Anodize Your Car!

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened
Forget the paint and the clear-coat nonsense...just hard anodize that mess! How sweet would that be?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Forget the paint and the clear-coat nonsense...just hard anodize that mess! How sweet would that be?
I think this idea is a fail for car bodies, as I figure anodizing tends to be primarily used on aluminum of a certain thickness and large panels of it could end up being less flexible than desired. If you had any sort of wreck you would essentially end up having to replace the entire panel otherwise because you cannot do body repair and anodize over bondo or whatever.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Land Rovers and Range Rovers have aluminum panels. The old Shelby Cobras did also, along with many newer vehicles.

The aluminum is more flexible when annealed properly.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Land Rovers and Range Rovers have aluminum panels. The old Shelby Cobras did also, along with many newer vehicles.

The aluminum is more flexible when annealed properly.
but doesn't anodizing it make it less flexible?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, time to hit up wikepedia...

My experience is that the aluminum will dent and the anodize will not, chipping off. I have exactly two dents where both HAIII and aluminum dented together, and both were large-radius dents.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
1- All body parts must be same type of alumium alloy.
2- Can't hard anodize thin plates. Will melt. Many alumium rims are anodized.
3- Limited colors available for type II and 2 colors available in mil spec type III
4- Type III can't shine.
5- All body parts of same vehicle must be hard anodized in same tank with same temperature in same time otherwize color tone won't match. (too expensive)
6- In case of accident, whole piece must be replaced (can't use bondo) and still hard to match color.
7- Thin aluminum is hard to weld without deformation and rivets are ugly.
8- Rivited parts can't be anodize as an one piece. Each piece must be seperately electrdize.

87james

Newly Enlightened
hard anodizing III is indeed a good way for the protection of the lights, but it has the defects as well--when dropped down up high, the anodizing might be broken into pieces. If for cars, not that good as I think.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my anodized flashlights suck up heat from the sun like nothing else. Personally I wouldn't want to have an anodized car, but it would be neat as a "just because I can" deal...