NoPoPo Eco Water-Powered Flashlight Set

ico

Enlightened
Does anyone here own this kind of light?

http://www.japantrendshop.com/nopopo-eco-waterpowered-flashlight-set-p-539.html

How to use the NoPoPo mini lantern
  1. Use the included syringe to suck water into the NoPoPo battery
  2. Place the NoPoPo battery into the mini lantern
  3. Switch on!
Specifications
  • Proprietary NoPoPo hydro-electric battery from Aqua Power Japan
  • White LED lamp works as flashlight or lantern
  • Holds charge up to ten years
  • Also charges with beer, sake, cola, or even urine
  • Size: 9.65x2.75cm (3.75x1.08 inches)
  • AA NoPoPo battery included; can be charged up to four times
  • Manual: Japanese, but self-explanatory
But I guess the main innovation here is the battery. You can probably still use the light using normal primaries, if this light is fo real

EDIT:
The batteries were also for sale without the light

[url]http://www.japantrendshop.com/nopopo-eco-waterpowered-aa-batteries-p-546.html

The NoPoPo Eco Water-powered AA Batteries features:
  • Two sets of three batteries (6 AA batteries in total)
  • Proprietary NoPoPo hydro-electric battery from Aqua Power Japan
  • Holds charge up to ten years
  • Also charges with beer, sake, cola, or even urine
  • Size: 9.65 x 2.75cm (3.75 x 1 .08")
  • Current: 60mA-300mA
  • Capacity: 1.6Ah-0.6Ah
  • Voltage: 2.1V
  • Can be charged up to five times
  • Manual: Japanese

To bad the batteries can only be charged up to 5 times

[/URL]

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to say that our biggest concern is to make sure our lights are water-proof. I'd like to see the specs on those batteries... they might come in more handy than the flashlight itself!

:shakehead Now, that just looks wrong! Looks like there is one other thing this product can help with that it is not advertised for...

Now Bear Grylis can power a flashlight!

He'll probably have them branded to his name : "Bear Grylls Camel poo juice powered flashlight" :crackup:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrm. Not really very good energy density, from just a bit better than NiMHs (Presumably at 60 mA?) to about the same as a AAA NiMH. I wonder what the cost to the environment is to produce these?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrm. Not really very good energy density, from just a bit better than NiMHs (Presumably at 60 mA?) to about the same as a AAA NiMH. I wonder what the cost to the environment is to produce these?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't very good energy density. I hate to think what the environmental cost of a use-five-times-then-throw-away cell is going to be.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
We all should realize that it's not really getting energy from the water--it just needs water to make use of its chemical energy, and this water needs to be replenished about four additional times before its chemical energy runs out.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess on this is:
The battery contain everything we can found on normal battery but without water
W/o water, the chemical cannot undergo reaction to give electricity as theres no mobile ions
Feel like lemon battery..... I can create have a forever-shelf-life too...... Vaccum seal 2 different type of metal plate and a pack of salt..... when in need, make salt water and soak 2 metal plate then you will have a battery

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Those pee batteries were discussed a few years ago when they were new.

Since they are only claiming "holds charge up to ten years" they are losing in every category I can think of compared to Lithium except that they can be recharged a few times.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Those "pee batteries" were discussed a few years ago when they were new.

Since they are only claiming "holds charge up to ten years" they are losing in every category I can think of compared to Lithium except that they can be recharged a few times.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
My guess on this is:
The battery contain everything we can found on normal battery but without water
W/o water, the chemical cannot undergo reaction to give electricity as theres no mobile ions

I agree, and to add to this I want to point out explicitly that it's really a primary battery--one that requires maintenance similar to that of an old-school car battery (adding water), but cannot actually be recharged to reverse the reactions of its chemicals. Once its chemical potential energy is depleted, that's it, which makes the NoPoPo a primary battery. The manufacturer is obfuscating this fact by passing off the maintenance as recharging, which is clever but misleading. :tsk:

Since they are only claiming "holds charge up to ten years"

I bet that they can't do that, though--I'm sure you'll need to "charge" them with water after they dry up well short of ten years.

Last edited:

Helmut.G

Enlightened
They still lose because they cannot truly be recharged. And the only reason they have more total energy capacity than primary CR123A batteries--when water is added periodically and current draw is low--is their comparatively huge size. A lithium primary of that size would blow away the NoPoPo in energy capacity and power delivery, and so would Li-ion and NiMH batteries, for that matter. In addition, truly rechargeable batteries like the latter are far more economical and "green" than any primary battery could be, including the NoPoPo.
You are right, they can't truly be recharged, they simply still contain energy after all the water's gone.

But if the 1.6 Ah are for every time they are filled with water, then they contain more energy than any other AA-sized battery (at a low draw), for a single use.

I wouldn't recommend anybody to buy them, still.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Powered by water only" is cheating
First, giving out electricity involved chemical put in the cell during production, not exactly water-only
Second, H2O has a very low potential energy/highest oxidation state of hydrogen (otherwise all organism wouldve been KABOOOMed), cannot be further oxidized

This is definitely non-eco since it is still chemical-reliance, rather than water-electrolysis by green power like solar,wind, whatever we got

Unless it is vaccum sealed or modified-atmosphere, otherwise metal content inside cell will be thrashed by oxygen
MnO2 inside cell will also undergo self decomposition as it is unstable(strong oxidizing agent)
But since it is 2.1V i think it wouldnt be nominal alkaline cells, still, couldn't guarantee 10-year-shelf-life

Didnt the manufacturer think about water leakage problem if theres any...

GaAslamp

Enlightened
But if the 1.6 Ah are for every time they are filled with water, then they contain more energy than any other AA-sized battery (at a low draw), for a single use.

Correct--disregard everything else I've said regarding capacity (posts have been edited). It has low energy capacity and poor power capacity on each "charge," but counting all five "charges" it has more energy capacity overall than existing types of AA batteries.

This is definitely non-eco since it is still chemical-reliance, rather than water-electrolysis by green power like solar,wind, whatever we got

Right, and if the chemical reactions cannot be reversed, then it's not reusing anything. In addition, rechargeable batteries can be recycled these days, while the NoPoPo is, at least currently, disposable after a much shorter lifespan.

Unless it is vaccum sealed or modified-atmosphere, otherwise metal content inside cell will be thrashed by oxygen
MnO2 inside cell will also undergo self decomposition as it is unstable(strong oxidizing agent)
But since it is 2.1V i think it wouldnt be nominal alkaline cells, still, couldn't guarantee 10-year-shelf-life

It appears to use a novel technology that could, for all we know, stay "fresh" for 10 years, but almost certainly you'd have to "charge" it with water before using it.

By the way, interestingly this is a proper use of the English word "charge," but the implication in this particular context is all wrong and I'm sure that their marketing department doesn't mind that at all.

Didnt the manufacturer think about water leakage problem if theres any...

I don't know, but even assuming that the problem has been fully addressed, the only use I can think of for this product would be storing as much potential electrical energy, in somewhat readily available chemical form, in as little space as possible. You have to give up a lot for this, though--it's more of an extreme niche or novelty product than a game-changer, certainly.

Mike9988

Newly Enlightened
Although you are all reasonably close , the facts are very simple.
I have been involved with the company behind this "eco friendly" battery (aquapower system japan)
Its nothing more then a scam , the batteries have a maximum capacity of less then 150 mA and are magnesium based (anode) which causes the battery to de-form soon after use.
Needless to say what that does to the products they are used in...
Again , the 150 mA is maximum capacity regardless of fillings , the reason for the 4-5 "charges" is because the water simply doesnt penetrate all the way into the battery due to the design limitations.
Water , indeed only acts as a catalyst and for that matter any water based substance such as urine.
The fact remains that you need close to 20 of these batteries to match the capacity of 1 alkaline battery , and with the biggest environmental impact of ANY battery in the world being the depletion of the earth's resources , you may consider this battery a crime against nature.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
what happens everytime you need to refill? Pour out the old and maby contaminated water (acid?), and then fill it up again with clean water? If so, it dont sounds eco friendly..