powering a Quark AA

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the answers, I have an AW 14500 on the way. I also have eneloops I use in my flash units.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use both as the situation warrants. Unless your run-time needs are high, I use a 14500 for EDC because of the output boost it gives, and I don't need long run times for my EDC light. But for when I'm camping, caving, etc. I use L91's as they're lighter (I'm a weight-weenie that way) and give about 30% more run-time than an eneloop. Otherwise, eneloops are the best choice.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use both as the situation warrants. Unless your run-time needs are high, I use a 14500 for EDC because of the output boost it gives, and I don't need long run times for my EDC light. But for when I'm camping, caving, etc. I use L91's as they're lighter (I'm a weight-weenie that way) and give about 30% more run-time than an eneloop. Otherwise, eneloops are the best choice.
+ 1

couldnt have given better advice/examples. way to go.

pinetree89

Enlightened
On my Quark AA Tac, I usually carry a 14500 in it as I use the high (not max) setting the most. This provides close to 3 hours runtime. With the lower voltage of the eneloop, High draws a bit less than 2 Amps, which makes it good for about an hour, so the runtime advantage goes to the 14500 on high.

However, if you're going to be using the Medium, Low, and Moon settings the most I suspect the higher internal resistance of the eneloop as compared to the 14500 will offer better run times.

pinetree89

Enlightened
Would it matter since the are both in current regulation?

Yes with both cells they are current regulated, however the current regulation is applied to the emitter, not the cells, i.e it's not a fixed current drawn from the cells, it's a fixed current supplied to the emitter. The higher voltage (3.7v) of the 14500 on High setting yields about 250mA drawn. To do the same work with the lower voltage of the Eneloop (1.2v) 2 Amps is drawn.

Zencyl

Newly Enlightened
Does the 14500 double the output on the AA2 also or just the single AA version?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I guess I'm quite the opposite of most people here. I love my Quark because it is one of the few lights with really good low low modes and I probably average around 3 lumens - time split mostly between moonlight and 4 lumens. I guess I really like using, and preserving, my night vision. Also, I happen to be AA-based for most of my other portable electronics and want to be able to cannibalize batts to and from my flashlight. So... Eneloops it is... for everything.

Does the 14500 double the output on the AA2 also or just the single AA version?
Can't use 2x li-ion in the AA^2 Quark.... it has the low voltage head 0.9-4.2V.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank's for all the explanations

What exactly is an L91 ?

On another note, How good are RCR 123's (AW) in the Quark Tactical XML-T6 and the Turbo XPG-R5 ?

Last edited:

edpmis02

Enlightened
Titanium Innovations CR14505 CRAA 3V Lithium AA Sized Battery. (CR123A in a AA package) $1.50 each. I use one in my quark AA Mini.