The L.Y.L.L. with Beam Shots!

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all the years I've been here, and all the lights I've made, I've never really had a real demonstration of any of them, I've also never been able to do any beam shots. Well that all changes now that I have a good camera. Since I can finally do beam shots I decided to do my favorite throwing light first, the L.Y.L.L. or "Little Yellow Laser Lantern. This light was made years back to settle once and for all "at least in my mind" the importance of surface brightness and how high you could get it with an Incan. Thus I set out to find the best standard medium sized Incan reflector "this one actually has a double 2-way reflector design that catches most of the side spill and concentrates it into the main beam". I then spent hours trying countless different bulbs and drive rates "with many casualties on the way:poof:!" to find the highest surface brightness bulb possible. After much time I determined that this current bulb "who's filament measures only 1.5x0.125mm in size:eek: was the best one. Starting off at an original 2.75 watts the extra power pushes it to about 50 out the front lumens I'm estimating. The beam however compensates for the extremely low output by diverging only 0.98 degrees. This can change quite a bit if the bulb isn't centered ever so perfectly. In the beam shots the beam converges about 100 feet up which is wrong if I fiddle with some duct tape I can normally get it so the beam never converges at all.

While I still don't have a Lux metter "I will most likely soon" I've illuminated objects well in excess of 500 yards and in direct comparison between the L.Y.L.L. and the DEFT the L.Y.L.L. produces a good deal of extra throw "of course with a beam so small one can hardly make out what it is they are looking at:thinking:, in fact it is all but impossible to use this light. By the time the beam fades out and stops illuminating it would not have even have spread out enough to illuminate an entire SINGLE tree:ohgeez:!

In the end this light serves it purpose very well it demonstrates the concentrated power of the Incan when given the proper set up, to the point of beating out any LED or HID "well if scaled up that is, I can't think of too many super LED or short arcs that only make 50 lumens:crackup:!"

Do to the hardness to obtain or even get properly aligned bulbs. It's total run time was doubled just in taking the beam shots.. It probably has 7 minuets on the bulb now after 2 years:whistle:....

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That filament is just so tiny and cute! What a cool build. At the get together did you have a chance to compare this to something like the T.I. N30? Also, can you post a pic or two of the front of the light so we can see the reflector?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it out throwed the T.I. too, again though it really depends on what you mean by throw power. The L.Y.L.L.'s hotspot was more visible but the T.I. 30 was able to "really" illuminate to the point of knowing what you were looking at much better!

I'll try and get another shot up tomorrow of the front.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see some better pictures of the business end. Glad to see you finally posting beamshots.

In the end this light serves it purpose very well it demonstrates the concentrated power of the Incan when given the proper set up, to the point of beating out any LED or HID "well if scaled up that is, I can't think of too many super LED or short arcs that only make 50 lumens:crackup:!"

I have to contend this. The best incans cannot beat the best LEDs given the same size enclosure. In fact LEDs now beat all but the best HIDs as well.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see some better pictures of the business end. Glad to see you finally posting beamshots.

I have to contend this. The best incans cannot beat the best LEDs given the same size enclosure. In fact LEDs now beat all but the best HIDs as well.

yea I was just reading one of your threads about the power of that LED in your impressive DEFT edc lr "the XP-C Q4" never heard of that before, I figure today even in a good reflector "let alone an aspheric lens!" it would most likely beat out the L.Y.L.L. Also the DEFT I had seen compared to this was one of your production run versions can't recall the name but it was no where near as intense as your high out put DEFT or that crazy one you made that had like 650,000 lux! both of those would more then likely "and by quite a margin" beat out the L.Y.L.L. "with a usable beam too". I don't claim the L.Y.L.L. is the farthest throwing of any category except perhaps for 50 lumens. I think your right, most modern forms of illumination can beat out Incan, though that won't stop me from trying:whistle:!

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you told us what that bulb actually is, did you? What voltage was it actually rated for and what were you sending it?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quite an apple to orange comparison
Big-bully-LED can use lens effectively but incan couldnt, they could only stick with reflector due to beam nature, omni directional v.s. narrower direction

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite an apple to orange comparison
Big-bully-LED can use lens effectively but incan couldnt, they could only stick with reflector due to beam nature, omni directional v.s. narrower direction

It is my understanding that in the LED die, blue photons are emitted in all directions, but absorbed unless they generally go 'up.' Then in the phosphor they again can scatter back into the chip, losing still more energy to heat.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is my understanding that in the LED die, blue photons are emitted in all directions, but absorbed unless they generally go 'up.' Then in the phosphor they again can scatter back into the chip, losing still more energy to heat.
LED is quite directional than incans
XP-G for example, it only irradiate at 125 degrees(Only care about light coming out, not the physics inside the die)
While incan irradiate at the surface of the coil, so it is much more omni directional

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this thread isn't new anymore but what bulb was actually used in the light and where can one get it?