Decent drop in replacement for 3D mag

deww

Newly Enlightened
hello folks. i was wondering what are some of the recommendations for a decent drop in replacement bulb for a 3D Mag. i'm all about easy to do and as little to do as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if i wanted a bright spot (like what i've my current lamp focused to), what are some choices? i'm assuming throw and a spot beam usually means better throw. if i wanted a nice flood light, what are my choices? my main purpose is just to get rid of the yellow, weak feeling light that's currently in the light that just doesn't feel right.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
deww
Welcome to CPF.
You might want to look at threads by Ginsing & PaulW.
I have done an easy 3D mod. I used a KPR118 bulb from RadioShack with three 3toD holders from ElektroLumens and 9AA alkaline batteries. I did not mod the 3toD holders to reduce resistance. I did have trouble with some old 3D Mags in that I couldn't get contact with the positive connection from the 3toD to the head of the flashlight. I tried to sodder a blob and then a nut to the positive end and all I did was to ruin a 3toD holder. I finally just super glued a piece of tinfoil to the positive end of the 3toD that makes contact with the head of the light. With new Mags I didn't have this problem. The negative end next to the spring in the tail was pretty much the same story & I used tinfoil there also. This is not the fault of the 3toDs. The problem with the positive connection IMHO was due to a old & weakened spring in the head of the light. The problem with the negative connection could have been dealt with several ways, I used this as an easy & temporary fix to get contact from the tail spring to the 3toD. I also tried rechargeable batteries, but they were dimmer. I was just trying to make some old 3D Mags into something useful. This made the 3Ds much brighter and whiter. This mod just doesn't compare to what some of the hot wire guys are doing, but I learned enough from them to make these old Mags into something useful.I hope this helps.
PS: You have to take them outside at night to fully see what this will do!!! My wife told me to get back in the house before someone called the cops. This will LIGHT UP a house a block away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
and remember this doesn't compare with what the hot wire guys are doing!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoghead - That is really pushing the overdrive on that bulb. I know the 3toD holders offer some resistance, but thats still quite a push on that bulb. Is it still holding up? How long have you run it for like that? Are the 9aa's new or were they used and slightly weak? I want to try this, but I've flashed many bulbs due to over overdriving. I hate that flash. Please give me an update and some more details. Thanks.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
KartRacer31
I first tried two 3toDs in a 2D Mag with a KPR112 with 1800mah rechargeables, but it was dimmer than a side by side comparison with a KPR112 driven by 3x123. I had planed on using 1 or 2 dummy cells with three 3toDs and adding batteries until the bulbs flashed and then backing off by one cell, but once I used the rechargeables I and saw that it wasn't that bright, I went right to nine alkalines. This is bright & about what I was looking for but I didn't have any way to add more cells to a 3D Mag. I reasoned 6AA 1800mah didn't flash a KPR112 then 9AA 1800mah wouldn't flash a KPR118.
I have only used these for about two minutes at a time to compare beams and to see how far they thro etc. These were fresh batteries in both lights. One of these has a better beam than the other, but I don't know if it is the bulb or the light. These don't have quite as good a spot as the KPR112, but I think they put out more light. Enjoy!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
deww
Do you have any questions?

KartRacer31
If you want to run rechargeables in the 3D with 3toDs I think I would start with 7 cells and 2 dummy cells & KPR112. I am pretty sure this won't flash. If 7 cells isn't bright enough try adding one more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
You can always reason that it is preferable to recharge an even number of cells, or if this isn't enough to make you take the chance of flashing a bulb you can tell yourself that you're taking one for the team /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
If it flashes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.giflet us know. This is how we learn.
I have to give credit to Gensing,PaulW,& Playboyjoeschmoe. These guy helped me & I'm sure others helped them.
CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me tell you this is a fantastic overdrive mod!!!! This thing is as bright or brighter than my SL TL-3 and Surefire D3!!!

Here is why I'm so happy:
1. It's real bright.
2. Inexpensive & easy way to upgrade lame 3D cell lights.
3. A great use for the high resistance 3toD holders.

Thanks for posting about this mod.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
KartRacer31
You're welcome.
I was hesitant to post because I felt it wasn't worthy of the awesome mods done here, but I thought maybe somebody was looking for the same thing that I was so I posted my unworthy mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
I'm glad I was able to help!
Since KartRacer31 likes this also maybe I'm not nuts & it is safe to tell that I'm doing 8 of these for mine and my kids old 3Ds. Kind of like a Surge without the bulb problems.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi deww,

Welcome to CPF. On behalf of the Hot Wire Guys, welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You've tapped into an easy and very satisfying species of mods. While not techincally difficult (can you screw in a light bulb?) there's much to learn and great and easy satisfaction to be had. You might want to check this thread as a starter. In it, I reference some informative threads.

Mag Mods with Superbulbs

Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Pretty easy, but WAY better than stock (provided you use a lense such as Acrylite) is to put 4C in the light, and be sure the bulb is centered.

I think M*gs are all different from one another as far as resistence. I have two 3D lights with 4C and KPR103, and one is noticeably brighter than the other (so it is the one that got the Acrylite!)...

deww

Newly Enlightened
hey guys. thanks for the warm welcomes and information. i'll see what i ca nget myself into doing. so far i've no real questions yet because i've yet to start. thanks!

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
deww said:
hello folks. i was wondering what are some of the recommendations for a decent drop in replacement bulb for a 3D Mag. i'm all about easy to do and as little to do as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you could do something REALLY easy that works really well and drop in an Everled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

deww

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the links and recommendations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll probably weasle my way out from doing any work like breaking a light bulb. Hehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoghead - Man you gotta try this! OK, well you know how much I loved the KPR118 mod in the 3D light with the 3toD adaptors. Well I was feelin a bit crazy and I decided that I would try a KPR112 in place for the KPR118. So now I'm really pushing the thing right! Well I really expected it to flash instantly, so much so that I almost didn't even do it at the last minute, then I decided, ah what the heck it's a $1.29 bulb that's easy to get at any RadioShack. So in the name of science I fliped the switch. Well like I started this post with, Man you gotta try this! It so easily smoked my Surefire D3 and SL TL-3 that I had to take out my Tigerlight for a good comparison. Well it's not quite up to the Tigerlight. However for a mod that cost about $12 it's awesome. It must be putting out 400+ lumens! (I have no idea how to measure lumens at all so just roll with me on that one, I'm just real excited right now)(actually I think the Tigerlight is in the neighborhood of 500 lumens and this isn't quite as bright so I just came up with 400). Ah heck lumens schmoomans, the thing is bright! Try it.

PS - as a disclaimer I've only had this light on for about two minutes at a time, for a total of about 10 minutes. I don't know how long it will last overall. Additionally the 9aa alky batts in the 3toD holders were not brand new, but were quite fresh, with a measured voltage ranging from 1.50 to 1.52. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
KartRacer31
Thanks for the info. I thought this would flash a KPR112. I thought I might try this with rechargeables and 1 or 2 dummy cells, but i haven't got around to it yet. I might have to use KPR112s for awhile because Radio Shack is back ordered on KPR118s. I got more 3toDs today(22) to do 7 more of these for the family, but no KPR118s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have to go try this now(KPR112). I'll get back to you.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
KartRacer31
Well to make a long story short the KPR112 flashed on 9 fresh alkaline. Now the long version. First I tried 7AA & 2 dummy cells & this was pretty close to a KPR112 with 3x123, I had to look real close to tell a difference, but 7AAs & 2 dummy cells was a little dimmer than 3X123 both with a KPR112. Next I ran 8AAs & 1 dummy cell this was a little brighter & quite a bit whiter than a KPR112 with 3X123(maximum overdrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Finally I used 9 AAs and for about a half a second it was bright and a very pretty blue then all was dark. I think I might try this again if I want to use rechargeables or if I can't get the KPR118s. Right now this last mod has a KPR112 with 8 AA alkaline & 1 dummy & it's nice and bright. I think 7 AAs and 2 dummy cells is probably better for bulb life and it's still very bright.
Maybe after the batteries have had a little use I might add AAs instead of dummy cells.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, sorry to hear it flashed. Mine is still running bright. Like I said tho, my 9aa alkys were not brand new, but very fresh. Maybe I have more resistance in my 3toD holders than you do? I hear that they are all a little different. I'm thinking of trying some Carley bulbs next, I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts