What can be done to a SF M3?

jgang

Newly Enlightened
If a fellow had a stock SF M3 combat light and wanted it modded to produce 1000 lumens, what would it take and who could do it if it's even possible? I know I could go with a T40CS or Cat V3 or M3x, but I like the M3 form factor.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
The M3 is a great light. You have a few options that I know of.

1. Get an LED tower for the M3 Head. This will be much less than 1,000 Lumens, like 250-300. (Malkoff and kuku427 make them.)
2. Disassemble the M3 bezel and install a D36 module. (Nailbender makes them. I'm not sure that he has drivers that run 9v, so you'll need to make sure that you can run an appropriate voltage.)
3. Get an M-Series Turbo Head from Lumens Factory.

If you have an M3T, there are some other options, like a higher output tower (Malkoff MD-60) or some very high output incan bulbs.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumensfactory M series led head is great, I love mine, and use it regularly.

You could also contact Milkyspit - he can rip the reflector out of your M3, build a custom heat sink, install a led driver, and a number of LEDs with reflectors.
Probably the only way to get 1000 lumens from a M3 body and head

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I got a 9v D36 dropin from Nailbender recently too... The downside (to some) is that it is 2.8a max, so you won't get 1000 lumens... But I did build a great 4000k 3 mode XML thrower out of an M3 based host with it! Installation was also a little tricky, but worth the trouble in the end.

jgang

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Norm...should've done that in the first place.

I have one of Dave's SST drop-ins....I didn't realize he was doing something that would fit the M3...I'll give him a shout.

Latest posts