help finding sst 90 driver

burro breath

Newly Enlightened
so i have built an xml 900 lumen 2d maglite and love it but i want more throw and brightness. first thing that comes to mind is the sst 90. i just am having a problem finding a pwm board that will handle 9 amps. i plan on buying a heatsink from a cpf member if i can find someone willing to sell me one. normally id make one at the cnc shop i work at but im away at college and dont have any machines to do it on here at school. so basically im looking for a multimode driver that is pwm at 9 amps that will fit in a d mag as well as a heatsink for an sst 90 and id love a reflector that makes a beam not flood. i do like the stock led maglite reflectors throw but dont like how it is also a outer flood as well. and i dont like the square beam a aspherical lens will give me. i know this sounds very picky sorry for that. i just know what i want thats all. please any help would be great and if my goals are unrealistic feel free to say so.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is kinda.
i never seen pwd 9a driver, but you can get der witchel driver, it can be dimmed using external pot. other than that, there is dx 6500ma driver 5 modes, but quality is noy on par with DW driver.
reflector, deep mag reflector, is pbly as good as it gets for mag, short of new head, you wont get pencil thin beam, sst90 has large die, you'd need bigger reflector for that, someone used FM 2,5' throwmaster with sst90, looked good. dx sells 73mm reflector made for sst90, but it wont fit in magliteunless you turn new head on lathe.
now the most important, heatsinking, mag isn't the best host, unless you use large chunk of copper, and solder led directly to it, with no star, star is extra heat resistance point, avoid it, solder is better than glue, thermal glue isn't reliable at full power of sst90, there were reports of leds falling off, google lambda lights, varapower, to see sst90 mag mods, he also builds his own driver, it s dimmable, but not pwm, it runs off 4 nimh d cells.

burro breath

Newly Enlightened
So nobody makes a pwm driver..wow. would I be better off going with a 3 XML build? Can I get any throw with 3xml?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was gonna suggest 3xm-l, but you ask about sst90, so i didn't say,
3\xm-l in mag head will have small reflectors, while you wont get focused narrow beam, you will get so much flood, it will outflood some throwers, i have 3xm-l, love it, it illuminates everything around and ahead, never missed focused beam when i use 3xm-l, or 3p7 lights, you can illuminate entire football field, no joke.

never seen pwm driver more than dx's 6500ma, (on paper 6500ma, dx numbers don't usually reflect reality)

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you insist on thrower with that much lummens, hid is your best bet, 35w hid makes around 3000lm+, more lummens than sst90, at about the same wattage (sst90 is 32w iirc), with hid you can get really focused beam.

burro breath

Newly Enlightened
A 3 XML can do a football field. Wow! Can you post some links to a build and parts I can get. Like drivers heatsinks driver and reflectors

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
An expensive solution that also requires moderately complicated wiring, but you could use three Shark Buck 3A drivers in parallel. The master is a Shark Buck with Remora PWM controller, while the other two are plain Shark Bucks.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
der witchel kit includes heat sink, reflectors leds on triple star made especially for the kit, and driver.

not cheap, but if you add up cost of all components bought elsewhere it wont be much different, but his kit is top notch, read the thread i linked, you'll see what ppl say abvout the kit.

Last edited: