Anyone have an EagleTac Eagletac D25C? I'd like some first hand recommendations

belomeclone

Enlightened
So I am looking for a new keychain light. I never go for twistie lights, but I love EagleTac so I am willing to give this one a shot. My last twistie (IPT A1) failed hard. It was either on, or the head would pop off. So my first question is: How much room is there between off and popped off? I am very scared of that happening again.

How do you twist it with one hand?

Do you use a Li-Ion in there? I know it can take it. I'm interested in a rechargable, just would like to know more about your charging habits and all. Maybe a good battery seller.

Thanks!

Streamer

Enlightened
So I am looking for a new keychain light. I never go for twistie lights, but I love EagleTac so I am willing to give this one a shot. My last twistie (IPT A1) failed hard. It was either on, or the head would pop off. So my first question is: How much room is there between off and popped off? I am very scared of that happening again. There are 3 full turns from on to pop off. Nothin to worry about there at all.

How do you twist it with one hand? Simple, youd think it was hydraulic, its so EZ I couldn't believe it was that easy to turn one handed but it IS

Do you use a Li-Ion in there? I know it can take it. I'm interested in a rechargable, just would like to know more about your charging habits and all. Maybe a good battery seller.
No lithiums in D25C unless you get the new Titanium model. There were D25A's that fried with lithium ions and also a D25C I believe. I read it on this forum.
s

Thanks!

Streamer

Enlightened
On the one hand turn thing. I rest the tail of the light in center of my palm and turn head with thumb and index. So easy. yep,,, a caveman could...you know the rest :)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the matter of running lithium Ions: Start with post #37 at link below . You will also see where EagleTac's support document was removed. It claimed use with lithium ion rechargeables was supported. So now, if you want Lith Ion support, the Titanium offerings have it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...9-Eagletac-D25A-D25A2-D25C-D25C2-D25LC2/page2

Normally it's kind of strange to find tolerances this tight when we're talking about a 3 volt battery system that can't tolerate a 4.2v battery, but my guess is that it doesn't have to do with the tolerance of the electronic parts (which tend to have a lot more leeway) but has more to do with how the current regulator circuit is designed.

Let me explain. The forward voltage drop of most of these LED's is around 3.25V. For any battery less than this voltage you need a boost type of circuit. For voltages above you need a buck. For voltages that utilize both, you need a buck-boost but they are more elaborate. So my guess is that this circuit is boost only. That would explain why a 4.2v battery fried the circuit. That's because the architecture of a boost circuit takes the input power through an inductor and then through a schottky diode and then to the LED. The switching device is between the inductor and the diode to ground. If the voltage is above that which is required for regulation, the switching is off and the current passes straight from the battery through the inductor and diode to the LED.........which is going to be too high and uncontrolled and likely to burn out the inductor, the diode or the LED.

Just a guess.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Should I stick to CR123's with this light? I've done some reading on it, and the titanium one.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I stick to CR123's with this light? I've done some reading on it, and the titanium one.

I have both the aluminum and the titanium versions. Following the manufacturer's recommendations I use only primaries in the former. I tested the Ti version with an RCR123 (approved in this case) and the output is very high but in practice you lose the lower level so the light is not much useable in the real world. Additionally it becomes hot very quickly. So for me it's primaries also here.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I am looking for a new keychain light. I never go for twistie lights, but I love EagleTac so I am willing to give this one a shot. My last twistie (IPT A1) failed hard. It was either on, or the head would pop off. So my first question is: How much room is there between off and popped off? I am very scared of that happening again.

How do you twist it with one hand?

Thanks!
Hi, afraid I can't comment the D25C but I do have a D23LC2 and I gifted a D25A2 to my brother at the beginning of the month.

I do admit my view might be slightly biased as this was my first 'premium' LED flashlight, but in fairness I had no brand loyalty and an open choice of what to buy.

I am glad I got the EagleTac D series though. Build seems to be first rate and the pocket clip is just so usable and well positioned for deep carry. Be it shirt or jeans pocket, even with the larger D25LC2. I don't personally use the lanyard/wrist strap, but if you do then they have a very nice attachment clip and tail design which still allows the light to tail stand.

The twisty head is very smooth and easy to use one handed (although I suspect the shorter D25C might make it slightly harder to hold).

I do admit I'm not fully convinced on the twisty design though, I think this is mostly as it always switches on in the lowest mode. The D25LC2 has 4 modes, so I find every time I use it I have to turn the head 3 times to get to the mode I want to use.

But that is my only gripe with it. Oh and the holster, it looks and feels lovely and holds the light well, but it's flippin huge!! And for me adds way to much bulk to what is a compact flashlight.

Subjectively I'd give it a solid 9 - 9.5 out of 10 though.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are youtube videos with the clicky version

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just one quick comment - if you want to get Titanium version you should hurry up. I was looking for Titanium D25C with U2 LED and the official information is (confirmed by 2 authorized resellers) that they are sold out and are no longer manufactured (you can still get one if some reseller has them in stock). The rest of Titanium D series is also selling out. This information caused me to buy all 4 versions of Titanium EagleTac Flashlights just in case (D25AM Ti and D25CM Ti with XP-G S2 and XM-L U2 LEDs).

T45

Enlightened
whadda ya know?

If you can read this, CPF is up and running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now That's a funny signature. Funny cuz it's true......

belomeclone

Enlightened
there are youtube videos with the clicky version

I have never heard of a clicky version. There's a giant gap at the bottom perfect for a clickie, but I have never heard or seen one. I've only found three videos total.

belomeclone

Enlightened
do youtube search on term < EagleTac D Series Clicky Introduction >
1 hit

Interesting video. But the link on the video says to go to their website, and there's no information on the light and I don't think it's for sale.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand, the new D25 lights that are going to have a tail cap switch won't be available for about 2 months.