Conjecture on what kind of LED is being used?

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
This is a snip from an email list describing a new bike light.
The cateye light described is not on their web site. Any ideas on what cateye is using?

Improved bike lights were visible all around the show. But the most interesting one we found won't actually be on the market till the spring. Made by Cateye, it's small and looks unassuming with just one LED, but it puts out a mind-boggling 1,000 candlepower. That's 600 more than Cateye's current big seller, the 5-LED Opticube. Dubbed the Power Opticube, the new light reportedly will burn for 30 hours on 4 AA batteries. It's expected to sell for $45-$50.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It probably has a Luxeon Star LED in it.
The 1,000 candlepower, the 30 hour runtime on 4xAA cells, and the $45-$50 pricetag all point in that direction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I think CatEye will do well with that light. No other mass market manufacturer is addressing the opportunity yet. By the time spring rolls around, people will be itching to do a 3 watt mod on the CatEye.

I'm using an Elektrolumens 1W Elektro-Star headlamp as a headlight, ty-wrapping it on my handlebars. Works extremely well, good throw, but I'd like just a bit more side spill. In the spring, I'll experiment with a couple of pieces of Writeright or transparent tape.