Re-chargable lithium cr123 for Princeton Apex Pro headtorch

Robert33876

Newly Enlightened
I have recently bought a Princeton Tec Apex pro headtorch which takes two lithium cr123s in a battery pack located at the back of the headband. This is a neat light setup and works well but when I made the purchase I did not realise what a minefield it was to find a suitable re-chargable cr123. Princeton toldme that I can use a re-chargable in the torch but it must have a 3 volt output not 3.7. I live in the UK and the options of re-chargeable cr123s is very limited. Could anyone recommend a suitable good quality charger and batteries for this application. The charger in my local shop charges one battery at a time. The batteries are li-ion and have a 3v output and produces 600mah which does not seem a lot.

Can anyone give me advice on what charger battery set up to buy. I live in the UK but will be travelling to Hong Kong tomorrow and could seek to get charger and battery there if I know what to look for.

Any help much apprecited.

Robert

barnefko

Newly Enlightened
I just wouldn't want any rcr123 in serial on the back of my head.

Advice no. 1:
Go to the battery sub forum and search for serial Li-ion incidents. ESP. with cheap china cells.

Advice no.2:
Go to cpfmarketplace-dealers corner and look into AW's Li-ion sales thread.He has all kind of batteries, and all are high quality.

Advice no. 3:
Use the search and ask yourself after having read the numerous threads about the apex pro and rcr123 if 50 min. runtime and then sudden shutoff is ok for you.

Hope, I could help.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
IIRC, other users have run the Apex Pro on a pair of 3.7v 16340's without trouble. just make sure the batteries you get fit. li-ion's sometimes have inconsistent sizing.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works fine on AW 16340s (use protected cells), but it is instant darkness without warning when the protection circuit kicks in. It is rated for up to 8.4V, cleared it with PT when it came out.