What are your light (carry/use) and battery habits?

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
Mods - please feel free to move this thread, I chose LED Flashlights since that's all I live and breathe.

I'm just curious as to what kind of habits CPF'ers have with respect to their lights and batteries? How do you manage/organize your collection on a daily basis, and which lights do you like to use for what? Do you tend to stick to one light at a time, or do you swap them out regularly? How do you manage your batteries, whether you use primaries or rechargeable? Or do you even care?

For instance:

I EDC a Fenix LD01 - it goes with me 100% of the time (unless at home with my other lights handy)

When at home, I tend to swap out my LD01 for my LD10 which hangs with me all evening and in early mornings (and middle of the night). My LD10 is about to be replaced with a Quark AA Regular (today I hope!) and the LD10 is going to start living in my work bag.

At my bedside I keep my TK15 ready to roll on Turbo for anything that goes bump in the night. LD10, as mentioned above, hangs out there too at night for the occasional trip to the bathroom and when I wake up in the AM.

The same Tk15 comes with my on all hunting trips and becomes my spotlight.

In my car, I keep a PD30 for roadside emergency or to carry with me if I have to park in a not-so-great area.

My closet is the home base for all my lights and batteries. Hanging out in there is my Maglite XL50 (rarely used), a PD20 and LD20. These get used for dogs walks at night and come along on all hunting trips. I occasionally use them around the house as I see fit.

My batteries -

Just bought AA and AAA Eneloops which I'm starting to use in all their respective lights. I was using Energizer lithiums before. The same type lithiums are now becoming my backup batteries which I keep in plastic reusable four-packs that I picked up on Amazon. These live in my glove compartment, work bag and closet.

I just bought a 40 pack of Tenergy CR123 primaries which live in the closet too. From my Fenix headband I keep two CR123's stored in the watertight battery container, but that stays in my glove compartment just for my PD30 along with other back up batteries.

I just got my eneloops, so I can't really comment on my recharging habits yet (still on initial charges).

What about you guys?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy atxlight, and welcome to CPF,
Unlike a lot of folks here, I don't collect lights. I'll buy a light and if it doesn't get used I'll sell it and find something else that fits my needs better, so, I mostly use the lights all the time.

I have the Fenix LD01 SS on my keyring, and while it's the least used light I have, it's an excellent backup light which gives me 3 runtime/brightness options. I keep a AAA eneloop in it and charge it every 6 months if it hasn't been used much.

My main EDC is a Zebralight SC600, which stays in my pocket day and night and gets used every night on my job as a chauffeur. I typically charge and rotate my two 18650 cells once a week.

My backup EDC is a NovaTac 120P, which also serves as my bedside and nightly trip to the bathroom light. I charge and rotate my two RCR123 cells about once a month.

I bicycle to work, and my bike light is a Fenix LD2 CE. The two AA eneloops are good for about 5 nights, so they get recharged about once week.

My all around general purpose house light is a 3D Maglite customized with an LED and 3 level driver. I just keep Duracell alkaline batteries in it, but check it often to make sure they're still good.

My car light is a Jetbeam BK135A, which as a single AA lithium battery in it.

I also have a cheap, but good, 2D single level flashlight that I use as a loaner, which is very important to have because I don't particularly like loaning out my "good" lights.

It sounds like you've got some fine lights to start with. Have fun!

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
well my keychain light is a Thrunite Ti (AAA Eneloop), my EDC user is a SWM V10R (with a 16340), My headband for nightly Walks Skiing etc.. is a Quark AA with a 18650 Body, and a Quark 123. i only fill two of the headlight slots and keep a two pack of CR123's for backup. and for my hand carry during the walks is a Surefire 6P led. Primaries in the surefire and Quark 123 and rechargables in the others.

in my car's are Coast G25 and a Quark AA both with lithium primaries.

o yea both of my coats have lights as well, Quark CR2, and Quark 123

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi atxlight. I have way more lights than I'll ever need, but, I'm a "flashaholic" so thats a moot point! LOL I like all my lights, so I find myself switching which ones I carry every other week or so. It's fun to "rediscover" a light I haven't messed with for awhile. However, ther's a few that I carry more than the others. I always have a ZL SC600 in a custom made holster on my belt, or a HDS rotary, also in a custom holster. ALWAYS one or the other. I use Li-ion in both, 18650 in the SC600, and RCR123 in my rotary. Just pop 'em out and charge 'em every week or so. I usually have my HDS 170t clipped in my right front pocket also. I have both a 123, and a 17670 battery tube for it. Usually carry it with an AW 17670 in it, and also top that cell off every week or so. Beside my Leatherman Charge, in it's sheath, I carry a Titanium Innovations Illumina Ti CA1, and keep a AAA eneloop in it. Depending on what I'm doing, I might have a Fenix LD01 SS around my neck on a breakaway lanyard, and keep a AAA eneloop in that one also. I have several other lights in AA or AAA format. The ones I don't use as much, I keep Energizer Lithiums in them, in the event I forget about them for a long period of time, I know the batteries will still be good, and they won't have leaked in my light. In the rest of my AA and AAA lights, I use Eneloops, and charge them every few months. Any Eneloops I buy, I run them through a couple "break in" cycles in my Maha C9000 prior to putting them into service. All my Li-ions just get topped off once in awhile. I have several other lights I carry in a Maxpedition Sitka gearslinger back pack, so I have access to them anytime I wanna play with one! Oh, two others that get quite a bit of use are my Quark mini AA Ti, and a ZL H51fw. I feed them both AA eneloops. Like you, I always keep a supply of Energizer lithiums as back ups, and have a nice stock of 123 primaries on reserve also.

varmint

Enlightened
EDC is a Fenix E15 and a SL Microsrteam, every day till bedtime. About 9pm I go out for the nights check on cattle, I take the EDC as well as my Derrelight and or My TN11. I keep a SF G2 with a led dropin in my truck. I do alternate the Derrelight and the TN11 for my primary night light. The TN11 and DL VBS use AW rechargables as to their useage being more, I get a week or more on a charge usually. These lights are used 7 days a week in rain and all weather. Nitestand use is a Fenix EO1 with glowring and Olight M20 on low & Glock 32. Dresser drawer has all flashlight parts,batteries, chargers etc. My lights usually just stay on my dresser as they are used daily....
As I type here I have 2 on me the E15 and the Microstream.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a small stash of cr123 primaries in a Pelican 1020 case and in a Pelican 1010 case I have a Zebralight H31w with a cell installed and 5 spares all nice and neat for emergency usage only.(it's a nice compact "grab and go" set up)

In the center console/change holder of my '07 Magnum I keep a ZL SC30w and a match case with 2 spares along with a Nitecore EZ CR2w on it's keys.

During the day at work I carry either an HDS 140GT/17670, HDS 120E, SWM V10A/HCRI or a Quark AA2/HCRI. They all use rechargeable cells (RCR/17670/Duraloops)
Around the house at night I use an INOVA X5 red(my battery vampire) to kill of my used cells and still have adequate light to navigate.
For my nightly dog walking light I use either my Surefire LX2 on primaries, L1 on RCR or C3 w/Lumens Factory HCRI module on primaries.
All my lights are kept within easy reach and loaded with good cells.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
on lights I keep stored I use lithium primaries AA. AAA, CR123. on keys my Preon revo enjoys sipping off an ultimate AA lithium cell, as a back up on belt my Nightcore EZ AA warm is fed by a lithium ultimate AA. My main belt EDC: My Sunawayman L10A likes my new IMR AW 14500. the newest Shingbeam S Mini on 18650 trustfire or AW. I EDC the EZ AA because it can run on alkaLEAKS if needed. my AAA Preon will also take storebought alks in a pinch. I believe AA is the most common cell out there (last summer on the usa east coast the supply of D cells quickly dried up when the unenlightened masses sought emergency flashlight power.)
At home Quark mini AA is fed a steady diet of Ni MH as is my Zebralight H60 & ITP. Connexion on 14500/low lights up a family photo from a bookshelf.
just ordered a high CRI Quark mini AA due to this outstanding 'domestic performance"!!!

(I love this stuff)

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
I dig the pelican case setup. I have seen a few of those around CPF and they cause me a great deal of envy :). Need to pick one (or two) up for my lights...

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Muyshondt Aeon around my neck all the time, unless I'm swimming or in the shower, it occasionally gets used (normally on low) and has only had one new battery in the year I have had it (and only because I needed a CR2 for my laser pointer, it got the old one and the Aeon got the new one)

I have a Sunwayman V10RTI as my primary EDC, it runs a AW black label RCR which gets changed out or topped off about once a week. I carry a spare primary 123 along with 2x 18500 cells in my edc bag)

I also have a 9P bored and reanodised by Oveready, with a Moddoo neutral triple module
It has a pair of AW 18500 cells, which get topped off once a month, or when I have used the light heavily
(spare cells live in my work bag, with a primary 123 - in a lighthound PET preform)

I use my lights when I need them, I work nights regularly.
Oh, and I take my Maxabeam to work too, it lives in the car though.
I charge it's battery about once a fortnight, or after it has had 15 mins or so of use

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy a light, carry it until I buy a new one, place the old one with the others on a shelf and repeat.

Aside from the duplicates each light serves a purpose. I sometimes revisit them for Lego/modding.

As far as batteries are concerned, I have a stash of primaries and AW cells that I keep charged and ready for action.

I haven't found the prefect EDC yet, I'm close I can feel it.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
Current edc for me is a Ti mini Quark Cr2 and 3 spare batteries, a Ti Quark 123 with an AW rechargeable, a HDS Rotary 200 with an AW, and a Download pocket rocket SST50 with a AW 18650 in it, also carry two 123 primaries and two AW rechargeable batteries as spares.
And this is only my daytime working edc
Almost forgot my Titanium Innovations Illumina Ti keychain torch.

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
EDC is my HDS Rotary with single AW RCR123a that gets recharged once a week. When at home my new "go to" light is a DarkSucks alpha with AW 18650-2900 that also gets charged once a week (Saturday morning). My car emergency light is a Foursevens 123Mini with lithium primary on a lanyard (warm XP-G). My big-honkin-holy-crap-the-power-is-out light is a TK-45 with 8 AA Eneloops. Nothing on my keychain these days but a Preon-0 may be in the works (lithium primary likely).

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm liking carrying an H51fc Zebralight clipped in my front pocket. I used to like to carry a minimag in my back pocket and now that the Malkoff AA Little Twisty came in I'm back to that.
I might even carry both at the same time in the future but one or the other will probably be in a tool bag.
Either way, 1 or 2 spare AAs goes in the watch pocket of my jeans.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC in a belt holster or two; in front is a Surefire G2Z with 6P head, the most rip-roaring powerful single level dropin I can find, and AW IMRs that don't get charged or checked that often (though that was mostly an issue when that dropin was a P91 and I didn't want to pop a $35 bulb with hot-off-the-charger cells). Its holster is a Wilson Combat 6Z holster, bezel down, used and pre-beat-up. (I patched its big snag up with superglue, and hid the repair with black leather dye)

Behind that in a Surefire V82 quick-detach holster and wearing a Surefire F04 filter is a Ra Twisty TR-85 running on primaries. Considering that the 6Z runs for ten or twenty minutes before killing its batteries, the Ra is for whenever I need less light or more time. Sadly, the F04 is loose enough to fall off with a slight downward angle now, and the FM54 is discontinued... though I'd be hesitant to risk gouging up or scratching up a vintage Ra still in great shape. Primary gets swapped out at first step-down event.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
I'm new at this and only have 8 lights so far. It's strictly a hobby as I don't need them for work of any kind. Just ordered a zebra sc600 as an EDC. I go out walking my dog at night and take my Tiny Monster with freshly charged 18650's. I carry my JetBeam RRT-3 in my pocket just in case. Tonight just fooling around I picked up my Fenix TK 35. Wow, that's an awesome light. I also have a small Shiningbeam that I keep on my night table and a surefire L2. I keep a couple of smaller surefire in my case I take to work as I walk back through dark streets and a dark parking lot to my car.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps from a different viewpoint with a focus on the types of batteries and # of cells. LEDs come and go, but a battery usage philosophy is developed over time. In my case, I learned to avoid long lights with 2+ cells end-to-end. Too many problems figuring out how to carry them in pants or jacket pockets. I refuse to use a holster for a light...

Usage: I normally EDC a small 1xAAA on my keychain _and_ a 1xAA format light in a jacket vest pocket, with either a Lithium or NiMH LSD cell installed. When away from the house I often include a 1x 18650 light in a jacket pocket to ensure reasonable run-time. Reasonable run time for me is 1-1/2 to 2 hours on high. Otherwise for reaching out and touching some noise in the backyard woods, such as racoons arguing in the trees, I have a 2x18650 and 3x18650 light available with up to 700-800 lumens, both with cells side-by-side to reduce the length. Virtually any time the IR security lights turn on, I wake up and check it out. Otherwise a common "high" output for me from the Lithium-something cells is 200-300 lumens. I rarely use the lowest setting on any light. I also require that my lights are able to tail-stand. Ceiling bounce is a very useful area lighting technique. For 2-handed work, I have a single-cell headband light (ZL).

Cell sizes: I restrict my shrinking suite of lights to single-cell lights in RCR123, 10440, 14500 or 18650 formats. For example, I own only one light in 1xRCR123 format, but several in the 10440 and 14500 formats. Unfortunately lights that use RCR123, 10440, or 14500 cells usually operate only 25 min or less on high when using the Lithium-something cells. Hence I tend to use them only around the house.

Cell types: For the small lights in RCR123, 10440/AAA or 14500/AA sizes, I use mostly AW ICR cells for the XPG lights and IMR cells for the XML lights. The output from XML LEDs is remarkably brighter when an IMR cell is used. The current draw from an XML LED from an IMR cell is much higher than from an ICR cell (ie:2.4A vs 1.7A). Otherwise for 18650 lights, I use AW ICR cells. I tried other brands of cells, but there was too much variation in size and capacity - regardless of what was printed on the wrap.

Charging: I run down several RCR123 or 14500 cells every day. I place the cells on charge immediately after use (dimming or cutoff). What is an example usage? Cleaning cat litter from 3 cats (not by my choice) off the basement floor hallway and steps is the primary usage. I lay the light set on a high output beam on the tile floor to see the litter particles "glow" and use a "dust buster" to pick up those particles. That activity also runs down two relatively new dust-busters every day. My 18650 lights are used much less and the cells are rotated once a week to be charged. I am slowly downsizing too many cells to maintain only one replacement set. Every few months, I check the run-time on the 10440/14500/RCR123 cells and recycle the weak ones.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me i bring along several lights. and backup lights. In my pocket sits the Quark AA Tac w/14500 cell programmed at Turbo and moonlight respectively. This is my go-to light. I usually carry several 14500's in my bag as having a bright, small light makes a very good EDC. As a backup to this light, I have the Sunwayman V10A inside my bag. I dont like keeping this in my pocket because i dont want it scratched or dinged should it fall from my pocket. The Quark has been through quite a few bumps, but it is 100% working and still water-tight albeight several scrapes and dents.

Then for throw, I always bring along my Jetbeam BC25, now its not as throwy as the big boys, but this little wonder throws just right. I carry some RCR123's and 18650's for this baby. As a backup to this, I carry the ol' Lumintop L1C, which is in fact, one of the smallest pocket throwers in the market. Maybe not like Javelin with C2H body, but almost as good.

Lastly, for good measure, i have the iTP A3 Upgraded with a 10440 cell as the final backup light among the other four i EDC. :)

I have bigger lights, but those stay home in case of emergencies.

As for batteries, if I have to use regular batteries, i use only Eneloops. Only in emergencies would i ever consider using Alkalines. Then for the Lithium Ion's (18650, RCR123, 14500) I make sure to check their voltages every two weeks, more often if i use the light regularly.

Since i have battery backups that i carry, i see to it to rotate them so all the cells get used. The discharge/recharge cycles ensure that all my batteries are in tip-top shape! As I write this, my 14500's used up during that week are being charged for another week's (or two) use.

IMHO, it is best to have two kinds of light, one for flood, and one for throw, because depending on its application, you would make use of one or the other. It's hard to use a thrower for up close work as the bright and tight hotspot is painful to the eyes even if the light is on low settings, unlike a floody, even beam which is on low.

Boils down to how you intend to use your light, from there you can decide which lights to carry, which ones to use as backups only and what cells to lug around with you.

Oh yeah, to add to my emergency prepareness kit, I recently purchased a 18650,14500, etc Lithium Ion Charger with a USB port for charging devices that charge using a USB port. It has a 5-volt 1 amp output to fast charge devices.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
My EDC most days:

On my keys I have a Ti. AAA Photonfanatic with an eneloop
in my watch pocket I have a Ti Quark CR2 Mini
RF pocket is my XPG Custom McGizmo Haiku
LF pocket is a Muyshondt HA III Aeon with a McGizmo clip.
RR pocket is my Custom Red LED McGizmo Sun Drop "Setting Sun Drop," or a Red LED Surefire L1 or my Custom McGizmo Red Haiku
LR pocket is a Custom McGizmo Ti. Clicky Pack with a Ti VME Head, and a Malkoff M31 (This will be replaced by my new Surefire Fury)
Around my neck is a Photonfanatic La Petite Killer

###

Variations:

On some days I leave the XPG Haiku, and take my HDS Clicky, or a Malkoff MD2 in orange, or a Surefire Kroma, Surefire U2, a Surefire LX2, Surefire Back up, Surefire E2DL, and as of today...a Surefire FURY, or one of any number of lights just for a change.

Favorite Brand: Surefire is my favorite production brand overall and always has been. I just love them.

Other Production brands: I have and like are: 4Sevens, Zebra, Icon, original Photon Micro-Lights, Inova, PAL Lights, Pelican, and MAG. I still have two D Cell MAG lights from 1982, and some old Mini MAG lights all with LED drop-ins.

Inova has some new fun lights. They have a small LED in red with a clip, and I mark our lighting on sets with these, so people do not bump our big soft boxes, and I mark our cases with them backstage or other areas I want our things noticed - works great.

For Customs: I like McGizmo, Photonfanatic, Muyshondt, Malkoff and HDS (I consider HDS custom)
I am looking to order my first Dark Sucks - Jason is an up and coming maker and his attention to detail is amazing.

In My Camera Bags, and location flight cases I have quite a few Surefire's, and even use them to light things on occasion.

Company Truck and Personal Truck: My truck has yet more Surefire's, and a Pelican case with an emergency flashlight system of several different lights that do different things - all of them Surefire.

Nightstand: Surefire M6 (Soon to be M6LT) Kroma (Set to Red -low to check any suspicious feline activity, and an L1

Bathrooms in Homes: This changes frequently, however I do keep quality lights mostly for our guests.

Den: Icon again - for style.

Kitchen: Icon Lights - because they look so cool.

Production Office: Trust me I have Surefire lights there...

My Private Office: Vintage lights, and what I have on me.

Protection Detail: Use SF weapon lights, and I am the detail.

Wife and Daughter Issue lights: Surefire E2Dl's soon to be upgraded to Surefire Fury's. They both have PAL Lights, Arc AAA's, and UV Photons.

My Doctor: Ti Aeon for the kind of car he has needs a cool light.

Auto Mechanic: Overflow of my Surefires and he is also my dear friend of 32 years.

My Assistant Photographers and Grips: Surefire lights of their choice.

Our Private Jet: Wait...we can't afford that and don't have one. I could if it was not for all this flashlight...well, never mind... But if I did...SF Aviators would be my choice.

Gardner's: SF G2X in Yellow for safety along with matching Spyderco H1 Yellow Hawk bill Salt knives, and Leatherman Waves - all in a pocket pouch. Real nice combination

General Counsel: They get Surefire L1's or LX2's

Friends in LE: I keep my friends in Law Enforcement updated with new lights from time to time, and for all promotions they get Surefire's and Custom Emerson's. (For the ones who really like knives).

Friends Serving in The US Military: Same as for LE

My Hair Dresser: HAIII Aeon. She does my hair, and is part of my crew as my M/U artist and final hair on set.

For Batteries: I use primary Surefire CR123s and primary lithium's or AA/AAA eneloops - no other rechargeable's. I have so many things that need charging that there is no other option for, when it comes to flashlights, I just use primaries. I carry them in SF Spare carriers, small pelican cases with foam cutouts and sometimes just the box they come in.

That's it...I think, and that is enough!

To end I will say my favorite light of all time is the SF L1. Also, all of this is just so much fun. Also, I like to give lights away, that is fun too, and many people need a lift these days.

Best wishes, and good luck,

NR/Redled​

Last edited: