Diffuser for Fenix PD32?

Astro

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have enjoyed the forum which helped me research my first modern light after upgrading my Maglite AA with a TerraLUX kit.

I have recently purchased a PD32 which I love, great outdoors and in dark areas. I would like to use it for late night reading too, and would like a diffuse flood beam for this purpose.

I already bought the Fenix white cone, which is great but as it gives a 360degree spread I need the torch on turbo to cast enough light to comfortably read by - whilst in spot mode I use it on the lowest setting. Battery run time, heat and expense are all a concern. I would far prefer a flood beam that did not reduce the light so much so I could use the torch in one of the two lowest light settings.

I have read suggestions about a DIY approach using DC-Fix or Scotch magic tape, but I don't want to stick stuff to the coated front glass element.

So my question is - are there filters that fit? Fenix's flip top diffuser looks perfect, but it seems to come in one size for 20-21.5mm heads, and another for the headlamp with 31-32.5mm. My torch has a 25mm head.

Does the Surefire F04 diffuser (1inch) fit snuggly and safely and work with the PD32? Are there other alternatives?

Thanks

Astro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lou and Ico. Going to the DIY store later to see if they have anything that fits first.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
PET bottle caps.
It fits very well on my Fenix LD25 and EagleTac P20C2. They are about 26 mm, maybe you can make it fit some way.
And you can get it in different colours! :)

Edit: I put some black tape around the cap to avoid spill light and only get light out from the front.

Astro

Newly Enlightened
good thinking, will check out tops and fit...

(Couldn't find anything the right size at the DIY store)

CyberCT

Enlightened
Fenix just came out with a diffuser that fits the PD31 and PD32.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=106

I don't think you will have any problems with it running on low or even high, taking heat into consideration. I'm probably going to pick one up myself for my PD31 (which I modded with a neutral XPG-R5 a week ago, MUCH better tint on the lower modes)

Astro

Newly Enlightened
Hi CyberCT - I have that already - but when I tried using it to read I needed my light on high or turbo because it is spreading the light evenly round the whole room. Its a good accesory and I am happy with it to turn my torch into a lantern, but isn't working for me with reading. Holding a diffuser (I have some textured clear plastic, or magic tape or DC-fix) in front of the lens gives exactly the effect and brightness I want.

Have ordered the surefire diffuser now, fingers crossed it will fit without too much difficulty!

CyberCT

Enlightened
Sorry, I didn't read your first post throughly enough. I have four Fenix LD20s and Fenix originally came out with a cone diffuser that looks like like the AOD-SOW which is what you have. It was pure white (not translucent, you couldn't see through it). Then later Fenix released a new cone diffuser with the same exact dimensions, but was now more translucent and let 20% more light through.

From the pictures on the Fenix website, it looks like the diffuser is pure white like the original LD20 diffuser. Can you confirm if your diffuser is pure white and opaque, or translucent so you can see a little through it?

Astro

Newly Enlightened
It is milky white rather than pure white - kind of like white nylon I guess. If i put a thin red pen inside it, under some lighting I can see a bit of a shadow but I can't make out the shape or even colour of the pen. So not at all see-thru.

ltxi

Newly Enlightened
Off topic just a bit but seems like a good place to post a positive comment without starting a new, unneeded thread.

Just got a PD32 two days ago and really like it. New favorite general purpose light.

Astro

Newly Enlightened
Got the Surefire F04 - and it is too big (25mm) for the 24mm torch. I had hoped it would be designed with some sort of springiness to fit narrower torches.

Now I have to try and figure if there is a tidy and safe way to make it fit.