Oveready L1 vs L3

bkumanski

Enlightened
The L3 appears to have more features (like soft switching of modes and more options for them), but is there any output/beam difference between them? They both appear to have the same lumens (per Oveready's site) and appear to have the same optics (just looking at the photos). Other than the bells and whistles changes, is there really much of a difference besides the price? Also, the dropins fit Surefires, but does anyone know if it fits a Malkoff MD2? Since Malkoffs fit SF, I was wondering if it went the other way OR if the L1/2 head will fit an MD3 body or do I have to get a complete light to get a 3 cell setup? Thanks!

bkumanski

Enlightened
Sorry, I'm a dummy:stupid:. one level vs 3...got it. Other questions still stand about compatibility. Also, anyone have any opinions or experiences with reliability vs other high end lights such as Malkoffs, Peak, or Surefire?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Assuming the same LED and engine version (ie 3.10), the basic difference is the number of levels: L1 is an L3 without low and medium. The L1 has a less gentle (more tactical) on/off.

The 'p60 platform' has no official specifications. While it is true that most drop ins work in SF hosts, it is not true that most hosts work with those same drop ins. In this case, MD hosts are optimized for MD drop ins, while the triples (optimized for thermal and electrical contact with SF - without the need for tape) are to large to fit in many other hosts.

That being said, some have found ways to make it work, usually modifying the MD host.

Last edited:

bkumanski

Enlightened
Thanks, I already have an MD3 body and switch, I was just wondering if it would work. A better option for me would be to buy a new body and switch (and people complain that Malkoffs are expensive...:whistle:). I was just over at the Malkoff M91 thread and am trying to decide which to get. I like Malkoff, but the beamshots from the Oveready were nothing short of stunning (and oddly, it seemed to throw a little better too). A common response would be to just buy both and be happy, but that may be a little too much for my wallet.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Long term CPFers tend to settle in with something akin to an investment portfolio. Gather $1000 or more likely $1000 worth of lights (for example), then start exchanging (selling/buying) some of that initial collection out for new or alternate versions. The stuff that stays around tends to be/come your favorites.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
My investment portfolio just hit the 5k mark. In the past year. Ugh. Anyways I have an M91W and an L1N. I wish I had a 3 mode but it has its place in my C2. Its one of my monster lights. It puts out more light than the Malkoff because it has about twice the lumens. The Malkoff in my MD4 host however has a hi/lo mode, similar to what the L3 would have. Both are excellent dropins and you really can't go wrong with either. So yes, just get both. I can't bring myself to sell either one of them as they are both pretty awesome. Another thing to consider is that these are pretty hi demand dropins battery wise. You would want a host that can fit an 18650, or 2. The Malkoff's come that way standard, or you can buy bored SF hosts from ElectronGuru at overready.com or on the MP. Here are some shots.
DSC00902.JPG

DSC00903.JPG

DSC00904.JPG

DSC00897.JPG

M91W on left L1N on right Both on High

Note* I added a bike handle grip to my MD4. Better grip in the winter time. (I live in Maine.)

Long term CPFers tend to settle in with something akin to an investment portfolio. Gather $1000 or more likely $1000 worth of lights (for example), then start exchanging (selling/buying) some of that initial collection out for new or alternate versions. The stuff that stays around tends to be/come your favorites.

S1LVA

Enlightened

Very well said. This is EXACTLY what I have done over time.

S1LVA