V10R XM-L T6 vs R5

Texas Made

Newly Enlightened
I have a V10R with the R5 emitter that I run a rcr li-ion battery in. I noticed that the XM-L T6 versions are available and advertize over 400 lumens with rcr li-ion batteries. Will I notice much more brightness going to the XM-L T6over the R5 that I have? If it is significantly brighter, then I would consider an upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a V10R with the R5 emitter that I run a rcr li-ion battery in. I noticed that the XM-L T6 versions are available and advertize over 400 lumens with rcr li-ion batteries. Will I notice much more brightness going to the XM-L T6over the R5 that I have? If it is significantly brighter, then I would consider an upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

These are lumen values, 100 into 120 lumens is barely perceptible.

20% more output - barely perceptible
40% more output - widely noticed, minor difference
100% more output - looks a fair bit brighter
400% more output - looks twice as bright

These are only lumen output to lumen output, OR lux to lux - not both.

hook63

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the R5 but the xm-l version is a awsome flood light

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your help.

Hello!

This is easy, the XML is noticeably brighter but the R5 will throw better since the emitter is smaller.

If you wanna upgrade, why not go for the T20CS?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my R5 on the left, photographed next to my XM-L T6 on the right; 210 vs 460 lumens.

The total light output (in lumens) = the brightness/intensity (in lux) multiplied by the surface area of illumination (in square meters).
When you ask, will it be significantly brighter, what do you mean?
Do you mean the total volume of light output in lumens, which takes into account both the brightness/intensity, and the surface area of illumination?
Or do you just mean the maximum brightness/intensity of the hotspot only? Measured in lux.
Did you know that the wider the surface area of illumination, the more lumens you have?

So in the photograph below.
The R5 has a more intense/bright, yet smaller hot spot, and the lateral spill is the same size but dimmer.
The XM-L T6 has a larger but less bright hot spot; the spill is the same size, but brighter.
For outright throw, the R5 will throw further.
For a wider surface area of illumination, the XM-L T6 will illuminate a wider surface area.
Generally speaking, the XM-L is not as bright, but it lights up a wider area.

However, the most important difference between these two emitters is that, the XM-L T6 has only a small decrease in brightness/lux [hence only a small loss in longitudinal throw], for a significantly greater gain in lateral surface area of illumination - hence 460 lumens, versus only 210 lumens.
For total lumen output, taking into account both the brightness and the surface area of illumination, the XM-L T6 is vastly superior...

IMG_0940.jpg

Last edited:

D50boy

Newly Enlightened
I have a question dealing with these two versions as well. With plain 123s, will the differences (T6 vs R5) cause any difference in run times?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if there are any independent tests, however the manufacturer's claims using CR123 disposables for both the R5 and T6 versions are the same, @ 1 lumen to 160 lumens, and 1.5 hours to 35 hours run time.
Only the use of 16340 rechargeables make a difference...

Fiskar

Newly Enlightened
Wow, popped in an RCR123 and went for a long walk, this thing lights up like a car head lamp, not too much heat after 2 mins of high operation (70F). Will defo be looking at getting another with a coloured control ring (in wine please!). Big difference over the standard lithium Cr123.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened

Thanks for your help.

If it's anything like the RRT-0 XML vs R5 then the only thing you'll notice is that the R5 has a more concentrated spot whereas the XML will have a nice bright flood. I have the V10R Ti on the way and the vanilla version as well so I'll try and do a more objective comparison then. In the meantime, I'm sure I'm not the only one with both these lights :)

Outlander

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Sunwayman v10R-t6 today. Popped in a AW ICR 123 3.7 750 mAh and my mouth dropped. Awesome light.

Going in my pocket tomorrow for EDC.