New - Fliklite LS:3

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hot on the heels of the recently released Flik LS:1 (reviewed at the Torch Reviews Site if you`re interested), is the new Flik LS:3 from UK based innovators EFX. I`ve been away for a week and busy with my head in the new Bulb Museum site recently anyway so havn`t kept up with all the new releases, but I *think* this could be the first *commercial* flashlight to make use of the 3 watt Luxeon LEDs. Certainly a UK-first.

Release date is November 15th, costing GB£70. For more details or to pre-order one, go here: http://efx.co.uk/detail.php?&id=000598 . I`ll probably be getting one to review around that time and will keep you all posted.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not yet, but as a guess I`d say it would be the standard NX05 lens. As far as I`m aware, the rest of the light is identical to the LS:1. The only difference being the higher power LED, being driven at a higher power of course.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. The photo implies the same "highly polished or crome plated" (shiny) finish if the LS1.
I wonder if this one is also "regulated" in the same way as the LS1?

Also wonder what the lens is made of on this one. In any event, hurray for EFX for not sitting on their laurels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knowing just how long it takes to photograph this light, what with the endless polishing, re-positioning and re-setting up of lighting and backdrops, I think they just used the original LS:1 photo on that page. Outwardly it will probably look identical to the LS:1, other than a slight change to the engraving of course. And it wouldn`t surprise me if it had the same simple battery-resistor-led setup, relying only on the behavior of the lithium batteries to "regulate" it.

The 1-watter doesn`t have anything covering the lens, though that was a point I raised in my review so we`ll see what happens with the 3-watter. I`d like to see something like Lexan covering it, to fit in with the rest of the near-indestructable construction. Glass of some kind would be nice but can crack of course.

EFX do have plans for a smaller light that *does* have electronics inside, but I can`t say any more about that one yet.

wink.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figures. I finally go for an LS:1 about two weeks after the LS:3 is announced.

Say, any idea as to how -much- brighter the Luxeon 3-watt will be, and what the projected battery life is? Given that two CR123's give the LS:1 a full-power runtime of about two hours, I'm wondering what the LS:3 will look like, and how long it'll be at full strength.

Though if it matches the LS:1's brightness after only 5 minutes of use, I think that a lot of customers might be disappointed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m afraid I don`t know anything more about it, other than what`s on that page at the EFX site. I`ll have to wait to see it myself before I could begin to say how it compares to the LS1.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery life'll be the greatest concern, I think - it may be bloody bright, but again, if that's only good for a few minutes...

Think they'll regulate this one in with some more circuitry to get more 'useful' battery life out of it? I'm wondering if it'll pull the same two hours the LS:1 is supposed to - and I'm still not sure how long the battery life on one of those is.