What is your favourite size of Mag-Lite?

redbird

Enlightened
I have to say the mini-mag. I got started in collecting flashlights by getting one of each color etc.

When I was a Deputy I used a 4cell C mag light with a krypton bulb. That was before we got streamight SL20s they worked out way better.

I never did like the D battery lights too heavy for my liking.
rolleyes.gif

Frank

Newly Enlightened
2 AAA. It was my everywhere carry light for years. It's just a little handier than the 2 AA for me. Among the big ones the 3 D is the one I use most.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the silver 3D mag...if it only had a better reflector...like the sure fire, it would be really great...I think the silver looks like La, Machine... and it doesn`t show scrathes...1 cent

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clay:
Me? I am a fan of the 3D. Seems like the best weight for the amount of light put out.

You?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a (black) 3D, and although I don't own any other C or D cell models, I think it is the best all-round Mag-Lite. When I went to the store to buy it, they also had the 2D and 4D models.

To me, the 2D was too small to be 'cool' (which, among durability, is one of the reasons I bought a Mag in the first place) and the 4D was too large. I also wanted to be able to take the light with me for camping and such, without it looking too 'intimidating'. I can even pretty much conceal the 3D under my coat / jacket.

I never considered to buy the 5D or 6D because they are just too large and heavy for flashlight use. They are more like bats with a bulb in them
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
I vote for the silver 3D mag...if it only had a better reflector...like the sure fire, it would be really great...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back when I was looking for something to protect the lens on my E2's, I came up with using a writeRIGHT PALM III screen protector. It works nice.
Since the material has a slight fresnel(sp?)effect. So I applied some to a 2D mag with a mag num star krypton bulb. This material really smoothed out the beam. Until somebody makes a better reflector this might be the trick. www.conceptkitchen.com

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solitaire is cute, but seems to be outperformed by others nowadays.
The 2AA is lovely, and makes a great gift, all those colours etc, etc.

3D – I Love this torch ! To me, it is a genuine work of art, and I can get quite mystical about the ….. subtle proportions, ….. beautiful black mirror finish ….. perfect …..1st thing I would save if ever there was a House-Fire ….. ( rambles on for several minutes)

From the above posts, sure seems like the 3D is the Mag-Lite of choice.

I guess it's the smallest size that is really useful, as well as being the largest size that I personally find acceptable. (Except for the Mag-Charger, which is about 10mm longer.)

Believe it or not, I've only just seen (yesterday) the Silver 3D for sale in the UK, and for me, it's a must-buy. Is it a new colour - hope it's available in a 6D, despite what I said above.

Thanks for the tip, K Horn. Would the stuff withstand the heat from a 6D, and is it any use in other torch / reflector combinations ?

Lite-Lover
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lite-Lover:

Thanks for the tip, K Horn. Would the stuff withstand the heat from a 6D, and is it any use in other torch / reflector combinations ?

Lite-Lover
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was out in the garage yesterday running my E2 for about 15min straight. To the point where even holding it was becoming uncomfortable. The stuff on the lens felt softer to the touch but it didn't curl or yellow. I guess if it had, I would have simply peeled off the old and applied a new sheet.
Like I said it really smooths out the beam on the maglite. You can also with the mag flip the stuff to the inside of the lens where you wouldn't have to worry as much about it peeling. It worked nicely on my 3D mag that has the LEDCORP bulb in it too.

This all has the same effect as some people sanding their photons to smooth out the ring patterns.
My big PLUS though is keeping the E2's lens from being scratched. So far, so good in that department.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Solitaire: POS; puny amount of light, and the switch is unreliable unless used frequently. Also tends to turn on when you don't realize it, and battery is thus dead when you need it.

2 AAA, 2 AA: obsolete; poor amount of light for weight and bulk. I had hoped to be able to improve on these by having Carley make up some special order xenon star lamps for these sizes, but have been able to do so. They keep making them, and they don't fit.

2D: OK if space and weight is a concern, but you should probably be using a Sure Fire if this is the case.

3D: best all around size; good amount of light with the Carley xenon star lamp. Excellent balance.

4D: starting to get bulky and heavy; best size if you are using KSR (rechargeable) lamp with NiCds. There is more light than the 3D, but rarely does this allow you to do something that you couldn't do with the 3D. From here on, you get correspondingly less light for the increase in size and weight.

5D, 6D: not useful in my experience; too heavy and bulky; you tend to not have it with you. If you are using one of these, I suspect you have not discovered xenon lamps. A friend of mine is a helo medivac pilot, and he had a 6D (using standard PR lamp). I fixed him up with a 4D with xenon star lamp. Here is what he had to say:
Greetings, Walter.

I recently landed at a night highway scene and, while waiting for the
nurse and respiratory therapist to bring the patient to the helicopter,
I used the flashlight to recon my takeoff path. I found several poles
the landing zone crew had not noticed and from them inferred the wires
in the dark.

Thanks.

Ken

The 6D is now a back up.

Hope this helps, Walt

D

**DONOTDELETE**

KHorn; Augustin Jean Fresnel (FREH-nel) was the French scientist who designed the lens which bears his name. This system truly revolutionized lighthouses, as the same light source could be used, but tremendous increases in power would be realized.

A typical lamp / reflector system only reflected about 17% of the light; the Fresnel lens WASTED only about 17% of the light. The lens was actually many lenses and prisms; they were shipped separately, disassembled, to save space and decrease the chance of breakage.

When assembled, the largest, 'first order', Fresnel lenses were huge. The one previously at the Saint George's Reef Lighthouse in Humbolt, CA, is about 18 feet tall. You can see a picture of it HERE

An animated view of a Fresnel lens can be found HERE

Hope this helps, Walt

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info links: thanks Doctor Welch - I feel much better now !
smile.gif
shocked.gif

Fresnel-ing a lens seems very efficient.

I think I'll have to start a new topic about Mag-Lites in relation to this.

Ps - K Horn, can I send you the $$'s for a couple of sheets of that stuff ?

Yours,
lite-lover
blush.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i'd swing mine with light end in hand, would it matter? like the mighty hammer of THOR.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Far be it from me to comment on illegal and extremely dangerous behavior (a ML to the head could easily kill someone), but I seem to recall that the accepted way to swing a ML is holding the light end (head cap) in your hand. Of course, YMMV, and no liability is assumed. It may be just a rumor.
tongue.gif

Walt

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
Who said I was aiming at the head?
shocked.gif
And with my PR-style LED replacement "bulb" in place, it doesn't matter which end I hold... nothing important will break. In general, though, I would tend to hold the reflector end in my hand.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to hit something with your Mag-Lite, holding it by the head gives you a better grip, better retention and better balance. Don't forget, most of the weight of the flashlight is concentrated near the knurled grip up to the tailcap, because that is where the heavy alkaline batteries are located. So if you would strike in a forward motion, the kinetic energy will be concentrated around the tailcap which makes for a more effective strike. The reflector / head is too light for effective impact. I'm not a selfdefense expert, it's just common sense to me. Police officers also hold their flashlights this way.

Just my two cents
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

JB

Enlightened
Walt...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I had hoped to be able to improve on these by having Carley make up some special order xenon star lamps for these sizes, but have been able to do so. They keep making them, and they don't fit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried the Brinkmann Nextstar lamps? These seem to be the way to go for the 2AA Mini Mags.

Of course if Carley came up with the proper lamps I'll go for them too.
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
Who said I was aiming at the head?
shocked.gif
And with my PR-style LED replacement "bulb" in place, it doesn't matter which end I hold... nothing important will break. In general, though, I would tend to hold the reflector end in my hand.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, we need to really check out this important point - the heavy end, or the business end ?

Kris, if you promise not to actually whack me on the head, well, "for the sake of CandlePower Forums", and to definitely answer on Mag-Lite durability for the benefit of flashaholics everywhere:

I (Gulp !) formally volunteer myself as a test subject.

Proviso - only if you use a Silver 3D + a Carley bulb, because that's my new favourite.

Would you all contribute to the cost of my flight over to the States for this scientific purpose……? I could always set up a paypal account !? Or maybe Kris could visit Olde Worlde England ?

Lite-lover
wink.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lite-Lover:
Hey, we need to really check out this important point - the heavy end, or the business end ?

Kris, if you promise not to actually whack me on the head, well, "for the sake of CandlePower Forums", and to definitely answer on Mag-Lite durability for the benefit of flashaholics everywhere:

I (Gulp !) formally volunteer myself as a test subject.

Proviso - only if you use a Silver 3D + a Carley bulb, because that's my new favourite.

Would you all contribute to the cost of my flight over to the States for this scientific purpose……? I could always set up a paypal account !? Or maybe Kris could visit Olde Worlde England ?

Lite-lover
wink.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LL,

While Louisville InterGalactic Airport (sorry, local humor there) does accept international flights, you might be better off hitching a ride with your monarch when she comes to Lexington for the horse auctions, and I could drive over there and meet you. Then, if the timing is right, you could even go to Gall's for their Saturday Sale, and decide for yourself on a used MagCharger!

Frank

Newly Enlightened
In the late 70s-early 80s I worked as a clerk in a liquor store. We had a 5 cell light behind the counter. I grabbed it a couple of times during misunderstandings that I had and my hand always seemed to feel more natural holding on to the bulb end. Luckily I never had to actually hit anyone with it. Came close one time but the other clerk had a Model 12 and that kind of calmed the situation.