Ever lost your EDC?

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I feel sick. I lost my baby! For two years and two countries I have carried my Jetbeam Pro 1 V3 with a beautiful neutral beam and an OP reflector. It has saved me from beatings and done all that I could ever ask of a light. I put it in the pocket of some new scrubs today and it did not fit quite right but I figured it would be just fine. I was wrong and now its gone. All those thoughts of what I could have or should have done but didn't do. It was a gift from my wife who could not understand the price and fascination I had for the light but loves me and indulged me. She is irked at me but does not get the sense of loss that I feel.

Help me through my grieving and tell me your stories of lights loved and lost.

buds224

Enlightened
I lost a Fenix TA21 and it was the one light that did it all for me. Had it for a year or so, and I can totally understand your feelings. I had it clipped to my belt, unsheathed, and not being used to dismounting myself from a right-side-drive car (I am new to Japan), it must have fallen off my belt and onto the parking lot at a local park. I hadn't realized it until after we left, I did a quick check at the parking lot, not 5 minutes after we left, and it was gone.

I had the same thoughts of what I could've done; should have clipped it on the inside of my pocket, use the nite-ize sheath I purchased for it, or even listening for it to hit the ground. Some lucky ******* is enjoying it now I'm sure. The only way I got over it was upgrading myself to a Klarus XT11. Until I received it, it pained me to think about my lost buddy (incidentally purchased 3 more lights with it).

Yours is unique, in the fact that it was a gift, so I can't help you there. Look for something with the same form factor and better specs is probably the only thing that will help. All my lights are sheathed to my belt now. No losing lights again ***fingers crossed***.

Feels better to share the story too, and know that you're not alone. :)

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I have never lost an edc because I attach a lanyard to it then clip it to my belt loop using a niteize s clip. Still quick to access and will never be lost even when rock climbing. Sorry for your lost light. Attach it to somthing next time :)

budynabuick

Enlightened
I feel sick. I lost my baby! For two years and two countries I have carried my Jetbeam Pro 1 V3 with a beautiful neutral beam and an OP reflector. It has saved me from beatings and done all that I could ever ask of a light. I put it in the pocket of some new scrubs today and it did not fit quite right but I figured it would be just fine. I was wrong and now its gone. All those thoughts of what I could have or should have done but didn't do. It was a gift from my wife who could not understand the price and fascination I had for the light but loves me and indulged me. She is irked at me but does not get the sense of loss that I feel.

Help me through my grieving and tell me your stories of lights loved and lost.

man, that sucks. Never lost one but i can sure understand. That's why i neck carry a aaa around my neck cause i KNOW it would be a matter of time before i would lose one. Moment of silence.

Keith who feels your pain:awman:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I nevef lost an EDC, but I often think I did and I know how it feels. I recently lost my perfectly accurate ~20 year old tire gauge and can't find another one like it. It makes me sick like nothing else - actually, mad would be the word of choice. As a vengeance I might go buy a Snap-On gauge that will cost double what my old one cost. Dammit, gotta spend another 7.60$!

T45

Enlightened
My old worn EDC knife is a CRKT Ryan Model 7. I have lost and found this knife a number of times over the years. The last time I lost it, I thought it was gone for good. Days later I was cleaning up a mess in the living room and found it wedged in the love seat cushions.

"....does not get the sense of loss that I feel." I would really hate to lose any of my favorite EDC gear.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Thanks guys! It helps, the stories and suggestions are good for the soul. From the years that I worked as a white water river guide I have developed an irrational fear of lanyards. I know that there are safety versions available but the aversion is no longer rational- I'm rarely on the water to begin with, but thanks I know you are right. T45 I keep searching and re-tracing my steps hoping to find my little buddy.

Thanks guys

Keyman1

Newly Enlightened
The stories are to painful to go thru again.
But, just let me say I had the first light for years before losing it.
2- Novatac 120P gone.
The first and then its replacement!:(

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never lost a light out of a pocket, have misplaced them though.
I have lost two clip-inside-pocket folding knives over the years. Watch out for loose knits like sweaters, they are bad about grabbing it by the clip and pulling it right out of your pocket! Seatbelts and those stretchy cords at the waists of windbreakers can be bad too.

-As for rational and irrational fears, I don't wear rings or necklaces, de-gloving dude. Search "degloving injury" on google images if you don't have a delicate stomach. Sometimes I hate being made out of meat.

Last edited:

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
There is no pleasant treatment for the de-gloving either, the finger is usually a loss. To avoid a de-gloving, I used to caribiner my wedding band to the side/waist of my PFD until one day I lost my footing going down the Tunnel Chute on the Middle Fork of the American river and couldn't get up to straighten my raft to face a pair of standing waves at the end of the Chute. The raft was turning sideways and if not corrected would flip trapping me beneath the overturned raft. In a split second I was somehow able to identify the caribiner and unclip it from the throw bag in the back left of the raft and get up to place a very hard and fast pry stroke and straighten the raft out and hit the wave at the correct angle to line up for the next wave. I have no idea how I moved so fast but the next day that I had off I bought locking caribiners and I would lock my ring and other caribiners with the gates facing the inside of the PFD. I was always so scared of drowning and I had been down to the "green room" beneath the pool at the bottom of the Chute so I knew it was very possible and I was very motivated but still I'm surprised at how fast I moved. I forgot all about that until I read your post about de-gloving. After the run a client said he thought that the chute was over rated. That our run was so smooth without even touching any walls that he didn't see the reason for all the hubbub. Then he asked me why I chanted, "Oh momma, oh momma!" while descending the chute. I had no idea that I did that and told him that I had no idea. I suggested that it's probably because I was afraid I might make a mistake and drown myself or my crew. He thought I was just being sarcastic. I would not even ask the name of my crew until after that rapid- 'cus I didn't care until we made it through the Chute. That's like 12 years ago. Good times, thanks for the reminder eh4.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Lost my E1b on my way to work in a snowstorm. This was last year. I think, basically, I got out of my car, it was on my lap, when I got out it fell on the ground. Then most likely a plow came by and plowed it into a snowbank. I bought another one the next day. It was very upsetting. But, I got over it. I have a spreadsheet of all of my lights purchased and sold. It is the only lost light, it is red. Sold ones are green. Ones I own are black. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Oh well. you'll get over it.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I went back many a time. It was where I worked. Only problem was it was a huge parking lot, tons of snow, and about a hundred snow banks. I was going to buy a new one from spider tactical but found one used on the MP for $85. I went to cancel my order from there and Victoria, the woman at Spidertactical, asked me why I cancelled. I told her I was buying a used one from the MP. She offered to sell me a brand new one for $85. I have since ordered all of my Surefire gear from them. The 20% discount is nice too. What customer service right?

I have a huge spreadsheet. All lights, emitters, batteries, runtimes, paid amounts, sold amounts, + or - on each light. I feel like it helps keep me in check. Or it just makes me realize that in the past year I've spent 1/8 of my income on lights. At least I've gotten half of it back by selling the ones I didn't use. Oh well.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Only because I give them away to my friends. :) PD20, Eagletac, Maratac, D10s, and Quark minis. I've yet to actually lose one by misplacing it.

awenta

Enlightened
I very sadly lost my E2DL a few months ago at a quarry. It's still missed. Bought an LX2 to replace it recently, but my days of carrying $200+ lights to the job site are over.

Anybody want to gift me an E2DL to fill that void? :whistle:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Last year I lost my Muyshondt HA Natural Aeon in a sandstorm. Luckily, I had a spare in the safe. Still, no fun. I always think it was found by someone and, wound up in their kitchen junk drawer once the battery died. It is actually worse that somebody could find it and, not know what they found was unique, then cast it aside to never be used. I at least hope someone is using it.

Plumber guy

Newly Enlightened
Four weeks ago I was working a job at a customers house and at some point I lost my Fenix Pd30. Two weeks later I was at the same customers house and asked them if they had seen a small black flashlight. The lady of the house looked down and said "I don't know let me call my husband." She called her husband and then told me she had it. Two hours later she finally handed me the light and asked me a question.

She asked if the company I worked for bought the flashlight, as she handed it to me.

I sternly told her NO and that I bought it with the money I EARN working this job. This is not the first time I have had customer take my equipment and tools. They feel as they can keep things because they paid for their bill.

When I returned to the office I let the owner know about her and her husband who happens to be a chief financial officer of a company.

They were sent a letter to not call upon us for work anymore. :wave:

So maybe you lost it like I thought I did or maybe someone took it.