Lights without reflectors? (47's P0 / McGizmo Sundrop.. are there more?

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
I feel the need for a total flood light with (if possible) no hot spot at all. There are only two I know of, the P0 does not really have the output I require and the sundrop which is a little out of my price range.

Are there any other lights in this category?

I hope 47's make a 1 x rcr123 several hundred lumen version of the P0 with the magnet too.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old all flood zebralight's. Anglehead, but very useful.
I love the flood optic's like the old malkoff m60f or univex has. It has a little more reach than a pure flood like the zebra, but still very floody. Most of the zoom lights also got a nice even flood, but with a more narrow beam.

Last edited:

hook63

Newly Enlightened
Zebra light also have some new ones coming out this year. Not pure flood but sunwayman V series with the xml are great for flood as are probably any small light with a xml.

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jorn, those ZL's are interesting but still not really what i was thinking of (frosted lens) Think i might have to start saving for a sundrop

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not thinking of the frosted lense versions.
Check out zebralight h501w, (h30, h50,) etc. Got a tiny asperic, with perfect all even flood. Really wide flood. Spark also got some pure flood lights like this i think.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
Zebralight's H501 is a pure flood light. It has no reflector and most really say that its beam is the best in all of ZL's lineup. Though its max is only 80 lumens. There is however a newer version H502 that has a maximum output of 300 lumens but no one is sure yet on when it will be available

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I was obviously looking at the wrong zebralight, that H501 is pretty nice. I've also found the dereelight CL1H V4 NOHS.
There must be a few more like this out there? At least my option are widening :)

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
The Maglite xl 200 ,you can unscrew the head an reflector an have all flood .

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Malkoff M60F from Oveready and put it in Malkoff 2x123 twisty vme host. Not much bigger than my Surefire E1B. 240 lumens of pure smooth flood, and you can get it in neutral tint too.

nbp

Flashaholic
The SunDrop does have a convex lens though, which does collimate the beam somewhat. If you want complete flood, the McGizmo Mule is what you are after. I love the Mule format personally.

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
I've looked at loads of beam shots, I actually prefer crisp edges to the beam rather than a gradient to nothing. Several of these light suggested are indeed flood but with a very obvious hot spot.
Its a shame the dereelight is a 2 x cr123 otherwise i'd get one..
dsc07732l.jpg

I need to find a few more beam shot of the McGizmo Sundrop to sway me one way or the other

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yezl has a spot to flood 18650 light that looked like that in flood (big circle, no hotspot)
Sipik68 is an aa light that does that too

jalal20

Enlightened
+1 on that, I was about to say the same, get a mule and you'll never look back :)

The SunDrop does have a convex lens though, which does collimate the beam somewhat. If you want complete flood, the McGizmo Mule is what you are after. I love the Mule format personally.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Most aspheric lensed lights don't have a reflector, but you will probably be more interested in the ones that can be adjusted to a nice even 100% flood beam (eg Romisen RC-C6 II) rather than the dedicated throw monsters like the Dereelight DBS with aspheric.

Some lights can also be run with the normal reflector removed. As far as I can see this removes the hot spot rather than refocus the light going out the side from the LED, so you get less total lumens. This includes PaLights and some Safe-Lights (but for more flood you need to replace the convex lens with a flat lens).

The Ultrafire UF-H2B has a similar all flood beam to the ZL H501 (but watch out for parasitic drain).

And of course there are many lights that run 5mm LED without a reflector (and various beam patterns due to the geometry of the plastic dome over the emitter).

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm....lights without reflectors, what comes to mind are the Led Lensers and the pure throw Dereelight XPE R2 w/ Aspheric lens only.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I throw in Jason Hui's (Prometheus Dark Sucks) Alpha A with a TIR Optic combined with either an XM-L or XM-L U2 (contact Jason to ask if he has any TIR Optic's available). As you can see my photo taking needs a lot of work, but they should at the least give you some info.!

This is with the 18650 body, but you can order a short body (like I have, but it's presently being completed) to use a AW IMR 18350, as well also providing you with a sleeve to use an AW 16340.

CIMG2117.jpg

CIMG2116.jpg

CIMG2118.jpg

15 yards beam profile (the wall is a grey blue color, my Alpha A has a neutral toward a warm tint);

CIMG2061.jpg

30 plus yards beam profile;

CIMG2064.jpg

at 75 yards (the 4 powerline poles are about another (2nd from your right is) 30 and (the other three are) 50 yards from the building and the high tension tower/ 2nd from your left is approx. 150 yards) ;

CIMG2067.jpg

30 yards control shot/and after you flip the light swith on in the (outside) room. It literally lights the whole area (which my photo doesn't show)! .... LOL:

CIMG2071.jpg

The wall/building behind the fence line is another 25 plus yards:

CIMG2074.jpg

Last edited: