What LED flashlight(s) have the MOST annoying strobe mode?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so for my job I do deal with a lot of drunk people, and while I haven't encountered anyone acting belligerent towards me, I know one day it'll happen. So that being said, what LED flashlights have the most annoying strobe modes?

I think I read that Armytek's and/or HDS's strobe modes are really annoying, is that true?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS Rotary will make my head hurt, but I'm 44, so a lot of strobing lights can be annoying. The few times I have played with it, the people on the receiving end did not care for it.

Imon

Enlightened
I think when it comes to fast/tactical strobe there's no sure thing. I've seen a lot of strobe myself and haven't met one that is annoying/disorienting to the point of it being more useful than a constant on.
Just my opinion - there is no shortage of opinion about the usefulness of strobe but my general view is that it's a gimmick.

That said, check out the strobe on some of Streamlights flashlights. Some of my buddies have told me that my PT2L has the most annoying strobe.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its easiest to disorient drunks at least. Don't go for the most annoying though, as that can CAUSE belligerence. A drunk might just yell to turn it off, and if you don't, he might try to turn it off for you. Go for disorienting rather than annoying. You want them confused/unsure of the surroundings, and unable to concoct an escape plan...and more likely to just give up.

Yelling at them to do something they CAN DO under the circumstances (No compound sentences, etc...), while strobing, can overwhelm their ability to think on their own, and tends to get them to follow orders.

As soon as they are complying/under control...turn it off before they start to feel like you're sadistic/resent their decision.

:D

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
To me strobes with a varying frequency seem more disorienting. The only lights I have that do this are both LiteFluxes. Is that what's called tactical strobe?

Geoff

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I think slightly slower ones like on the Quarks works better a lot are really fast and don't seem to turn off all the way between flashes. Also varying frequency ones are annoying but again there are a lot of different ones.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK35 also has this varied frequency strobe. If you have 800+ lumens flashing in your eyes, it can be quite disorienting. I've pissed off people this way! hahha

ico

Enlightened
I think slightly slower ones like on the Quarks works better a lot are really fast and don't seem to turn off all the way between flashes. Also varying frequency ones are annoying but again there are a lot of different ones.

+1

Quark's strobe is a little bit slower than the HDS and it seems that the strobe from quark is more effective. HDS' is fast enough for it to be not annoying as the quark

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

Quark's strobe is a little bit slower than the HDS and it seems that the strobe from quark is more effective. HDS' is fast enough for it to be not annoying as the quark

After you mentioned it, i took out my Quark Tac and programmed it to Strobe... yup, i get what you mean, the slow strobe IS annoying. haha...try it guys, enter strobe then let it strobe your hand and try and look at it.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix TK35 has the most disorienting strobe of the lights I have.
The latest Fenix lights get my vote as well. I find most strobes disorienting, but the strobe on my LD40 and PD32 are a step above that. They're obnoxious and I am so glad they are hidden. :D

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Well sense every one liked my last coment so much il give my advcie on vairing frequency strobs 2. The more the better Klarus likes just go back and forth from to fast to to slow where other lights (TK35 maybe) go between 3 or 4 frequencys randomly and makes them a lot more annoying.

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
The jet beam rrt-0 has a very annoying strobe mode of a high frequency and even more annoying is it is too easy to select it as well! This is the XPG S2 version but maybe if the XML version has it is even worse!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me strobes with a varying frequency seem more disorienting. The only lights I have that do this are both LiteFluxes. Is that what's called tactical strobe?

Geoff
+1. The liteflux random strobe is really nasty stuff. It plays on all the strings. its like a solo, from slo to fast in waves:naughty:
All the drunk bystanders will fall over like fainting goats :devil:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have many lights with strobes. The ones I have or have had are Quarks, HDS, Eagletac, Jetbeam and Surefire, and the most irritating is the one from the Jetbeam RRT-0. Not only is the Jetbeam's strobe bright, it's random strobing patterns is very very irritating and confusing. The least effective one would be the HDS.

jay_rush

Unenlightened
+1 TK35

that strobe gives me a headache when i strobe the ground in front of me, its just crazy.
but it is a bit heavy if your going to be carrying it all day at work.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
My personal fav is the FourSevens Quark 123x3 Turbo X at 450 lumens it hurts, mostly because its slow and very intense. It will make most people sick after just a few seconds, and I have never failed to get a strong reaction. If it is pointed at your face you can NOT open your eyes!!