Red & White LED lights??

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they any other handheld lights, besides the Surefire A2, that switch between a white light(LED or bulb) and a red light(LED or bulb)?? My boss is looking for a light, but the price of the Surefire A2 has him looking else where for the moment.
I showed him my Inova X5(white LED's), but he likes the idea of the Surefire better. Too bad they didn't make an Inova X5 with 1 red LED, and 4 white LED's, with a 2 stage switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks for any help!!

Blades

paulr

Flashaholic
I think one of the Eternalights has that, but I may be confusing it with another light of that ilk.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blades said:
Are they any other handheld lights, besides the Surefire A2, that switch between a white light(LED or bulb) and a red light(LED or bulb)??

[/ QUOTE ]

There is the Rigel Systems SkyLite

02Starlite.JPG

Purpose built for astronomers switchable between white and red LEDs with thumbwheel variable brighness control.

I've seen it priced as low as $25.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Nice light's but I would still prefer my A2. I read a review where it was stated astronomers should use a green light. I couldn't understand why, but it was a nice article:

http://www.corvus.com/kniffen.htm

I used a few Dutch and German and one French searchsites, but couldn't come up with a alternative on this side of the ocean.
But I have to say the A2 is a superb light and unbelievable expensive in Holland but I found it a very nice light to play with. Oh, you can actually also use it for work, camping or things alike, but it is a toy first...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks think that a green light is best for preserving natural night vision. This is blatently incorrect. The rods of the eye (the night vision part) are blind - completely blind - to red light below a certain frequency. Since the rods cannot "see" the light, their ability to see dim light is not diminished. Green light at any level will bleach the rhodopsin in the rods, thereby compromising night vision to some degree.

The article mentioned completely discounts the fact that the rods are blind to red light below a certain frequency (generally, red LEDs are below this frequency) and that the red cones (only) are used to see deep red light which therefore has no effect on night vision. Since the rods are blind to red light, it's intensity has no effect at all on the rods and preservation of night vision. Red light must, however, be used at relatively dim levels to prevent afterimages from forming on the retina due to bleaching of the pigment in the red cones. These afterimages will overlap the rods's field of vision and result in a diminished ability to see in general.

How about an Inova 24/7? Red and white LEDs and a bunch of strobe features.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you mean the Twin Task, it would be terrible because it has no way to turn the LED's on and off without cycling through the xenon beam and destroying your night vision.

The Rigel light looks nice, but is huge. I'd say your best bet is two separate lights, a red Arc AAA or CMG Infinity, and your favorite white light.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replys!! I'll pass them on, and let ya know what he decides.

Blades

cmendoza

Enlightened
Technical Associates had a deal of 2 Derringers for $30 under Manufacturers Anouncements. Sounds like a great deal but I don't know if it's still going on.

pkkrusty

Newly Enlightened
Walmart sells a red and white LED light (it also has an incandescent). It costs $13, has one white LED and two red LEDs. The throw on both white and red is quite wide, but as bright as can be expected from one/two LEDs. I've had one for about a year and have been very happy with it. 3 AAAs. Walmart also recently started selling a off-brand camo-colored clip on LED light with 3 LEDs. It costs $7 and comes in white or red. Again, brightness is consistent with 3 LED lights, uses 3 AAA, but the throw is much longer since it has a narrower beam.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cmendoza said:
Technical Associates had a deal of 2 Derringers for $30 under Manufacturers Anouncements. Sounds like a great deal but I don't know if it's still going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Picture and details on the Derringer here. It's really quite small in size, and the switching may not be every user's cup of tea.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The Rigel light looks nice, but is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes....
the photo was huge wasn't it?

Is this better?
SkyliteInHand_small.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my boss ended up buying 2 flashlights in the last week.
An A2 Aviator(with red LED's) and a 3 "C" cell Streamlight TwinTask. Then he brings them to work and shines them at me, to rub it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades