TerraLUX MiniStar31 M-EX LED type?

NigelU211

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what kind of LED is used in the TerraLUX MiniStar31 M-EX?

Also, has anyone posted a review of this light?

I wonder how it compares to something like a Fenix TK35?

Thanks,

NigelU211

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping for a quick answer from someone...
After some reading I guess since the new terraLUX MAG charger version is using the XPG LED this probably is to.
Anyone have any idea what will happen if you put this behind an aspherical lens?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Apologies, I didn't see your post from the 26th, or I would have answered. This forum moves fast, and I generally only have time to check the first page of posts.

As you have surmised, the MagD version does indeed use the same LEDs as MagCharger version - XP-Gs.

I have no experience of using aspheric lenses unfortunately, and so cannot comment on that part of your question.

Icbones

Newly Enlightened
I wish I saw these before I ordered the Malkoff ML drop-ins. I know theMiniStar31 M-EX is designed for the 4-6D ML, but on the terralux website they recommend Titaniun inovation 3AA-D conversion kits. These produce 4.5V. I wonder if 3 Li Ion 33600's would be OK? I have also changed my 3-D ML to 4C by inserting a ~9" section of 1" split loom down the maglight tube and this gives a good fit for the C cells. As I found out on this forum, reversing the spring in the original ML tail cap will deal with the longer length of the 4 C cells compared to the 3 D cells. I have the Malkoff glass breaking tail cap, so originally I just sanded off some of the paint and inserted a penny. I later switched to 1 disc magnet, I don't lose it now when I open it up. Anyone order the MiniStar31 M-EX yet?

Last edited:

madcat816

Newly Enlightened
I'm not one for reviews but since I have this module figured I could give some input. In short, bought the battery junction kit w/ charger, battery and lamp designed for 3D Maglite (not the LED version). Had some trouble with the first older 3D I dropped it in, but picked up a new one and seems fine now. Modes can be single max or 3-mode by switching the button on the unit itself.

The best way I can describe the light is a mid-range beast. It CAN throw a bit but isn't meant for that it seems. At short to mid range this thing lights up everything. Run time about 1.5 hrs on max and starts dimming gradually. Tint of the light is warm white without any blue to it. I use it for car stops at works and is great so far!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what kind of LED is used in the TerraLUX MiniStar31 M-EX?

Also, has anyone posted a review of this light?

I wonder how it compares to something like a Fenix TK35?

Thanks,

cree xp-g

tk35 uses xm-l, 1 xm-l has similar output as 3 xp-g,

Last edited: