DOES want the light to come on at low first....but not for tactical use.

shramj

Newly Enlightened
TEEJ, the new DM2 Defender is supposed to come on High first then low, plus it has a TIR lense on it. That will be the next light I buy once it comes out.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
TEEJ, the new DM2 Defender is supposed to come on High first then low, plus it has a TIR lense on it. That will be the next light I buy once it comes out.

LOL - THAT sounds more like it.

:D