Which nation in the world makes the best flashlights?

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
There are many countries in the world today that make quality flashlights, and brands. In the eyes of my fellow CPFs i would like to know what is your opinion, and could you also give a reason, and a brand.
Thankyou

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the other countries are run by little girls...

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
depends what you mean by best, best for the price- China best for reliability- USA

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
The word "best" is subjective. Most manufacturers have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to performance, reliability, price, warranty, functionality and so on.

Danielsan

Enlightened
best single brand comes from germany in my mind with Lupine, higher quality then surefire for sure :) but best price definately from china

nbp

Flashaholic
My favorite makers, McGizmo, Muyshondt, HDS and Surefire all come from the US. Interestingly, the first three basically come from three individuals: Don, Enrique, and Henry...so I think it's more about the people than the location. :shrug: But what's good for me isn't necessarily the best for you I suppose.

davyro

Enlightened
A country is only different to another country by some imaginary line on a map,we're all people who might just happen to talk a little differently.
Therefore i think it's which person or a company of persons makes the best lights.Don & Henry build the best i've ever had the pleasure of using

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
The majority of flashlights I've looked and and really piqued my interest because of design, overall quality, and price are those that are made in China. I have Surefire and wish HDS Systems was more available but for overall bang for the buck, availability, and overall quality, made in China lights are quite good.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
The majority of flashlights I've looked and and really piqued my interest because of design, overall quality, and price are those that are made in China. I have Surefire and wish HDS Systems was more available but for overall bang for the buck, availability, and overall quality, made in China lights are quite good.
Another thing to think about when you see "made in the USA" you are paying someone in the US to build it. Thus this is factored into the price. I don't want to get into the whole " national debt" or anything of that sort just stating........

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread would probably be locked soon, menstruation topic, comes up every month
Alright i will give my 2cents, best flashlight? If Surefire is the first runner up, then there is no champion
Given by warranty, build quality, versatility, mod-ability and reliability

budynabuick

Enlightened
A country is only different to another country by some imaginary line on a map,we're all people who might just happen to talk a little differently.
Therefore i think it's which person or a company of persons makes the best lights.Don & Henry build the best i've ever had the pleasure of using

+1 davyro. At the end of the day we are all in this together.

Keith who don't think the op is being racist

Quiksilver

Enlightened
BEST is a subjective word.

Durable, simple and useful illumination tools?

USA - HDS Systems, Malkoff Devices, SureFire to name a few.

Coolest, Cheapest and Brightest toys?

China - Fenix, Foursevens, Zebralight, etc.

-----

Lots of crossover, but while my lights made in China were brightest and had cool modes, they're all broken now so I'm just left with the simple and durable American lights.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what size and what type of flashlight you are referring to.
Flashlights come in many different sizes and types.

Conventional Reflectored Flashlights
Traditionally, a good CR123 size light may have been a McGizmo Haiku.
Today, Jetbeam seems to have done a very good copy in the RRT-0???

Today, for extra compact CR123 pocket size, with a twisty might be a 4Sevens Quark 123 Mini.
For pocket size CR123, a Sunwayman V10R. Others include Thrunite 1C, Incendio V5 etc.

For modern day tactical CR123, a HDS is wonderful; great companion to a Glock.
For modern day pocket size with floodbeam, the Zebralight SC600 1x18650 XM-L is wonderful, with not so much throw at only 145 meters, but a broad and wide area of illumination.

Small to medium 1x18650 for 200-300 meters of throw, include: Thrunite TN11 & Scorpion, Sunway T20CS, Eagletac G25C2, and a few more too...

3/4 size 2x18650 for 400+ meters of throw, include: Crelant 7G5, Olight M3X, Sunway T40CS, Olight SR51, Thrunite Catapult V3, and Eagletac M3C4; and many more too...

Large 3 or 4x18650 include:
Compact: Nitecore TM11 4x18650 Triple XM-L for 286 meters of throw.
Middle: Jetbeam RRT-3 3x18650 Triple XM-L for 346 meters of throw.
Large: Xtar S1 3x18650 Triple XM-L with 83mm bezel for 470 meters of throw as tested by Selfbuilt.

Oversized 6x18650, or 4xD include:
Pure throw: Olight SR90 with a 100mm bezel for 634 meters of throw as tested by Selfbuilt.
Flood-throw: Fenix TK70
Pure flood: Olight SR92 for 425 meters of throw.

Hybrid Reflector and Lens Combo
TIR optics for long throw with compromised spill: Surefires....

Lens only, no reflector
Asphericals for the greatest throw with almost no spill: DEFT EDC LR, and Lamdalights, and many more...

There are many many more good makes not yet included in this list.
There are many very good makes and models, each good in different ways.
Company or brand wise, there are obviously many brands of good flashlights, depending on the size and type of flashlight.

Nationality-wise, all this seems to be a mixture of American and Chinese.
Originally American, but nowadays many good Chinese products have entered the market too.
The Chinese can engineer simple products like flashlights, however at this stage they can't engineer complex products like computers, tablets, mobile phones, and luxury motor cars.
Germans, Japanese, and even Koreans probably find it too difficult to compete with Chinese on costs, so focus on more complex engineered products like motor cars, hi-fi etc, which the Chinese are not yet able to engineer well.
However, despite this uphill battle, it does seem that the Americans are holding on nicely, and will not collapse anytime too soon, despite the higher prices.
Presently, both the US and Chinese top flashlights are pretty much running neck and neck...

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what size and what type of flashlight you are referring to.
Flashlights come in many different sizes and types.

Conventional Reflectored Flashlights
For very compact CR123 pocket size, with a twisty might be a 4Sevens 123 Mini.
For pocket size CR123, a Sunwayman V10R. Others include Thrunite 1C, Incendio V5 etc.

Traditional CR123 size may have been a McGizmo Haiku.
Today, Jetbeam seems to have done a very good copy in the RRT-0???

For modern day tactical CR123, a HDS is wonderful; great companion to a Glock.
For modern day pocket size with floodbeam, the Zebralight SC600 1x18650 XM-L is wonderful, with not so much throw at only 145 meters, but a broad and wide area of illumination.

Small to medium 1x18650 for 200-300 meters of throw, include: Thrunite TN11 & Scorpion, Sunway T20CS, Eagletac G25C2, and a few more too...

3/4 size 2x18650 for 400+ meters of throw, include: Crelant 7G5, Olight M3X, Sunway T40CS, Olight SR51, Thrunite Catapult V3, and Eagletac M3C4; and many more too...

Large 3 or 4x18650 include:
Compact: Nitecore TM11 4x18650 Triple XM-L for 286 meters of throw.
Middle: Jetbeam RRT-3 3x18650 Triple XM-L for 346 meters of throw.
Large: Xtar S1 3x18650 Triple XM-L with 83mm bezel for 470 meters of throw as tested by Selfbuilt.

Oversized 6x18650, or 4xD include:
Pure throw: Olight SR90 with a 100mm bezel for 634 meters of throw as tested by Selfbuilt.
Flood-throw: Fenix TK70
Pure flood: Olight SR92 for 425 meters of throw.

Hybrid Reflector and Lens Combo
TIR optics for long throw with compromised spill: Surefires....

Lens only, no reflector
Asphericals for the greatest throw with almost no spill: DEFT EDC LR, and Lamdalights, and many more...

There are many many more good makes not yet included in this list.
There are many very good makes and models, each good in different ways.
Company or brand wise, there are obviously many brands of good flashlights, depending on the size and type of flashlight.

Nationality-wise, all this seems to be a mixture of American and Chinese.
Originally American, but nowadays many good Chinese products have entered the market too.
The Chinese can engineer simple products like flashlights, however at this stage they can't engineer complex products like computers, tablets, mobile phones, and luxury motor cars.
Germans, Japanese, and even Koreans probably find it too difficult to compete with Chinese on costs, so focus on more complex engineered products like motor cars, hi-fi etc, which the Chinese are not yet able to engineer well.
However, despite this uphill battle, it does seem that the Americans are holding on nicely, and will not collapse anytime too soon, despite the higher prices.
Presently, both the US and Chinese top flashlights are pretty much running neck and neck...

The Chinese have a space program.