replacement for old Surefire X 80 bulb/reflector

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Does anybody out there know where I might find replacements or drop in LED modules for the old Surefire X 80 lamps? Bad enough Surefire discontinued the B 90 batteries ( although Streamlight/Maglite rechargables will work) But I have a dead lamp assembly in one of my old Laser products 8X and have no luck finding a replacement on the net. Surefire pushed me and all the other 8 X and Commander owners under the bus! You are my last hope.... I may have to cut down the carcass of the dead lamp assembly and try to mount a board and an LED in it myself. I haven't been around a while.... Glad there are still light heads here!

BIGLOU

Enlightened
The 8X and the 8AX/8NX are great lights let us know if you make an LED assembly I'll be interested in one. :takeit:

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
I will post here when I get a drop in together. Unfortunately my bill paying job keeps demanding my time. What good is Surefart's "no hassle warrenty" if they discontinue your bulb and battery. And even though the streamlight/maglite rechargable batts work, you have to buy a new charger! Yeah, I'm just a cheap old fart, but Surefire has gotten the last cent they'll see from me! FTA!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys. Does anybody out there know where I might find replacements or drop in LED modules for the old Surefire X 80 lamps? Bad enough Surefire discontinued the B 90 batteries ( although Streamlight/Maglite rechargables will work) But I have a dead lamp assembly in one of my old Laser products 8X and have no luck finding a replacement on the net. Surefire pushed me and all the other 8 X and Commander owners under the bus! You are my last hope.... I may have to cut down the carcass of the dead lamp assembly and try to mount a board and an LED in it myself. I haven't been around a while.... Glad there are still light heads here!

There have been more than a few attempts at this in the past. Perhaps, however, an adapter to make a Malkoff M31 work would be more profitable in the near future? I was hoping, at the time, for an equivalent to the Malkoff P7 prototype -- stupendously bright, unregulated, and floody. Nobody was able to provide it, but technology marches on, and an adapter for the M31 would likely get bought now in case of future need... I have a lot of buy in on the X80 platform, and not so much in the way of spare lamps... though they'll probably outlast my two remaining B90s in my four B90-eaters. :(

engreco

Newly Enlightened
Do you still need a X80 lamp? I´ve got one that I don`t need anymore because my B90 batteries and charger are lost... You can also buy my 8NX Commander to get replacement parts. I can`t use it without batteries anyway...

Write me an E-Mail if interested:

[email protected]

PS:
I`m from Germany. Shipping is quite expensive and would cost about 15,- Euro (ca. 19,- US-Dollar).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, thats no rocket science!
:rolleyes:
if someone is interrested in a led-solution, I can take a few pics of a crude-but-working "insert" I built quite some years ago.
Its with a luxeon, mounted on a thermal/mounting aluminium "block", with driver and springs, inserted from the back end and an optic for focusing, kept in place by the bezel ( and inserted from the front end)
All done with a vise and some files as tools, + maybe a drill or dremel ...

but to be honest ... there is a reason it is with a Luxeon (= very old):
about that time the 18650 wave "exploded" and especially the 8X never was really good
(if one also had the much better and more versatile 9N)
and it is really bad when it comes to led upgrading ...
and the 9N is not much better here ...

solution:
Put it on the shelf, get a 1*18650 (multimode) led light and be much better off:
* brutally smaller and lighter
* more "useful"
* more powerful (the modded 18650 light (with an XR-E) which replaced my 8X and 9N already gave the impression of being brighter)

PS: did You try to make a "normal" P60 insert fit?
I just checked the 8X with a few of the inserts I have here and there only seems to be necesary to widen the inner hole a tiny bit.
The inserts all are a bit shorter than the original LA (so they will fit in length) and the outer springs are about the suitable diameter (If not change/bend the spring)
Even when the inner hole is wider by 1-2 mm, the original bulb will still be mountable --> a "removable mod" ...
:thinking: Somehow I am thinking that this solution should be obvious :thinking:

Last edited: