Already know this LED from Nichia already?

Creerules

Newly Enlightened
Nichia published a new Midpower LED which seems really interesting: http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/en/product/led/NF2W757AR-E.pdf
Looking at the datasheet the typical efficiancy gives a nice 133Lumen/Watt and with the best bins might even be higher then 150Lumen/Watt. But whats especially interesting: I found this LED at ledrise.com with a price of 0,47€/pc :huh:
Anyone already had the chance to try it?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... it does look interesting. I'm about to make an order on Ledrise, I think I'll order a few of these to play with. Looks like a good choice for cheap medium-power flashlights where a XP-G would be wasted.

Edit: looks like they're currently out of stock...

Edit2: forward voltage is 6V. This makes it troublesome to adapt these LEDs to existing designs. On the other hand, it makes it very easy to run them on setups with two CR123As or four AAs...

Last edited:

Creerules

Newly Enlightened
Hmm those 6V really are a problem for some applications... Maybe Nichia will also publish a version in which the Chips aint put in series. For other LED types their usually offer various versions.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you supposed to heatsink these? The contact pads are on the bottom of the LED itself, where you'd usually apply goop before squishing them on a heatsink.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you supposed to heatsink these? The contact pads are on the bottom of the LED itself, where you'd usually apply goop before squishing them on a heatsink.

MCPCB, heat transfer straight through the whole thickness.

Similar to how the P4s, Luxeons and so on had a thermal pad that wasn't electrically isolated.

pretmetled

Newly Enlightened
That looks some serious price/performance. Guess that's another entry on the gotta-try-that-one list!

Just took a quick peek at the datasheet: "Nitrogen reflow soldering is recommended. Air flow soldering conditions can cause optical degradation, caused by heat and/or atmosphere."

Oh great, now they want me to pump nitrogen into the toaster oven!

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
That looks some serious price/performance. Guess that's another entry on the gotta-try-that-one list!

Just took a quick peek at the datasheet: "Nitrogen reflow soldering is recommended. Air flow soldering conditions can cause optical degradation, caused by heat and/or atmosphere."

Oh great, now they want me to pump nitrogen into the toaster oven!

easy!

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=2432&Page=1

just tack that on top of your toaster oven, run a line in from the compressor/filter, and bam, youre on your way. :whistle:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSCs had a conductive slug, but you weren't required to power them through it because they had side contacts - in fact, it was insulating them that was usually the problem. This Nichia LED doesn't have side contacts - you either power it through the slug or you don't power it at all.

It sounds like we won't be able to try these until someone starts selling them pre-soldered to stars.

pretmetled

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like we won't be able to try these until someone starts selling them pre-soldered to stars.

Or heaven forfend, when some infidel puts them on a regular PCB riddles with via's slapped on a heatsink. Nichia just might have a perfectly legit business related reason for the lack of slug. Such as "it's good enough, and without slug it's even cheaper". After all, it's only a mere 1340 mW per emitter we are talking about here. But by all means, don't order any! That just means more left in stock for me. ;-)

pretmetled

Newly Enlightened
In my naivety I went looking for the blue led tech from Nichia these white leds are riding on. The thought process went a little like this:

"Wow, efficient white leds at a low price. These must be based on some blue leds with phosphor slapped on. So no doubt Nichia is also selling these highly efficient blue emmitters. And hopefully at similar or lower prices."

But, no such luck. Either Nichia does in fact sell these blue's and I am just blind, or they don't sell those underlying blue led dies at lowlow prices.

Or maybe option 3 I just realized. They have to do a different led die surface when they use phosphor, when compared to straight up blue output. And production volume for blue leds is no doubt lower than for white leds, so less price advantages... But I don't know enough about led / white tech to figure out if that's reasonable or not.

Any thoughts?