Standard host sizes other than P60

sandanbob

Newly Enlightened
Hi- I did a search, but didn't find anything. Of course, being new, I may not have used the correct terminology, so I am asking for help.

I have learned that there are quite a few hosts that are compatible with the "P60" drop-ins, and there are many of said drop-ins.

So, here is my question- what other standard host and drop-in types are there? While I am sure some flashlights are unique, and use a proprietary size, there must be some others that follow standards.

Thank you for your time!

Bob

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there are 3 standardized sizes, following the E Surefires, the P60 Surefires, and the M Surefires. The first has 1", the second 1.25", and the third an even larger head. If you go to a dealer's website selling Surefires, and check on the filters/beam shapers, you will see the different types and be able to associate each filter/beam shaper with the appropriate head type.

Don (McGizmo) has a lot of custom lights following the E type, and the F04/F05 Surefire diffuser/red filter (for example) also fit the head of many of his lights (Haiku,...PD,...,). HDS also has 1" head. Fivemega then also produces bodies and heads according to the different standards. Don also produces bigger head lights, on an exceptional basis (current one -- the Makai).

By the way, this does not mean full compatibility in terms of threads, this is something that needs to be checked individually. But for instance you can buy a Fivemega 2x123A body that matches the E family in terms of size and also threads.

There is also such a thing as an adapter, e.g., one that fits an E body and can then accept a P60 head and drop-in, and a bigger adaptor that matches P60 type bodies onto an M head.

The Peak lights have their own standardization, and can be interchanged with each other in many cases. I believe maybe also Mac's customs have their own type of interchangeability.

What else? The new run of Surefires has unfortunately abandoned their own standardization, in a way trying to muscle out a large existing family of products that complement their own. Yes, maybe the lose a sale when someone buys bodies and other parts from 3rd parties, but also they get a lot of business since may of us continue to buy many Surefire parts. As these parts stop being produced, e.g., bezels, and tailcaps, now we will have to buy all of these from 3rd parties. So a double-edged business decision, in my opinion, by Surefire.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's a "C8" size?

I've noticed some "P60" dropins that are made using a threaded round plate holding the LED, inside the metal cone. Those look like they're a standard size threaded plate that might fit something a bit smaller than the P60 opening.

Surefire -- I'd guess --- might have had shapes and sizes it patented long ago that have expired, and is coming out with something different enough to acquire a fresh patent or copyright. Kind of like a drug company has to do to keep control of their market and shut out generics.

Watch for attempts to shut down access to websites featuring that kind of material if SOPA/PIPA comes back. You could end up forbidden from even talking about sites that aren't on the approved list for intellectual property.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another standard which I forgot to mention stems from the Maglites. There are drop-ins (including from Malkoff) that fit Maglites, and in the past also Elektrolumens produced some drop-ins to fit certain Maglites.

Also Elektrolumens modifies the old military style Anglelux flashlights with a very modern LED (XM-L), and the result is a very capable survival style flashlight with good lumen output and excellent runtime.

One more thing since my last post in this thread, I noticed discussion in the 2012 Surefire Shot Show thread (page 11!) on how some new models no longer match the existing standards, so, for example, might not even be able to use Surefire's own filters and beam shapers any more!

yifu

Enlightened
D36 size fits in M series Surefires and some others, and it is probably the second most common host size.

sandanbob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information- I know that some of the "Ultrafire" branded lights have different size heads (I own a couple) and wondered about what they might be compatible with. And, I was wondering what they would take if I ever wanted to upgrade the LED. So, I am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks again!