Fenix LD12 and LD22

kj2

Flashaholic
Guys,

Just saw these two on the Fenix website.

LD12; http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=107

• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses one 1.5V AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline ) battery
• 105mm (Length) x 21.5mm (Diameter)
• 54-gram weight (excluding battery and holster)
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Tactical tail cap switch with momentary-on function
• Side mode switch in the front
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

33uepav.jpg

nnwaxl.jpg

LD22;
http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=108

• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses two 1.5V AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline ) batteries
•156mm (Length) x 21.5mm (Diameter)
• 60-gram weight (excluding batteries and body clip)
• Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Push-button tail cap switch with momentary-on function
• Side mode switch in the front, fast and convenient
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

289xule.jpg

j6r137.jpg

- Looks like, that the clicky behind the head is gonna be on all LD- lights.

Last edited:

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
According to the official runtime chart, the LD22 brightness increased compare to LD12, instead of remaining the same brightness with almost double the runtime. Only the lowest mode remain at 3lm, but the runtime only increase by 10 hours, which puzzled me.

kj2

Flashaholic
And comparing the LD22 with the LD20. Nothing improved much. Lumens are higher but intensity and throw are less.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
I noticed they took the LD10 off the site.
LD10
Cree XP-G LED (R5)
87M
100lm 1hr 45min
45lm 4hr 40min
13lm 11hr
3lm 70hr

sholimar

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... just bought an LD10 R5 and didn't believe the guy when he told me that they won't be making them anymore. :)

I know there's not much of a difference (except the runtimes, of course), but what do you guys think (really now, I'm new and I want to know if to return it and wait for a little while)? Is the LD12 a better flashlight?
I see a little higher output and better runtimes, but the throw is shorter, as well as the beam intensity.
Also, is the LD12 limited to the side-press button for mode change? That would make a weird interface I think (in a "tactical grip", for example)...

As a side note, I really hoped for XM-L versions, not this side-clicky thing. :whistle:

Ishango

Enlightened
I know there's not much of a difference (except the runtimes, of course), but what do you guys think (really now, I'm new and I want to know if to return it and wait for a little while)? Is the LD12 a better flashlight?

I would keep the LD10. It's a very nice light (I own one myself and use it quite often). The newer specs are interesting, but for me they're not enough to make the switch. As kj2 stated, better wait for reviews on the new lights. However the mode switch on the side is a very interesting feature.

Last edited:

chewy78

Enlightened
I like the fact these will have a separate mode switch. Its a pain to keep going through the modes to get to medium or high or on my l2d q5. Plus it has a clip, this light would come in handy working on our farm without have to have a holster

chewy78

Enlightened
The LD22 looks like it could be a good upgrade for my L2D Q5

Last edited:

sholimar

Newly Enlightened
Thank you kj2 and Ishango for the speedy replies. :thumbsup:

After reading a little bit more about the new UI, I'll hold on to my LD10... I just don't like fumbling for two buttons in the dark. If the newer model could switch modes by both clicking the side button and half-pressing the tailcap one, then it would get my attention, but like it is at the moment - no way!
It would also be interesting if it could at least turn on if the side button is pressed for >1 second (so the "normal" mode of holding a flashlight would be possible), but clicking the tailcap once, then clicking another rubbery thing perpendicular to the first doesn't seem as fluid as the interface on the older models.
Of course, to each his own and I'm sure that many will actually prefer the new way of doing things.

P.S. Yeey! My one-week old purchase isn't outdated yet! :party:

chewy78

Enlightened
Its funny because I recently ordered 2 E21's from amazon.com. Maybe I will give them away as gifts to local friends and family or use for camping and sell my L2D Q5 .

Last edited:

arjay

Newly Enlightened
Yikes! the LD10 series has been my favorite EDC for years and the decision to have a separate button to change modes seems silly to me. I think I need to get some spares now before they are all gone. :(

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
I can't see myself liking this configuration of 2 buttons.
Seems more awkward to deal with 2 different button positions.

Either have both buttons on the side, or one button on the tail as with my LD10.

Just make a single rear button forward clicky for momentary, with tap to change modes when the button is fully pressed.

What Fenix really should concentrate on, is making shorter 3 and 4 cell NiMH AA lights, along the lines of the Q50 and the S5310.

-----------
Steve

regulation

Newly Enlightened
I guess I might know why the LD22' intensity and throw is weaker than the LD10.

It might due to the side-mode button.

They need to keep the size compact while adding a side button on the head, so it would reduce the deep of the reflector and resulte in a lower throw and intensity,

I can;t say which one is better since fenix tends to upgrade their products like this.

If a tail standing means much to you, then get the old version, if not, try the new one.:)

Swede74

Enlightened
Thanks to this thread, I've fallen in love with the little LD12 a mere day after I learned of its existence. I was only going to buy three lights 2012; a Zebralight T5 if it becomes available, a RCR123-powered one and a backup for my EDC (currently an iTP A3) but now it looks like it's going to be four new lights, for the following reasons:

1. I don't have a Fenix light.
2. I don't have a light with separate mode and on/off switches.
3. I don't have a single AA-light with a crenelated bezel.
4. I'm impressed by the runtime on the lowest level.

Why is it so easy to find reasons to buy a light that you don't really need, and why do even the weakest arguments eventually become convincing?