Economical source for generic 20mm tail cap inserts?

rhd

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a source of tail cap inserts - the kind that are used in almost every generic (budget) flashlight from China.

You can buy the ~14mm versions in 10-packs for usually around $1.50 on any number of "chinese gadget sites", but I'm looking for the larger (typically called "20mm") versions. KaiDomain had them, at 5 for $1.00, but they're sold out:
http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S003020

The only other source I've found is DinoDirect, but they're asking like $25 for 10 of them (they now sell what look to be identical tailcaps to the old KaiDomain ones, but in single-packs for $2.50)

Any thoughts / leads / sources?

rhd

Newly Enlightened
Anyone?

I'm surprised that this hasn't come up before.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
check shiningbeam.com...I have purchased from them...

and BTW this KD lisitng ahs been dead since 2 site makeovers back!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
this must be...teh 16mm means the hub diameter..regular rubber booties are 14mm...

when I am ta hoem I will check my order history and comfirm they are the ones...

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Shiningbeam caps and they fit my 20mm host perfectly. The boot itself is 16mm but the seal part is larger. You won't find switch boots where the grippy part itself is 20mm...

rhd

Newly Enlightened
I just took a measurement, which is what I should have done from the outset.

The "button" portion itself, the protrusion, is 16mm in diameter.

So it sounds like what you've described from ShiningBeam would be perfect. Are you referring to the item I linked in a previous post? Or do they stock another tailcap insert that I just couldn't find. Preferably, I'd like to find black.

rhd

Newly Enlightened
You might also look at the OverReady boots sold on LightHound, they do stock black.

Thanks for the tip. I've spent some time looking at these:
http://www.lighthound.com/Oveready-...-SureFire-z41-tailcap-Black-Color_p_3409.html

The challenge I have, is that it really looks like it's going to be a small item - or at least the same size as the typical 14mm boots that are easy to find. Does anyone know off hand what the diameter of these is?

EDIT: Making matters more frustrating, DinoDirect (which has been the only source I could find these, albeit at $3+ each), has now upped their price to $4.39 per insert. So for 10x of them that's like $44.00, instead of $1.50 like it use to be on KaiDomain. *frustrated*

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one...it is abit narrowere than the generic 14mm one...and I do not think the big diameter is up to 20mm.

rhd

Newly Enlightened
I have one...it is abit narrowere than the generic 14mm one...and I do not think the big diameter is up to 20mm.

That's what I had thought. Thank you for confirming it before I went out and placed an order. So I'm more or less back to square one.

I recognize that low-end generic Chinese hosts aren't a huge hit in some circles, but I still would have thought there'd be some market for replacement generic tailcaps. Now that hosts are starting to use the larger size more frequently, I would have thought there would have been a source for basic black tailcaps (since so often the default is a hideous colour).

Thank you to everyone that has helped so far. If anyone can think of any other resources, please let me know :)